Airfix Dr Who

According to a report on Eye of Horus, a Dr Who website I visit regularly, Airfix are working on additional kits including the current Dalek and Cyberman designs, plus ALL the classic series Doctors!

www.eyeofhorus.org.uk/content/news/2007/11-november07.html

I do hope that's true. Now, if they're going to do classic companions as well, can I volunteer to measure Sarah Jane? :wub:

I know for a fact that the Daleks are in the works from chatting to the chaps at Telford, and you could see a bust of Christopher Ecclestone on the sculptor's desk in the Money Programme recently. Oh yes, and there's going to be a figure of Kylie's character done, again straight from the horse's mouth at Telford. I also seem to remember talk of a figure of Rose, which makes sense if she's going to make a reappearance on the show (whether it's a guest slot, or a regular apprearance, I don't know).

Sounds like fun times ahead for modelling Doctor Who fans, doesn't it? :)

Personally, I'd like a classic series Dalek kit (Not too keen on the current ones, they look too chunky), as if they get it right, you'd be able to do anything from the first ones from 1963 up to the white/gold ones used in 1988. That could bring in a lot of cash. And a Micheal Wisher version of Davros to go with them too! I wouldn't say no to a 1968 model Cyberman either, specifically the one from The Invasion.

Personally, I'd like a classic series Dalek kit (Not too keen on the current ones, they look too chunky), as if they get it right, you'd be able to do anything from the first ones from 1963 up to the white/gold ones used in 1988. That could bring in a lot of cash. And a Micheal Wisher version of Davros to go with them too! I wouldn't say no to a 1968 model Cyberman either, specifically the one from The Invasion.

I'd buy any and all of those. Somewhere in the loft I've got a part-completed Comet Miniatures Dalek, which will one day be finished as a battleship grey one from Genesis of the Daleks. I only wish I could get more without paying through the nose.

I'd heard a bad review of the Comet kit and stayed well clear of it. Tony James was flogging a few at Telford. Not sure how many he had but it's been a long time since I've seen any of them about.

I've a pair of Sevans ones in the loft to rebuild, a 1963 model and one of the white/gold 1988 ones. I'd like another to do in the grey/black scheme with the black slats from Destiny, but the chances of finding another Sevans kit are slim to say the least.

I'd heard a bad review of the Comet kit and stayed well clear of it.

I don't think it's a bad kit, just a hard one. The skirt is made of flat panels, which have to be glued to the base and to each other, making sure they all fit and line up well enough to fit the shoulders on top. Hence why mine is unfinished...

Actually, if I knew where in the loft it was, I might dig it out and try and finish it. I think I've done too much work on it for it to qualify for the sci-fi GB, but it could be good practice in the meantime.

The Sevans kit is similar but has the added horror of being a vacform... The good thing is that there are alignment sections in the base of the skirt and there's a stiffener section at the top but it's not an easy kit by any stretch of the imagination. My first vacform kit too.

The Sevans kit is 5th scale and I think the radio control ones are the same size.

The Sevans kit is similar but has the added horror of being a vacform... The good thing is that there are alignment sections in the base of the skirt and there's a stiffener section at the top but it's not an easy kit by any stretch of the imagination. My first vacform kit too.

The Sevans kit is 5th scale and I think the radio control ones are the same size.

I'd often thought about getting a Sevans Dalek when they used to be advertised on the back of Dr Who magazine, but never seemed to have the money. I've got a radio controlled one, though.

IIRC the Comet one is 1/8th scale. I believe they did some resin or vinyl Doctors too. I seem to remember a grinning Tom Baker proferring jelly babies, and a Jon Pertwee. They also did Dan Dare and the Mekon too, which I really really wanted, but really really couldn't afford :wall:

The link below is to a fascinating site listing and following the various Dalek props over the course of the series.

http://www.dalek6388.co.uk/

Cool site, I've bookmarked that. Thanks Wooksta.

Now I must repair to the loft to find my Comet Dalek... well, maybe when the weather warms up a bit!

• 3 weeks later...
Cool site, I've bookmarked that. Thanks Wooksta.

Now I must repair to the loft to find my Comet Dalek... well, maybe when the weather warms up a bit!

Hello Folks

First post so sorry for not introducing myself (I'll do that later)

I have to say that the Comet kit is, er, rubbish. It's inaccurate to any prop that appeared in the show. It seems to me to be a bit of a mix of various aspects of dalek design. Here's a list of it's problems:

The angles around the top and bottom of the skirt section are wrong, leading to an incorrect skirt and fender shape.

The rake at the back of the skirt is too steep.

The gun and arm boxes are the wrong shape (they should not have paralel top and bottoms which are also paralel to the floor when viewed from the side)

Eyeball and discs wrong shape. The ball has too much chamfered area at the front and the discs should be flat not convex.

Gun is wrong (ok, the sevans gun is wrong too, but it's easier to scratch build a replacement in 1/5 scale. )

The shoulder belts have an odd convex section. The neck rings are too thin.

The dome is entirely the wrong shape. Too shallow with a poorly defined transition from curve to chamfer.

There's more but that's a start. It's quite nicely moulded, but if it were a Spitfire kit it would be criticised for being the wrong shape, having no Gull wing section and incorect panel lines:-)

It's an easier build than the Sevans, but frankly the sevans is way ahaead.

I've been lucky enough to be able to measure a 1960s dalek, and have made several full size ones, all with a dome mould taken from an original Shawcraft prop, so can speak from experience:-)

Hope that helps, and er, nice forum you have here :-)

Hi all, just found this forum, thought you might like a peek at the new Tardis kit...here's a review I did over at the ATF site...

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/about7568.html

Oooh that looks lovely :-)

Want. That's me off to the model shop tomorow.

Looking forward to that dalek :-)

And you are welcome Obi. It's probably worth building, but don't expect accuracy:-) Mine's been sitting in it's box half built for about ten years...

Edited by Stuflyer

Looking forward to that dalek :-)

And you are welcome Obi. It's probably worth building, but don't expect accuracy:-) Mine's been sitting in it's box half built for about ten years...

So has mine!