oNE'S DoNE! - Airfix Club Kits....1/72nd....

If you've read this already scroll on down :).....more to read and please feel free to add your thoughtsd and observations, I'd appreciate it and the urgent question is way way down at the bottom of the topic....

Thought it was time to get these underway -

they are very different from the earlier airfix GR3's so I fihgured they deserve a separate topic (hope thats ok)

cockpit seats n tubs are first...what else...

the RAF one is a bit plain but isnt too much of a problem putting together....the seat *just* fits into the tub but it is a tight fit tho'

the navy one.....mmmm.....bit tricky.....anyway -

this is the RAF one...

the front intsrument panel is a bit fiddly to get in coz the locating pin doesnt fit very well but with a bit of work will go in

RAFHarrier_afxClub_seats0.jpg

RAFHarrier_afxClub_seats2.jpg

the navy version -

first the parts are well attached to the sprue so a *lot* of care is needed to remove them...

RnHarrier_afxClub_seats0_sprue0.jpg

RnHarrier_afxClub_seats1_sprue1.jpg

(and even more care with smaller parts....)

RnHarrier_afxClub_seats2.jpg

so having got these parts sorted and the remains of the sprue taken off, the instructions say attach the two frame parts to the seat.....

RnHarrier_afxClub_seats3.jpg

trouble is, that lug is supposed to fit around the cutouts in the seat frames...and it doesnt....

I cant help feeling airfix have tried to be too clever here and this is a case of parts for the sake of having parts, rather than any practical thinking of what it's like to actually try and put something together...

my solution was to remove the lug completely and sand the back of the seat smooth, then put the frame together, then put the seat in.

RnHarrier_afxClub_seats5.jpg

needless to say, the lug in the tub is too big to fit into the locating hole in the bottom of the seat frame.....

so I made the hole bigger

:)

RAFRNHarrier_afxClub_bothseats1.jpg

I would love to know how others found this and if you had the same probs, what you did about it.

Also, thoughts on how many parts there are to these kits -

I'm ok with them, but since the kits are from the airfix club, there will be younger modellers who join and will probably find these a bit hard to put together....not good for keeping young kids into making models.....

so - thoughts and observations ?????

Edited by kev1n

• 4 weeks later...

cockpit areas almost done, other inside bits are painted and I'm now almost ready to actually start putting these together......

'bout time....been distracted by things lately so I'm a bit behind....

RAFHarrier_afxClub_cockpits2.jpg

RAFHarrier_afxClub_cockpits1.jpg

hopefully I'll be able to concentrate on these for the next couple of weeks....hopefully.

There's bound to be something to distract me....

• 2 weeks later...

a start made on the RAF GR7......and the first interesting question...

anybody who has built these, how did you overcome the join lines on the jet nozzles?

I can't say I'm impressed with this way of designing a model, it does make thigs harder than they need to be imho....

RAFHarrierGR7_10.jpg

bits n pieces going in....

RAFHarrierGR7_16_cockpit3.jpg

RAFHarrierGR7_12.jpg

next step to duplicate the same progress on the RN version....pics up later :)

really???....wow....thats a bit extreme, but it's interesting you felt that strongly about it...

have to admit I have some reservations about the design of these kits, depending on who they were aimed at...

Jet nozzles, the recommended method is to remove the locating tabs and sand the opposing faces on sandpaper taped to a flat surface until they are completely flat, then join with liquid cement. Once set a bit of Tamiya thin on the joins can help to remove any visible seams.

really???....wow....thats a bit extreme, but it's interesting you felt that strongly about it...

have to admit I have some reservations about the design of these kits, depending on who they were aimed at...

Wasn't just the kit was having air brush problems and a severe lack of mojo!

I guess I'd put the kit to one side and go back to it some other time....binning is very final, but I kinow what you mean - there are times when I get very frustrated with something so I go back to it some other time

Ok, thats one sound idea for the nozzle question; I did think maybe removing the vanes inside and replacing them....

anybody else?

here's the RN nozzles, still on the sprue while I think about them some more....

RNHarrierFS2_10_jetnozzles1.jpg

RNHarrierFS2_11_jetnozzles2.jpg

and the RAF GR7's.....

RAFHarrierGR7-jetnozzles0.jpg

and some progress :) .......

I put a strip of plastic card over the main gear/airbrake bays...this kind of design is known for coming loose after putting the fuse halves together and if that happens, obviously I would have a problem...

so hopefully, the strip will give it a bit more strength....anybody else thought about this and if so, what did you do?

RAFHarrierGR7-fusehalves1.jpg

fuse halves together, wings on and ready for some filler....according to the instructions, the tail wings should be attached to a small bush which then goes in between the two fuse halves, thus enabling the wings to move up and down.

Trouble is, the bush is too big to fit....typical airfix.....and very bad design.....so I left it out and I'll fix the wings in one position.

RAFHarrierGR7-basic1_ready4filler.jpg

I'd be interested to know what others have thought about these kits, I get the impression that, if you can jump through all the hoops set by the design, which IMHO is not very good, these kits will make up into very nice models.

I dont know if they are accurate or not, I'm not knowledgeable enough about Harriers, I just like making models of things, but my impression so far is that these would not be suitable for younger and more inexperienced modellers.

Have to ask then, why they are club kits - the airfix club must surely attract younger modellers, who will probably find these a bit intimidatiing....I sure do :) but at least I have a bit of know-how to help me with them.

And BM.......

any thoughts ????

ok...more progress....hopefully this one will be done by Sunday....if there are no more problems....I've spent more time filling and sanding and making things fit with this than almost any other model I've made recently....the RN version probably wont be done tho' so I guess I'll just amble through that one in my own time...

Intakes....not a good fit....

RAFHarrierGR7-intakes1.jpg

and a close exam of the way the instrument panel 'fits' againts the forward bulkhead isnt too impressive either...

RAFHarrierGR7-cockpit-nose-fwdwing1.jpg

The intakes have a big gap between them and the fuselage - looking at pics, this gap just isnt there so I filled them, needed to insert a small piece of card in one gap....very bad design imho....

RAFHarrierGR7-intakes3.jpg

and for a bit of light relief....

RAFHarrierGR7-tailcone1.jpg

its actually the tail cone; that doesnt fit well either but at least something can be done with it....

RAFHarrierGR7-tailcone2.jpg

hmmm.....I feel a bout of random irreverence coming on...

maybe later....

at least it is looking like a harrier now :)

RAFHarrierGR7-fuse1.jpg

I'd still like a response to some of my comments and questions about this kit so if anybody is reading this thread, any help forthcoming?

thanks!

Looks like you're making good progress!

I got this double boxing from evilbay, before I knew the new harrier kit was on it's way! The GR7 is not a nice kit, I bashed the main bits together to use as my airbrush test piece! I'm saving the decals to put on one of many GR7/9 I intend to buy! I'm sure some other bits will be useful too.

The FA2 is a bit better, trenches aside, but apparently the nose cone is not 'the best shape, and as you've noticed the pit needs some sprucing up! I did make the FA2 but I screwed up putting a resin pit in and scrapped it!

I have another one in the stash so I'll build that using the decals from this boxing. I guess the best bit of the club kit is the decals...

Phil

Looks like you're making good progress!

I guess the best bit of the club kit is the decals...

Phil

That was the main reason I joined actually, altho' having done so, I dont regret it, but yeah (time to fess up) the markings did make me sit up and look

Like I said earlier I get the impression the kit suffers from some poor thought processes with the design, but altho' it's been interesting, it's also been hard to do....

but it could become a nice model in spite of the problems

again tho' I want to do as good as I can, and hopefully by Sunday :)

cheers for the reply

btw - how old are these kits?

anybody ????

The GR7 kit is from the early 90's, it was intially released as a GR5 just after the real ones had entered service with the RAF. It is not Airfix's best kit, but nor is it their worst either, and with some effort to overcome it's shortcomings a reasonable model can be built. I built a couple when they first came out and I was in the ATC at the time. We did our Air Experience flying in Chipmunks, so that gives you some idea of just how old that kit is!

Mark.

Snap, to the air experience flying in the chipmunks, and probably making the kit!

I fondly remember being 14 years old in the back of a chipmunk, all I could see and hear was the IP shaking about in front of me!

The pilot was an ex Buccaneer pilot and he landed it like he was landing on an aircraft carrier deck!!

Phil

Snap, to the air experience flying in the chipmunks, and probably making the kit!

I fondly remember being 14 years old in the back of a chipmunk, all I could see and hear was the IP shaking about in front of me!

The pilot was an ex Buccaneer pilot and he landed it like he was landing on an aircraft carrier deck!!

Phil

We won't hijack kev1in's thread, but you'll remember the flight safety video and these sage words of advice should it all go pear shaped!

"Jump, jump,jump Johnny"

"Jump, jump, jump Sir"

At which point we should be vacating the Chipmunk as it plummets earthwards. Thankfully never had to hear or utter those words!

Apologies kev1n for reminiscing about Chipmunks on your Harrier thread!

Mark.

I'm sure he doesn't mind a cheeky hijack!

Yeah I remember those videos, he would calmly get out of the plane, wander down the wing and hop off the trailing edge, just like that! Easy while staged on the ground, not so easy while plumiting to earth!

Phil

no I dont mind :)

I have another question re the GR7 tho'....having settled it's ancient lineage....I didnt know it was that old!!!

anyway -

the colours.....according to the kit's instructions, the upper surface is dark sea grey....this looks very dark to me, especially for an aircraft serving in the desert in 2003

Can anybody confirm this is right?

Urgent answer needed....

I'm doing a pic search now but could spend the rest of the week doing that....my plan is to paint it tonight, finsh putting it together tomorrow (all the bits are ready)

then decal it and finsih it off Saturday....in time - just - for the GB deadline.

I just need to sort out the colour....

here it is now; I painted the left wing tip, 1 rear flap and the tail wing thingys DSG....defo looks too dark to me, but I dont know much about these things, I just like making models....

RAFHarrierGR7-primed0.jpg

RAFHarrierGR7-primed1.jpg

tia

ok....colours sorted....hopefully :)

this is it last night - Thursday....

the inevitable problem with the main gear being much longer than the outriggers....or is it the outriggers being too short....either way, it didnt really surprise me, but I sorted it :)

RAFHarrierGR7-basic2A_gearproblem1.jpg

so then it looked like this -

RAFHarrierGR7-basic4_readyfordecals2.jpg

The master plan is to decal it and add all the other lilttle details tonight - Friday - and finish it off tomorrow, Saturday.

Except....

there is one small problem to get over...

The cockpit canopy is too big.

ummm.....

I'll figure something out

Edited by kev1n

Looking good there! Glad to see you've overcome the undercarriage issue, it's been the bane of Harrier kits for all time. I'm just hoping that Airfix have finally overcome it with the new mould kit, guess I'll find out very soon!

Mark.

second that.....

anyway....here it is :)

most of the stencils are now on :wacko: .....not all, just most.....

I'm going to call it done.....has one major problem - the cockpit canopy is grossly too big and I havent figuired out how to fix it yet...

so I will think about it today and if I come up with something that works, I'll post it....

Otherwise....el finito :)

and this has been hard work......

more pics in the gallery and in ready for inspection

RAFHarrierGR7-basiccomplete1.jpg

Re the canopy, my impression from an older boxing of this kit is that if you push the canopy sides in so it's the same width as the fuselage, the section should match that of the windscreen and you get the undercut which is often a feature of blown canopies. You might be able to do so without getting stress-lines forming.

Joseph

I was thinking maybe I could heat it gently and bend it....

depends if it will then still slide back so the pilot can get in :)

Edited by kev1n