Corsair F4U-1D aerial wire

fingers

I'm just finishing an old Hobbycraft Corsair F4U-1D it has two aerial masts one behind the cockpit and one in front offset to the right, the instructions do not offer any rigging details and apparently require instalation of both masts is this correct?

Should there be an aerial wire at all and where does it go too and from?

I originally, accidentally, posted this in the WW1 section and couldn't get it moved so I apologise for near duplicate postings.

Seems the front antenna has a wire from its top back to the tail; the aft antenna has a wire from its base back to the tail. Regardless the wires are hard to see in war time photos, others may have better references

HTHs

F4U-1DonCV20Ready.jpg

disregard the notes on the pic. they are for another project.

ac1.jpg

Thanks for the replies Gents.

The aircraft in question is from the USS Intrepid, Okinawa 1945.

I also have found the WW2 photos difficult to decipher as far as clarity is concerned.

Why would they have 2 masts?

"What is This?" is a guide stripe, painted on most if not all Corsairs, for the pilots use to guide his foot down to the spring-loaded kick step in the fuselage side.

david

Seems the front antenna has a wire from its top back to the tail; the aft antenna has a wire from its base back to the tail. Regardless the wires are hard to see in war time photos, others may have better references

HTHs

F4U-1DonCV20Ready.jpg

disregard the notes on the pic. they are for another project.

ac1.jpg

I believe, I have nothing really on Intrepid '45 Corsairs. Yet, talking of the time period wiring configuration, the front mast to vertical stabiliser and back to fuselage port, would be most probable idea IMO. I surely do not know the reason forcing the designing team to produce this standing out column in front of the pilot of such a modern aircraft. Even more when there are examples of crafts performing pretty well without it.

i haven't nailed it down completely yet, but i suspect the differences in Antenna post configuration were dictated by whether the Corsair was land-based or carrier based. I've seen a lot of three tone Marine Corsairs with just one antenna post located on the aft fuselage. F4U-2s usually had no antenna posts at all.

Island-based Corsairs (-1As) often featured an aerial running from the leading edge of the outboard horizontal stabilizer (usually the starboard but sometimes port), up to the spring tensioner (which attaches to the post on the rudder), down to a ceramic insulator located on the starboard aft fuselage right behind the canopy frame.

The Carrier-Based (and later F4U-1D) configuration is often typified by an antenna aerial running from the top of the forward post, back to the spring tensioner (attached to the rudder post), and then back down to the ceramic insulator on the right hand side of the rear fuselage. If you look at good photographs close up, there is often a curved area "dished" out of the rear canopy frame to assure adequate clearance for the antenna lead in.

A final configuration appears on very late Corsairs, which i suspect to be the last of the FG-1Ds. In it, the ceramic insulator is sometimes seen on the port side (mirrored location from right), running to a spring tensioner attachment on the very tip of the leading edge "fin" (NOT the rudder) and then connecting to a forward antenna post.

Nailing these nuances down of -1 Corsairs is hard because most of the surviving -1s were Goodyear manufactured and most photos are taken of restored FGs which have gone thru rework at least once. I know its a cop out, but refer to photographs of your intended subject.

HTH,

david

"What is This?" is a guide stripe, painted on most if not all Corsairs, for the pilots use to guide his foot down to the spring-loaded kick step in the fuselage side.

david

Thanks David getsmileyCAN54UAK.gif for that bit of info.

It always seems that something is unknown or unclear ---Sigh --thats why I like modeliing something new to learn with every kit.

Island-based Corsairs (-1As) often featured an aerial running from the leading edge of the outboard horizontal stabilizer (usually the starboard but sometimes port), up to the spring tensioner (which attaches to the post on the rudder), down to a ceramic insulator located on the starboard aft fuselage right behind the canopy frame.

Except all those marine Birdcages and -1As with front mast configuration, usually the tall one as there where differences here too. I am not saying the research above is crap - it sticks for most occasions, yet You've got to be alert.

There may be a good reason for this strange mast but what would it be?

Except all those marine Birdcages and -1As with front mast configuration, usually the tall one as there where differences here too. I am not saying the research above is crap - it sticks for most occasions, yet You've got to be alert.

There may be a good reason for this strange mast but what would it be?

Yeah, that's why i used words like "Often" and not "Always" and "Consult photographs of the actual plane you are building, if possible". Like i said, i'm still trying to make sense out of these configuration changes, hopefully so i can differentiate between a Goodyear and Vought-built Corsair.

david

Yeah, that's why ...

david

I have noticed that, of course. I hope You have not found my post offensive. If so, l apologise. Just wanted to present the exceptions. I am very interested in the research on the subject. Good intentions, You know... . :)

Edited by greatgonzo

I have noticed that, of course. I hope You have not found my post offensive. If so, l apologise. Just wanted to present the exceptions. I am very interested in the research on the subject. Good intentions, You know... . :)

No problem.

-d-