1/72 Hobbyboss PZL (Mil) Mi-2T Hoplite

Hi Everyone,

This is my build up of the new 1/72 Hobbyboss PZL Swidnik (Mil) Mi-2T Hoplite. I built this completely OOB (and it felt great! LOL), decals included. The moldings are up to current standards in that there are finely recessed panel lines and rivet detail. Interior detail is light but looks the part, with pilot/co-pilot seats, collective and cyclic sticks, and cabin seats in the cargo area. The overhead console and instrument panels are represented with decals. The overall fit is exceptional, with just a little filler needed where the forward engine cowling meets up with forward fuselage/wind screen piece. Speaking of the frontal area, Hobbyboss gets major kudos for getting this area spot on. The other 1/72 Mi-2 kits that were released prior to the HB kit all fall short in the windscreen/nose/forward engine cowling area. The only let downs that stick out to me are the oversize main rotor and tail rotor. The main rotor-head and swash-plate assembly are way too big. The main rotor-blades are too long and the trim tabs need to be relocated forward a bit. Lastly, the tail rotor blades are too long and a little narrow in chord. Raiding these bits from an Intech/Mastercraft Mi-2T/URP-G kit will resolve the rotor issues in the Hobbyboss kit. The finish was done with Model Master Enamels (FS34079 Dark Green, RLM 78 Hellblau for the lower surfaces). As mention, the decals came from the kit (the tail band however was painted). The markings represent an Mi-2 from the defunct air arm of the Civil Defense Regiment. All in all this was a very fun kit to build. The oversize rotors do give it negative points, but its still the best Mi-2 kit now available. In progress photos are here.

All comments and critiques welcomed. Thanks for reading and looking at the photos!

100_8498.jpg

100_8497.jpg

100_8500.jpg

100_8499.jpg

100_8496.jpg

100_8495.jpg

100_8505.jpg

100_8503.jpg

Cheers,

Alby

Really nice built. Pity only of too big main rotor head and blades - these are bit longer and have wrong number of sections (21 instead of 20) with wrongly placed trimming plates. The rotor just look like from some bigger helicopter. I am asking myself, why HB makes such nice choppers, but at ALL OF THEM they must do something wrong which is not easily correctable.

So you did very nice job, HB, AGAIN as usually bad one...

That is lovely work, the tone and shading are great. It nice to see an earlier Russian helicopter.

It looks really great, very nice paint!

Hi Alby

This is for me the most ugly soviet (russian?) helicopter, never the less i love it!!!!!!! I already read the in progress process and you convinced me to buy one!

Great job! Congratulations!

I would like to ask you a picture with something near that can show us the size of the kit when finished.

Best regards

Vitor Costa