What kits are there of Mil Mi helicopters in 1/72

wkennerley

I think Bilek also do an MI-8, but I have no idea as to quality or accuracy.

It does figure in my wish list, so if anyone has any insight to this kit, it would help me amke my mind up.

We discussed the available Mi-8 kits a while ago over on ARC.

The result was that I did a web page listing them here

During our deliberations, no-one mentioned a Mi-8 kit from Bilek - so if anyone has any information, please let us know and I will update the website.

I also produced these two photos showing the difference between a 'first-generation' Mi-8T and a 'second generation' Mi-8MT/Mi-17........

First Generation - Mi-8T

The first generation Hip (to give it its ASCC Reporting Name) has the tail rotor mounted on the starboard side of the tail boom.

The engine intakes are longer and are not fitted with particle separators, the turbine exhaust nozzles are circular with thin pipes running along the front and the rear of the engine cowling curves down to meet the tail boom in a continuous line.

Some early Hips had shorter fuel tanks with a wider dished cutout for the main landing gear, held on by three straps.

Later first gen Hips had the standard, four-strap tank.

A-Differences_01.jpg

These Hips bore the designation Mi-8T (for transport) or Mi-8P (for Passenger - with square windows etc) – followed by a range of sub-types – Mi-8TV, Mi-8PS, PA, TS, AT etc etc.

Export versions – to India, Finland etc retained the Mi-8T designation.

Second Generation - Mi-8MT

The second generation Hip made its first flight on 17 August 1975.

It had a more powerful engine – the TV3-117MT – which needed a built–in APU.

This was located transversely behind the new main gearbox, with an intake to starboard and an exhaust to port – completely altering the contours of the rear engine cowling.

The engine exhaust nozzles were changed to oval section and lost the small pipes.

A small teardrop-shaped bulge appeared behind the exhaust on the port side.

The engine intakes were cut back - in order to fit the dome-shaped particle separators and still allow the roof hatch to open.

Finally, the tail rotor was moved from starboard to port, switching from a tractor to a pusher – increasing the tail rotor authority dramatically.

On both variants the tail rotor turns clockwise (when looking at the hub).

A-Differences_02.jpg

The new version was given the designation Mi-8MT – and again spawned a variety of sub-variants, MTV, MTI, MTPB, MTSh etc etc.

Export variants were allocated a new number – Mi-17 – with their own sub-variants.

There are lots of other visual differences - but they can be applied to either first or second generation Hips.

Things like later style external winches, bigger Doppler boxes under the tailboom, extra fuel tanks, a 'spider' above the main rotor with yellow-painted vibration dampers (seen on both versions above) - etc etc

External armour plating around the cockpit plus internal Kevlar armour and scabbed-on armour around the engines is usually seen only on later Hips.

There are now 'third generation' Hips - with rear ramps and solid noses, but they are outside this thread.

Ken

Well, they might be an improvement over the WK-stuff but they're anything but transparent... The kit as a whole makes you feel very grateful to its manufacturer: very rewarding efforts with sandpaper and filler, you get all the room you need to add detail and improve shapes and dimensions, and then there's the opportunity to go out and buy some decent decals.

The Karo As Fw 187 (one of the first limited run kits I built) had the same opaque injection canopy and two (I think - well, I did get it in 1989!) vacform canopies. Thoroughly enjoyed that kit and although I've two more in the stash, never got round to finishing another.

Done bit of searching on Bilek and they also do an Mi-17 as well as Mi-8..both in 1/72

Did not mean to upset the cart, but this forum has a great source of information on kits and types, especially the former Warsaw Pact.

The search facility is not precise enough, so I tend not to use it.

but hey this Mi-8 - Mi-17 comparison is brilliantly done

Done bit of searching on Bilek and they also do an Mi-17 as well as Mi-8..both in 1/72

Did not mean to upset the cart, but this forum has a great source of information on kits and types, especially the former Warsaw Pact.

The search facility is not precise enough, so I tend not to use it.

but hey this Mi-8 - Mi-17 comparison is brilliantly done

Apparently (I don't have the Bilek kit) - it's a rebox of the Zvezda kit(s).

Note that a Mi-8MT and a Mi-17 are one and the same thing - the Mi-17 is the export designation of the Mi-8MT.

The Bilek kits are both the same - like the Hobby Boss kits - despite what it says on the box top.

The only accurate Mi-8MT is the Hobby Boss kit - ALL others mentioned here have the same canopy errors.

Ken