Hawker Hunter FGA.9 XE601

krazyivan1942

Hi all,

looking for som advise on the above A/C.

I'm looking to build the 1/48 Academy kit using Aires & SBS detail sets & Cutting Edge decals.

Looking at photos of XE601 it does not have the bulges/link collectors under the nose/fuselage, but a rectangular box set up.

What is this?

If I built the kit with the link collectors, would this still be correct?

Any feedback wouldbe appreciated.

Cheers, Paul

Hi Paul, I have spoken to several ex Boscombe personnel about the rectangular box that replaced the bulged link collecters and the only info I gained was that they were wood! The modification happened whilst the aircraft was still in the grey/red scheme so would be wrong for a Raspberry Ripple version. Also check the decal set has the underwing serials in white as I remember seeing a decal set with them in black. MODeller

Hi Paul

Just seen your question. I believe we may well have what you are talking about in our store at Boscombe Down Aviation Collection still. We certainly still have the very person who worked on the actual aircraft for a long time! XE601 was in our museum for a while but as you may well know, is now in the hands of Hunter Flying in Exeter. The 'Porton' spray tanks went with the aircraft when sold, but am pretty sure that we have some bits left. Ray, or 'Mr Hunter' as he is often called would be able to tell me exactly what replaced the 'Sabrinas' underneath the fuselage that you talk of. I will be seeing him on Wednesday, when his head isn't stuck inside our Link trainer that he is restoring back to working condition. Will get back to you soon as.

Regards

Rob Hames (BDAC Communications Assistant)

Hi

Will post up my findings tomorrow evening after talking with 'the man in the know..' As an add on perhaps try AirBritain and their photographic library, for photo's of XE601, there are some clear pics of it in service, in both grey/red, and raspberry ripple schemes. The parts you talk of are visible, but not close enough to clearly view. We also have ex A&AEE Hunter F6 XF375, which was also finished in grey/red scheme at our collection awaiting a rebuild, and I have drawn this many times, at present it is in two fuselage sections with wings on trolleys, and is fascinating to be able to see what is inside this a/c.

Regards

Rob

Hi Paul

The 'Porton' spray tanks went with the aircraft when sold, but am pretty sure that we have some bits left. Ray, Regards

Rob Hames (BDAC Communications Assistant)

Paul the tanks were in the hanger in 2006/2007 on the right hand side before the F2 cockpit, well hidden though as I took photo's for my 1/72 build (which is now in the Salisbury model shop display).

Steve.

Hi Speedy

Ray Mewitt will assure you that the Porton tanks did go with 601 to Exeter much to his disdain! I've seen them at Exeter in their hangar, and half seriously asked John Sparkes for them back. They were considering filling them with water to 'spray' at airshows, but he said H&S being what it is....... Yes we do have some parts of tanks in our collection still, and will ascertain exactly where these are from today when I speak to Ray.

Thanks

Rob

Hi all

Here are the promised findings from my visit to Boscombe Down Aviation Collection today, and a lenghty chat with Mr Ray Mewitt, who looked after XE601 for it's entire time at the A&AEE.

XE601 started life as an F6, and was upgraded whilst at Boscombe to F6a standard; this involved strengthening of the wings, and a tail parachute. Essentially an FGA9.

There were other Hunter's in the fleet, and it was XG290 that first carried the 'Porton' tanks, these going later onto XE601, and Ray believes XF249 previously as well.

These were non jettison-able and were produced by ML Aviation. These early versions (part of which Speedy saw in our collection a few years ago) were replaced by a later upgraded tank, again by ML Aviation, these being the ones that we unfortunately lost when 601 was sold.

Within the collection we still have XE601's Tail cone, Gun Pack, and the all important 'Sabrinas', the link collectors fitted either side of the forward fuselage.

We also have a pair of 230gal Mild Steel tanks, with paint reference DTD 556A if that is of interest.

When the 'Porton' spray tanks were fitted, 601 was also fitted with an instrumented gun pack. This went with her when sold. The one we have is hers but is of the standard variety.

Looking at pictures of 601, and coming to the question of; what are the fairings on either side in place of the 'Sabrinas', Ray had to think on it. He could not recall anything else being used instead of the link collector boxes, so we had a 'gathering' of minds and came to the conclusion that they were;

An aerodynamic fit to counteract the pressure differences around the airframe when the collection boxes were removed, and also as a protective measure to cover the exposed link ejection tubes mouths.

The rear part of the gun pack area contains the radio equipment, and upon checking through a lot of data within the Hunter AP101, and the specific one for XE601, and a considerable amount written by Ray himself, we could find no differences in fit externally, for gun pack or radio bay.

The normal bulged collectors come in two parts, for and aft, rear part hinged for access to radio bay, foward hinged to access gun pack.

You will excuse lack of photos of gun pack etc as we have a ban on photography within the airbase, but am sure that there are AP's available with the diagrams which I refer to here.

The only difference that I could see within the AP was; Chapter 2 Weapons, Primary Servicing:

Standard Gun Package Installation

Front Fuselage

Gun Package Remove.....for servicing

Gun Barrels

Spray Tank Gun Package Installation

Front Fuselage

Rad. Alt.

installation Ensure Disconnected

Gun Package

Gun Barrels Remove

Not much, but there was a difference, though not externally.

The collection pods are very 'sculpted' inside with all of the link chutes leading from the pack itself, so perhaps worth modelling later?

Sorry that I cannot shed more light upon the 'bumps' that have been noted, perhaps a message to John Sparkes at Hunter Flying down at Exeter would be able to shed some light upon their construction and fittings. Am sure upon viewing photos that they line up perfectly with the link ejector mouths, and when compared to our 601 gunpack the guide markings above them suggest this also.

Regards

Rob

After a bit more searching, visually you will find some good shots of the box over the link chute on the 'Thunder & Lightnings' website, under of course, Hunter. As we have the original canon pack, and the sabrinas, both painted blue, and XE601 was sold with the Instrumented gun pack, again in blue, either are viable. One of our members mentioned 'Radio Altimeter', could this be the box we speak of. I have emailed John Sparkes at Hunter Flying to get his view, as 601 is now with him, just to see what it actually made of for a start.....

• 2 years later...

Sad news.
For those, who like me, remember XE601 with her favourite pilot JT at her controls its with a heavy heart that I pass on news of JT's passing.
A gentleman, a rare humble Fighter Pilot and a hero of mine.

You will be missed JT. Blue Skies and Fair Winds old friend. RIP.