Italeri 1/72 Ju-87B2

This is a kit that seems to only be available in New Zealand at the moment (probably in Italy too of course).

1-6805_l-1.jpg

The instructions are all in Italian, and the kit gives one decal option for 209 Squadron, Sicily 1941.

I got it because of the bargain price, and it's a nice little kit. The main drawback I found was the lack of sidewall detail, I popped some bits & bobs in from plastic card, but despite all that glass you can't see much. I aslo added the barrels of the wing MGs, as this detail was missing. Also the red was out of register on the decals, which isn't so noticable to the naked eye, but shows up in the pictures.

DSCF1747.jpg

I followed the paint guide on the box, which I'm a bit dubious about as it shows the painted out German markings on a dark green scheme. As I understand it now, the painted out German markings would have appeared on a splinter scheme, only the completely repainted Stukas would be one shade of green, and thus they wouldn't have painted over markings. Oh well, it was supposed to be a bit of fun, no point agonising over it... Ditto with the spinner, I tried 3 times to paint the red tip, stripped it 3 times and went with a plain spinner. The tail markings, fuselage & nose bands are masks, I thought I'd try that method for the first time. I think it did the trick, but of course it's easy when the markings are plain white crosses.

DSCF1750.jpg

DSCF1755.jpg

Two things annoyed me about my build - I managed to get overspray into the canopy at the front, and a huge blob of glue in the rear canopy where the MG is. I don't even remember putting any glue there, so it's doubly annoying :angry:

DSCF1752.jpg

I've also got a P-51 from this range of models, also in post war Italian markings, I may try that next

Thanks for looking

Chris

Lokks good to me, slight errors are always easier to see to the maker rather than the observer.

Its nice to see an Italian operated Stuka, they were heavily used against the Commonwealth in the Med and rarely modelled.

slight errors are always easier to see to the maker rather than the observer.

You know where the 'errors' are, I just think it looks like a great model.

Cheers chaps. It's the smallest kit I've built so far, my He-111 was 1/72 but it was obviously a bit larger. I was worried, coming back to the hobby, that braille scale might be a bit too fiddly for me - but actually it wasn't too bad. I've bought a few 1/48 kits that I've yet to build, and given that 1/72 kits are cheaper (generally) and take up less room when built, I may have to rethink my plans of sticking to 1/48 :hmmm:

Very nice.....what is it about New Zealanders and Stukas????

Maybe something to do with the fact that a lot of our fathers & grandfathers got bombed by the damn things. My Dad was an army doctor in the desert & said the first thing they looked for when they saw a plane was "did it have its wheels down or not" He worked mainly in advanced dressing stations & was Stuka'd on several occasions. I've often wondered when I see Stuka kits finished in Noth Africa schemes if maybe that one had had a go at him.

Steve.

Nice change up on the markings. Gotta hand it to Italeri. Good work