What kits are there of Mil Mi helicopters in 1/72

wkennerley

Having recently acquired three kits of Mil Mi helicopters,I thought I wouldlook at what Mil Mis were available in 1/72 -I have found the following, can anyone add any others or say what the various kits are like? Those underlined are kits I have to date, started the KP Mi-8 yesterday

Cheers

Wayne

Mil Mi 1 Gran; MPM; WK Model

Mil Mi 2 PZL; Hobbyboss *; Aeroteam; Mastercraft; Okit/Intech; Sky High

Mil Mi 3 A-model

Mil Mi 4 KP models; Hobbyboss *;Parc Models; ZTS;

Mil Mi 6 A-model;Nu-Bee

Mil Mi 8 KP Models WIP; Italeri; Zvezda; Revell; Hobbyboss *, Bilek?

Mil Mi 10 A-model; Sanger

Mil Mi 10k A-model

Mil Mi 12 A-model

Mil Mi V-12 A-model

Mil Mi 14 Luedemann; Topgun

Mil Mi 17 version of Mi 8

Mil Mi 18 version of Mi 8

Mil Mi 24 Hasegawa; Airfix; Hobbyboss; Italeri; Revell; Zvezda *

Mil Mi 26 Revell; Zvezda *; South Front

Mil Mi 28 Dragon; Revell; Italeri; Testors

Mil Mi 34

Mil Mi 35 Zvezda; Dragon

Edited by wkennerley
  • Like 1

The Mi-2 is actually pretty well served: Hobbyboss just put one out that looks very nice in the box, Aeroteam and Mastercraft also have them.

If you're interested in the Polish offshoot of the Mi-2, the PZL W-3 Sokol, AJ Models from Poland makes kits of it:

http://www.helikits.net/Kits.aspx?Idiom=1&Fm=63

The kits are pretty simplistic but look like they have the shapes right.

Your best choice for a Mi-8/17 is the Hobby Boss kit - it beats the inaccurate KP/Italeri/Zvezda/Revell kits hands down.

For an early Mi-8T you need the Pavla resin conversion set for the HB kit - note that both boxings are exactly the same - you can't make a Mi-8T 'Hip-C' straight out of the box...

Mi-8%20076.jpg

My Mi-8T, Mi-8MTV-1 and Mi-8MTV-5 conversions are here

For a Mi-18 - you need to do a major conversion on the HB Mi-8MT - it has a deep, stretched fuselage and retractable undercarriage......

Mi-18%20028.jpg

Mi-18%20031.jpg

How to do the conversion is here.

TOP GUN did a resin Mi-14 some years ago - no longer available ......

mi-14_015.jpg

My build of it is here

The best Mi-24 is the recent Zvezda release - it is the only one with the offset rear fuselage.

For a Mi-2 I would use the new Hobby Boss kit - same for a Mi-4 - they are both far superior to previous offerings.

Amodel do the Mi-6, Mi-10K and Mil V-12.......

V-12%20071.jpg

V-12%20082.jpg

Build of V-12 is here

For a Mi-26 - the Zvezda kit is best - I built the South Front kit of it before the Zvezda kit was released....

mi-26_050.jpg

Feel free to ask anything else.....

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
  • Like 2

.....KP Mi-8 (what are the inaccuracies of this kit?)

The whole front end .....

Mi-8%20099.jpg

Mi-8%20100.jpg

The Hobby Boss kit is on the left....

Note that the Zvezda, Italeri & Revell Mi-8's are all based on the KP kit.

The real thing.....

Mi-8%20101.jpg

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
  • Like 1

Great, thanks Ken, I think I may just build the KP for practise seeing as I have it already and lookout for a Hobby boss kit when I can afford one - I like the red / yellow scheme in your photo is this a fire service chopper?

Cheers

Wayne

Edited by wkennerley
  • Like 1

picked up a mil 2 last week from a new outfit(to me) called Okit. two boxings on the shelf one military and one post cold war. molding looks very crisp,dont think its a reboxing.12 options on the decal sheet, etch brass & resin parts included.price tag £12. chris

Edited by chris57

picked up a mil 2 last week from a new outfit(to me) called Okit. two boxings on the shelf one military and one post cold war. molding looks very crisp,dont think its a reboxing.12 options on the decal sheet, etch brass & resin parts included.price tag £12. chris

Cool where did you find that, might have to get one at that price

Wayne

I like the red / yellow scheme in your photo is this a fire service chopper?

No - it's a civvie one belonging to Kazakhstan-based 'Tulpar Air' - I photographed it at Samara, Russia in 2007.

day02_030.jpg

It's an early Mi-8T (note the starboard tail rotor) - but was in immaculate condition - it even has the very latest vibration dampers on the rotor head (the yellow 'lumps').

I like the pics from Yeovilton - that was a couple of years ago ???

Cheers

Ken

There was also a Mi-1 by WK Modell, who were/are a German kit manufacturer- or rather West German, as I think the kit dates from before reunification.

Short-run injection molded, in a rather strange dark greenish-blue plastic. Transparencies were rather thick, and a bit cloudy, and decals were typical of limited run of the time; ie fuzzy edges and not very good quality. I've got two unmade but they are fairly rare now, and last time I checked. I have seen them occasionally though from second hand vendors. King Kit's showing one as 'in stock'.

Anyway, here's a link to a build:

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/...t__t_19137.html

I notice you put Sky High up as another manufacturer for the Mi-2

If that same company's 1/72 T-34C Mentor kit is anything to go by, you might want to give that one a miss. Their Mentor kit was full of short shots and the styrene was quite brittle and crumbly around the edges of the parts. It also had some swirls of differently coloured styrene in the parts that indicated they don't clean their machines very well.

There was also a Mi-1 by WK Modell, who were/are a German kit manufacturer- or rather West German, as I think the kit dates from before reunification.

Short-run injection molded, in a rather strange dark greenish-blue plastic. Transparencies were rather thick, and a bit cloudy, and decals were typical of limited run of the time; ie fuzzy edges and not very good quality. I've got two unmade but they are fairly rare now, and last time I checked. I have seen them occasionally though from second hand vendors. King Kit's showing one as 'in stock'.

Anyway, here's a link to a build:

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/...t__t_19137.html

The toolings for WK Modell were done by MPM. Their style of moulding for the time and usually a chocolate (mmmn! Chocolate!) brown plastic typical of early MPM. I've their He 70 somewhere. MPM also did the tooling/moulding/production for Karo AS too.

The toolings for WK Modell were done by MPM. Their style of moulding for the time and usually a chocolate (mmmn! Chocolate!) brown plastic typical of early MPM. I've their He 70 somewhere. MPM also did the tooling/moulding/production for Karo AS too.

I thought that Mi-1 posted earlier in the thread looked familiar! The only difference is that the WK transparencies are injection molded, whereas MPM's are vacformed. By the looks of it, the MPM ones are a vast improvement over WK's which are chunky, quite opaque, and pretty awful. Obviously MPM took the same view!

Yes, they (WK) did do a He70 didn't they? Remember that now.

Hi Ken, thought I recognised your models from somewhere, just been through my pics from a FAA Museum show and there they were.

DSCF5155-1.jpg

DSCF5156.jpg

Wayne

Gott im Himmel! That Mil V-12 Homer (D'oh!) looks almost as big as the Blackjack! I've got to get that one someday, and follow Ken's nice online build of it (when I've got some bob and a few years to kill). What a monster. Good luck on building the Mil helicopters, Wayne, a worthy endeavour indeed.

Regards,

Learstang

I thought that Mi-1 posted earlier in the thread looked familiar! The only difference is that the WK transparencies are injection molded, whereas MPM's are vacformed. By the looks of it, the MPM ones are a vast improvement over WK's which are chunky, quite opaque, and pretty awful. Obviously MPM took the same view!

Well, they might be an improvement over the WK-stuff but they're anything but transparent... The kit as a whole makes you feel very grateful to its manufacturer: very rewarding efforts with sandpaper and filler, you get all the room you need to add detail and improve shapes and dimensions, and then there's the opportunity to go out and buy some decent decals.