1/48 AZ Tunnan pics

dragonlanceHR

On 2017-01-30 at 15:40, Caerbannog said:

Well - if they corrected it I would buy. Pilot Replicas is too expensive and HobbyBoss too small ;-)

René

7 hours ago, exdraken said:

AZ was also quite expensive! Lots of resin in there.... add to that a new , longer landing gear, Maestro conversion, better decals , maybe metal pitots.....you end up far above Pilot Replicas kit! Ask me :(

I have both.....

So true. Price in Sweden: Pilot Replicas: 599 SEK. AZ Models: 445 SEK. You get pretty much for those 154 SEK. Even if the new AZ is spot on, Pilot Replicas is still far more value for your money.

By the way, the problem with AZ is not the nose, but the cockpit. The body is too thick (high) where the cockpit is located. I tried to do at least something better without the Maestro Conversion, cutting away lots of plastic from both the body halves and the canopy and re-shaping the cockpit area. The air intake was shortened and the whole nose area re-shaped. The result was definitely not perfect, but it looks more than a Tunnan than the original kit - and also more Tunnan-like than the Maestro conversion.

However: Do not try this at home! Buy Pilot Replicas instead!

DSC_0553_zpsc12da231.jpg

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 4

On 31.1.2017 at 8:45 AM, exdraken said:

AZ was also quite expensive! Lots of resin in there.... add to that a new , longer landing gear, Maestro conversion, better decals , maybe metal pitots.....you end up far above Pilot Replicas kit! Ask me :(

I have both.....

Yes - but the base kit was going cheap if you looked around. I got it for far less than the regular asking price... and sold it on because of the poor nose shape :-(

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
9 hours ago, Mike Esposito said:

Model hobbies has it for $30 usd!:o

Waaaay cheaper than Pilot Replicas.

Well
there might be a reason for the cheaper price.
I would wait to buy it until some pics of the actual plastic arrives and a built up example.
Suspect they haven't done their homework and acually uppdated the plastic, but I hope to be corrected on that matter.

5 hours ago, flarpen said:

Well
there might be a reason for the cheaper price.
I would wait to buy it until some pics of the actual plastic arrives and a built up example.
Suspect they haven't done their homework and acually uppdated the plastic, but I hope to be corrected on that matter.

As Flarpen writes, there is a reason for the cheaper price. 

AZ Models Tunnan:

Tunnan_hot5_zps6c9c615f.jpg

...Pilot Replicas:

17_1_zpsqsnjkwhr.jpg

The real thing:

redJ_zpswm7eiwll.jpeg

I think most of us are ready to pay extra to get a Tunnan that actually looks like a Tunnan. Hobbyboss could be a decent alternative - but only for those of you that build models in 1/52 scale...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bjorn said:

As Flarpen writes, there is a reason for the cheaper price. 

AZ Models Tunnan:

Tunnan_hot5_zps6c9c615f.jpg

...Pilot Replicas:

17_1_zpsqsnjkwhr.jpg

The real thing:

redJ_zpswm7eiwll.jpeg

I think most of us are ready to pay extra to get a Tunnan that actually looks like a Tunnan. Hobbyboss could be a decent alternative - but only for those of you that build models in 1/52 scale...

AZ claims they retooled the kit. This is NOT supposed to be the original, as you have shown in your pic. 

9 hours ago, Mike Esposito said:

AZ claims they retooled the kit. This is NOT supposed to be the original, as you have shown in your pic. 

Yes I know that they said that a few years ago. But is this really the case? From what I have heard it is just a rebox with new decals sold to a cheaper price.

• Like 1