Eurofighter Typhoon Centreline Weapons Pylon

Calum

I'm building a Revell Typhoon and I want to put a litening pod on the centre line. But like the inner pylons Revell don't give you this :angrysoapbox.sml:

Does anyone have a good image of the centreline pylon on the Typhoon?

Is it the same as the wing pylons where the drop tanks are fitted?

Or are the pylons fitted with a tank different from those fitted for a weapon or other store (They are different in kit wit the tank pylons significantly smaller)

Any and all help appreciated

Calum,

I'd like to second this - I'm dying (well, not literally, but you know what I mean!) for a complete set of the missing typhoon pylons - centre, inboard and ASRAAM launcher for pylon 3 and 8 for all three major scales. I know Two Bobs have done the inboard pylons, but I am increasingly really surprised an aftermarket producer hasn't got round to doing the set yet, perhaps including a 'right handed' Litening pod as well to save chopping up an Isracast job. There must be a whole bunch of RAF modellers who would appreciate the effort . . .

For the time being, I'm looking at using a 1/48 Hasegawa F-16 wing pylon - using the mark 1 eyeball, this seems to have roughly the same front end and depth so could be a good kick-off point. It would be very handy to have a dimensions or a drawing or both; can anybody oblige without infringing official secrets?

Yours in hope, Paul

It would be very handy to have a dimensions or a drawing or both; can anybody oblige without infringing official secrets?

In a word, no. Sorry.

The best photo I have is in my reference thread:

Dscf2829.jpg

The pylon is roughly the same length as a LITENING pod. Here's a couple of photos of one I scratchbuilt for my 1/32nd scale kit:

25677_10150120432715051_626415050_11491037_4780751_n.jpg

25677_10150120432695051_626415050_11491036_6380479_n.jpg

The edges could be a bit sharper, but it was my first attempt at scratchbuilding anything. Sizes and general arrangement is taken from the drawings though, so it's pretty much right.

Cheers for the photos mate!

Will use these for my own 1/48th scratch building effort. I wonder if anyone on the Britmodeller forums could cast some in resin if we supply the masters? Don't know much about casting myself, but perhaps we could set up an informal Britmodeller cooperative, not-for-profit aftermarket effort!

Best regards, Paul

Thanks Bob

I found your scratch build one. Do you have the dimensions handy as I'm going to do the same. I may adapt one of the spare wing pylons as I'm going to have 2 tanks fitted in those positions

Google also found this thread which as some quite handy images

Litening images on ARC

Edited by Calum

Cheers for the photos mate!

Will use these for my own 1/48th scratch building effort. I wonder if anyone on the Britmodeller forums could cast some in resin if we supply the masters? Don't know much about casting myself, but perhaps we could set up an informal Britmodeller cooperative, not-for-profit aftermarket effort!

Best regards, Paul

I'd very interested in a set of these for my 1/32nd Tiffie. If anyone wants to supply the masters, I'm O.K with having a crack at producing them in resin. I'm O.K with getting the silicone/resin casting kit but I'd need to have postage covered for any sets sent out and, possibly, a little on top to cover the cost of new supplies. Definately not looking to make a quick buck here, just hoping to be able to supply these parts for those that need/want them. Anyone that's interested, please feel free to pm me so we can get something sorted out. Bye for now, best regards, David.

Thanks Bob

I found your scratch build one. Do you have the dimensions handy as I'm going to do the same. I may adapt one of the spare wing pylons as I'm going to have 2 tanks fitted in those positions

Alas I don't have the dimensions to hand, sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up scratching something up. I started with one the spare pylons for the stations where the external tanks go. I intend to use the tanks on those stations so these are spare.

EF-Typhoon-41.jpg

Litening pod is the Hasegawa one from the new weapons set "E"

EF-Typhoon-42.jpg

Edited by Calum

EF-Typhoon-41.jpg

The fairing you've added at the top of the pylon needs to be a little bit longer - the front edge of it should line up roughly with the rear of the lump in the middle of the pylon (which is the back end of the ERU).

Apologies for the technical terminology!

Some good scratchbuilding there! The only thing I might add is that the photo angle is a little deceiving. I stand to be corrected, but I understand that the pylon is almost exactly the same length as the pod, so your pylon needs a little shortening.

Hope this helps, Paul

• 2 years later...

Did anyone make any masters for this pylon?

Is there any rake on the pylon or does the pylon/pod lie parallel to the under fuselage?, I may scatch one up for Typhoon project.

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

I'm building a Revell Typhoon and I want to put a litening pod on the centre line. But like the inner pylons Revell don't give you this angrysoapbox.sml.gif

Does anyone have a good image of the centreline pylon on the Typhoon?

Is it the same as the wing pylons where the drop tanks are fitted?

Or are the pylons fitted with a tank different from those fitted for a weapon or other store (They are different in kit wit the tank pylons significantly smaller)

Any and all help appreciated

Just to let you know that the Drop tanks with the integral pylon supplied in the kit are the same item used on the centre line.

Selwyn

Just to let you know that the Drop tanks with the integral pylon supplied in the kit are the same item used on the centre line.

Selwyn

I don't think so, there are no sway braces/crutches on the tank pylons.

Shaun.

I don't think so, there are no sway braces/crutches on the tank pylons.

Shaun.

Exactly! The pylon is part of the tank.

To put another store on the center fuselage station you have to fit a dedicated stores pylon. But the tank is a universal item that fits both centre wing stations and the centre fuselage station.

Selwyn

Exactly! The pylon is part of the tank.

To put another store on the center fuselage station you have to fit a dedicated stores pylon. But the tank is a universal item that fits both centre wing stations and the centre fuselage station.

Selwyn

I see a bit of confusion here.

I'm talking about the pylon that carries LITENING pod as per the thread title and photo's, not can the tank be mounted on the centerline station.

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

I see a bit of confusion here.

We are talking about the pylon that carries LITENING pod as per the thread title and photo's, not can the tank be mounted on the centerline station.

Shaun.

If you look at the original post the question also asked about drop tanks, I was answering that bit!

Selwyn

Sorry did not mead to offend :cheers: , but with the thread two years old I thought I would pop the question about the LITENING pylon.

Shaun.

Shaun no offence taken whatsoever!

By the way It isn't a "Lightning pylon." Its for any store cleared on the Centre fuselage station. It can also have the Thales Damocles targeting pod fitted as well.

http://twicsy.com/i/eTXY6c

Selwyn

(Have a Happy and peaceful Christmas and New year!)