Orange Hobby

rob kernaghan

Just went on the site: It lasted 5 seconds then was rediercted to a Chinese language blocking site..... :angry: :angry:

They are having problems with the Chinese authorities cutting off their site. Try their blog site HERE

It would seem that the Chinese authorities have closed down all OH email addresses. I cannot even acess the personal address that I use to communicate with the owner. I cannot for the life of me understand what the problem the govn has with OH. That being said, when dealing with a dictatorial regime (which is what it is no matter how much window dressing it undertakes to suggest otherwise) that can interdict and stop what it deems to be unwelcome emails, anything could be the problem.

For those interested Hermes is now on Hobby Easy' site selling for the incredible price of approx £54.00. If you haven't looked at the two pics on Modelwarships please do.

There are times however when we modellers can be unreasonable. Hermes 82 has literally just been released and one guy on that site is already asking when the next one - Hermes 68 - is due. Give OH a break!

Obviously the kit will be more expensive in the UK, but £54 for the quality of kit is outstanding value. This might be one of those kits that encourages modellers who have never tried a ship before to have a go. Well done to OH, what a shame we can't tell them so!

Mike

OH seem to be back on line. Release date for Hermes at Hobby Easy was yesterday. I think the sentiments from Brit Forces about this model stimulating an interest in ship modelling could well be true. Other good subjects to come from OH.

I think there is something special about HMS Hermes. I can not put my finger on exactly what it is, but for modellers of my generation growing up in the 1980s she is certainly an iconic ship of that era. She was built for an earlier generation where ships like Ark Royal and Eagle had already captured the imagination and as such I think she just went about her business with minimal fuss. The Falklands conflict was HMS Hermes time to take center stage and watching her as a facinated 7 year old sailing majestically to war and returning to a heroes welcome is something I will never forget and something that generated a strong sense of pride for her and her crew. The following image is burnt deep into my subconcious:

01_hms_hermes1.jpg

This image combined with media coverage of the Sea Harrier fighting in the Falklands left a lasting mark on this particular 7 year old. She was the grand old lady brought out of retirement to fight a modern technological war, she was majestic.......and she got the job done !!!

And now, after years of waiting, we will soon have a great model of this older lady from the Grattan catalogue, who young boys used to fancy, but did`nt know why !!!!!!

John

Edited by John Day

Hi John,

just a small point but HMS Hermes wasn't brought out of retirement but was a fully operational front-line Aircraft/Commando Carrier. The government had announced earlier that she, and other ships, would be retired later in that year (and that news was possibly the trigger for Argentina to invade) but that hadn't happened.

HMS' Bulwark (another Commando Carrier), Tiger and Blake had been decommissioned/retired earlier and investigations were undertaken to see if they could be brought out of retirement; however their condition and the fact that the war was won so quickly precluded any further work on them.

Mike

Thanks for the info Bootneck, I was always under the impression that she was moored up prior to the Falklands war in much the same way that Ark Royal is moored up today.

Just out of interest, I remember a carrier anchored in scrap row not far from Whale Island around this time, could this have been Bulwark ?

John

Hi John,

I was on HMS Intrepid in Portsmouth at the beginning of the year and was just transferring to 42 Commando RM. HMS Bulwark was alongside at the time and I think it was HMS Blake that was out at anchor.

HMS Tiger was alongside us at Fountain Lake Jetty.

It could be that Bulwark was moved out to the anchorage after I left Portsmouth.

Mike

HMS Tiger decommissioned in dockyard - HMS Fearless is 3rd ship back.

HMSTigermainturret.jpg

HMS Bulwark decommissioned in dockyard

Bulwarkin1981.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Bootneck, I was always under the impression that she was moored up prior to the Falklands war in much the same way that Ark Royal is moored up today.

Just out of interest, I remember a carrier anchored in scrap row not far from Whale Island around this time, could this have been Bulwark ?

John

I think you'll find that was the Rusty B, HMS Bulwark. There was a moment when she too was going to be put back into service, but she was too far gone.

Some nice photos there Bootneck. It is interesting to hear how old ships were considered for re-commissioning at that time, perhaps the same thing may happen again it the cuts keep happening.

You might be right Dave about Bulwark but I have to confess that it was many years ago and that my memories have probably blured over the years. I was living in Gosport between 1975 and 1987, so it could be me getting my years mixed up.

Anyway, Hermes is a lovely ship and would make a fitting museum ship if we could get her back after the Indian Navy decommission her. If the US Navy can do it with USS Intrepid, then surely we can do it with Hermes !!

Well if we could find a fraction of the estimated £12 bn it took to stage the olympics in the UK then maybe a little of that cost could be found to create a fitting memorial. Then again if Plymouth couldn't be kept, I think chances are slim indeed.

Mike

I received my Hermes today from Deng. Hobby Easy have received there's and are despatching. Gentleman, it has been worth the wait. It is superb although one will have to be patieent and careful with etch - there is a lot of it. Deck markings and others are as decals ( which personally I prefer). What is useful is that the whole s/structure is not cast integral with the deck- make's for easier masking and painting. The Sea Harriers and Sea Kings are a delight. The former are being released seperately as three to a pack so you can increase the air wing at disgression. Although I help Deng with these products I still marvel at what he is able to achieve and at such a reasonable price. It is great to have such a fine model of a Brit carrier that rivals if not betters anything else on the market - possibly save for a certain company's forthcoming USS INtrepid!