Airfix new tool airliners

Kev1n

well...I wanted some views, thoughts and opinions so...

I may not agree with some of them but that doesnt make those views any less valid.

Marty - you said;

"The basic or latent interest has to exist in the first place and as builder and champion of 1/144 kits and airliners in particular - I know it does not."

Can you enlarge on this please?

"No it does not, 143 posts or so generated by less than a dozen posters on a small corner of the internet does create or prove a justified market."

I havent said that it does - all I have done is to throw a suggestion at this forum - amongst other avenues of looking into the idea - and ask for opinions.

Anyone got access to torture equipment and access to Rich Ellis!? :wicked:

Paul Harrison

Anyone got access to torture equipment and access to Rich Ellis!? :wicked:

Paul Harrison

You see, other than hot air, Ive been talking to the right people and companies, and I am working with them now to improve whats available now. I know the likes of Revell and Airfix will not (although I hope Im wrong) tool a new airliner.

What I know is working with smaller companies on smaller projects will yeald results.

Forget Revell, and Airfix. For new IM kits, look to Zvezda and Roden and by far the best thing is vote with your cash. If we buy the DC-7s, DC-6s, Superjets, Tu-134s then they will do more.

:

You see, other than hot air, Ive been talking to the right people and companies, and I am working with them now to improve whats available now. I know the likes of Revell and Airfix will not (although I hope Im wrong) tool a new airliner.

What I know is working with smaller companies on smaller projects will yeald results.

Forget Revell, and Airfix. For new IM kits, look to Zvezda and Roden and by far the best thing is vote with your cash. If we buy the DC-7s, DC-6s, Superjets, Tu-134s then they will do more.

Ah well!! There goes my VC-10 dream! :(

I'd certainly buy the above mentioned kits if they were in 1/72 but, as they are 1/144, I'm afraid I'm not interested.

Absolutely, a point I believe I made further up the thread.

To this end Roden have a 144 Carvair and Globemaster II slated as future releases. It will be these niche manufacturers along with the likes of Welsh Models - who have just expanded their 72 Comet range with a 4C and have an Electra due soon that will be the torch holders for this market. Simply because it more aligns to their business model, that's just a fact. Revell, Airfix and the the like may 'do' something once in a 'blue moon' (more than likely re-pop) but I wouldn't bank on seeing any form of significant investment into 'this' market from them.

For example; the airfix 747-100/200; most people know it's a bad kit and whilst I think it *could* be improved without a complete re-tool (ie with add-on parts), it's probably better if it was re-tooled completely.

so is it not possible that by either re-tooling completely, or adding some new sprues with replacement and additional parts, including interiors since the doors are open on the afx kit, and good quality decals, sales might be better than cuurent research and thinking suggests?

If it is such a sure fire winner, why don't you buy a couple of thousand shots off Airfix and add the parts yourself?

potential problem; the aircraft type is now very out of date.

I can think of quite a few kits of old aeroplanes that sell well, the ones from both WW's appear seem to sell well.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk