Volvo FH-16, Lowloader and Excavator

fatty

This is a build im doing for a group build, its a 1/24 scale Italeri Volvo FH-16 and the KFS tandem axle step frame low loader.

Added are a few extras like beacons, aluminium wheels, wooden deck, chequre plate etc.....

Z.jpg

Z1.jpg

Z2.jpg

Z3.jpg

Z4.jpg

Z5.jpg

Z6.jpg

Z7.jpg

Z8.jpg

For the load i have decided to scratch build a CASE CX210B tracked excavator, luckily we have this machine in our yard so i can use it for referance. I plan to build the model with full movement like the real thing....

enjoy:

cx.jpg

cx1.jpg

cx2-1.jpg

cx2.jpg

cx3.jpg

cx4.jpg

cx5.jpg

cx6.jpg

cx7.jpg

cx8.jpg

cx9.jpg

cx10.jpg

Good to see somthing a little away from the norm on this site....

And even better when the standard is as good as these, Excellent work, love the subtle weathering on the low loader

thank you for the complement :headphones::speak_cool:

the two booms are now lined up and work smoothly, just got the pivot strenthners to put in nd the metal hydraulic piping.....

cx18.jpg

cx19.jpg

Ive started the base/mounting for the booms, the base will look shorter than the picture as the counter weight will be added seperately on the rear.

You will also see the rams look long, this is because the boom will sit much lower once the running gear and tracks are built.

cx20.jpg

cx21.jpg

cx22.jpg

cx23.jpg

The detail was done with some course sand paper and a sharp scalple, once i had cut some sheads I inserted some fine wire into the rubber to replresent one of the plys delaminating.... then just added some weathing powders to add the grime.

Done a fair bit tonight, got some piping in and built up the sides ready for some filing and milit put to create the curves along the upper sides....

I also deliberately left a slight gap between the sides and the white base, as this creates the same kinda panel/joint line on the real machine.

cx25.jpg

cx26.jpg

cx27.jpg

cx28.jpg

cx29.jpg

cx30.jpg

cx31.jpg

cx32.jpg

cx33.jpg

Hmmmm miliput.....

fill, sand, fill, sand, fill, sand......

ok, so I have the shape now of the rear end, just a couple of diddy bits that need sorting. So i thinks a quick blast with primer to show them up better....

And work has started on the counter balance weight too, this will be weighted slightly to act the same as the real one...

cx34.jpg

cx35.jpg

cx36.jpg

cx37.jpg

cx38.jpg

construction went well on the counter balance, built up the rough shape and then melted some thin plastic sheeting to fill any gaps. once cooled down then I could add lots of miliput, i think it will need day to fully cure lol.....

I think while thats drying off I will have to start on the chassis, that im not looking forward too....

cx39.jpg

cx40.jpg

cx41.jpg

cx42.jpg

cx43.jpg

cx44.jpg

cx45.jpg

cx46.jpg

Well that's impressive :gobsmacked: Really impressive!

Question though, why a Case? don't you find John Deere easier to operate?

Over here in the UK the majority of excavators are JCB, CAT or Hitachi, we have just taken on the Case contract to sell them. I thought as I have one in the yard it would be better as i can see it up close, although everything so far has been from the brochure....

done a little more today.....

Once the miliput had hardened I could sand out the curved shape of the rear, dust every where.....

cx47.jpg

All sanded and ready for primer....

cx48.jpg

A couple of coats of primer, ;D

cx49.jpg

There are some small marks in the rear, but as its gonna be a used machine so it will have some scrapes and dinks....

cx50.jpg

All the bits i have built are now primered....

cx51.jpg

Ooohh starting to look like an excavator now.....

cx52.jpg

I really need to start work on that chassis and under carraige lol.

cx53.jpg

I managed to get a parts diagram today from the EPC so that will assist a great deal in the construction of that.

Ok so i have plucked up the courage and have started the chassis. Looking at the diagram I recon the best way is the start with the main parts: the two box sections that hold the drive and adjuster wheel.

So I managed to make the two sections, but I need to make a perfect round wheel..... what have i got kicking around that I can use to save me sanding down some plasticard?

perfect....

cx55.jpg

Now on the real machine the adjuster wheel does just that, its slides from front to rear to remove the slack in the tracks. Although this model is way smaller that the the real thing its going to have the same problem, so this will need to work too.

Here you can see the box section that holds the spindle.

cx56.jpg

once glued the wheel can be mounted to the spindle and then to the chassis.....

cx57.jpg

.....and voila! an adjustable wheel that slides in and out....

cx58.jpg

one down one to go..... ;D

Edited by fatty

The Tractor & trailor look just perfect, and the 360 is coming along the same way :worthy:

I'd really like to have a go at building a tractor unit with trailor as I drive HGV's for a living. Not yet found a model of a DAF CF 320 with sleeper though.

The Tractor & trailor look just perfect, and the 360 is coming along the same way :worthy:

I'd really like to have a go at building a tractor unit with trailor as I drive HGV's for a living. Not yet found a model of a DAF CF 320 with sleeper though.

Thank you for the complements.

Have a look at Kit Foirm Services web site, as they do a wide range of conversion kits.

Change of plan....

I found although the penny was perfect, it wasnt lol.... I had difficulty in adhearing it to the spindle, and to be honest it wasnt really strong enough. so i made one from Plasticard....

cx59.jpg

So i had a look at the plan again and change the build a bit...

created a twin box section.....

cx60.jpg

Alot stronger, and closer to the 1/2 scale version....

cx61.jpg

Have a look at Kit Foirm Services web site, as they do a wide range of conversion kits.

Cheers for the info, I've had a quick look and they do a DAF CF conversion kit useing the XF as a base vehicle. The top of the cab is still wrong even with the conversion kit :(

This is what I get to drive now and again... The two pics are off the Don Bur web site, the new teardrop trailers were designed to be used with the DAF CF units (57 reg unit pictured, ours are a mix of 54 & 52 plates).

Teardrop-Trailer-Comp-old.jpg

Teardrop-Trailer-Comp-new.jpg

Edited by Paul B