Airfix 1/24 Mosquito - Banff Coastal Command

Rick_1138

Hi folks,

Thought it was time for an actual modelling based thread from me hehe.

I started the big Mozzie last night, but as got distracted by Old man having IT issues! i only got a few things done.

This mainly consisted of clipping off the poarts for the pilots seat and using model putty to fill the MANY ejector pin marks!! I usually dont bother with these, but as the model is so big any innacuracy will show up glaringly and i want to do it properly.

Anyway, i have decided on doing the Banff coastal command squadron colour scheme, as its close to where i live and has a nice scheme for the large model.

Does anyone know where i can get some good reference material for the planes that were based in Banff, and on a more generic theme, if anyone has any advice on where i can get good reference photos for mosquito interiors and shots of wear and tear\weathering etc.

All help will be welcome :)

A fellow loon , in my case Fae torry

Well you might try "banff Strike Wing at War" ..by Les Taylor or "a Seperate Little War" ..Andrew D Bird, both are available in Waterstones on Union Bridge , both highly recommended

Or via amazon Here

...and then you put it in chat! :doh:

Don't worry - now moved :)

Well we were talking about chat becoming a bit all over the place, so felt i would do my small part to drag it back to modelling based topics....

That's my story and i am sticking to it! :D

Hi Colin, well my Mum is from Torry (though escaped to the country :D) I will have a look in waterstones, as that book was showing as used and minimum of £50 on Amazon!! but thought it may have been sold out in waterstones.

Shall nip in at lunchtime :) GF is away this weekend, so have man weekend to work on mozzie :)

Aye, aye min! You might not know it but there's a lot of loon's on here. :partytime:

Spookily I've also got the big Mosquito, although I am probably going to do the TseTse version with the big six-pounder gun.

Are you aware there is a model club in town. If not PM me and I'll give you the details.

Steve

p.s. If Waterstones don't have it (don't forget to try both) they will be able to order it for you.

Also, you may find this useful.

https://picasaweb.google.com/wouterroerdink...re2010Unedited#

Edited by jacksdad64

Got Paragon's resin 100 gallon Drop Tanks and wheel\tyre set.

They are a lot better than the kit parts and allow me to give a bit of extra detailing in for a modest sum.

Though reading the banff strike wing book, i find that the airfix colours offered for the banff mozzies, require black spinners instead of yellow. :)

Learn something new everyday. Cracking on with the cockpit atm, i shall sort out a build thread soon.

My first!

Fit like?

Where are you loons buying your models in town now? I know Modelzone has a shop but is there a real model shop left in Aberdeen?

Nae bad min. Short answer is no. All we have is ModelZone (which tries it's best) and Hobbycraft (which is pants). Nearest decent shop is Models Unlimited in Inverurie.

Steve

Fit like?

Where are you loons buying your models in town now? I know Modelzone has a shop but is there a real model shop left in Aberdeen?

Nae bad min. Short answer is no. All we have is ModelZone (which tries it's best) and Hobbycraft (which is pants). Nearest decent shop is Models Unlimited in Inverurie.

Steve

Aye aye loon. As Steve says the nearest 'proper' model shop is Models Unlimited (about 5 minutes walk fae my hoose therefore both a blessing and curse) but every so often I find an excuse to reach Elgin for a look in Junners. They usually have a good stock of Airfix backed up by a sellection of some more eclectic stuff.

Aye aye loon. As Steve says the nearest 'proper' model shop is Models Unlimited (about 5 minutes walk fae my hoose therefore both a blessing and curse) but every so often I find an excuse to reach Elgin for a look in Junners. They usually have a good stock of Airfix backed up by a sellection of some more eclectic stuff.

Fit like, en? I think we should rename this thread along the lines of "the flyin mannies fae Banff"! Yet another loon fae Aberdeen here. I might have to take a trip out to Inverurie to have a look at this proper model shop, it's probably just as easy for me to get to as Modelzone is.

And like Steve says, the model club is well worth joining up to, I've just started going along as well.

Mark.

Made lots of progress over the weekend, basically sat in kitchen and put star trek voyager DVDs on in a marathon session lol.

Taken lots of pics but will do build thread tonight.

Shop wise, hobbycraft is okay and modelzone is better but both seem to have slumped after initial openings and haven't got any new stock in bar the basics.

Models unlimited is the last good shop that has groaning shelves of all kinds of themes, I try to avoid it as it gets expensive and that 1/12 Tamiya Williams F1 car whispers to my wallet!!

I will come along to the club on September 6th, if I can find the place, is the community centre actually in the school site?

I will come along to the club on September 6th, if I can find the place, is the community centre actually in the school site?

It's almost in the same location. Just carry on up the hill past the shiney new academy turn left, then right and you're there. It is signposted as 'Community Centre'.

Mark.

Looking forward to seeing some photos of your build (hint, hint!).

Yes, yes, i have been busy as GF is going on holiday tomorrow\saturday morning and am foing my notice period at my work, (which is a chore as they dont really care but were arsey i do a month but i could walk out today legally!!)

Anyway.....i will set up a build thread tonight as i have pics on camera of build so far :)

Remind me lol

Fit like, en? I think we should rename this thread along the lines of "the flyin mannies fae Banff"! Yet another loon fae Aberdeen here. I might have to take a trip out to Inverurie to have a look at this proper model shop, it's probably just as easy for me to get to as Modelzone is.

And like Steve says, the model club is well worth joining up to, I've just started going along as well.

Mark.

It's a shame the model shop up past Rosemount (can't remember what street it was on) shut down a few years ago, it was a fine wee shop. I have been known to make the trip up to Inverurie to Models Unlimited even though its a hike from Brechin, but its that or the next nearest is down in Kirkcaldy.

GTI models is the one I think you mean , one of the only places that had stock of Trumpter models , owners retired to spain , so the rumours had it .. great little shop ,

Rick , I'm sure you'll have a great time at the AMs , they really are a good bunch , give my regrds to Dave, John and duncan , and watch for the reaction!

Rick , I'm sure you'll have a great time at the AMs , they really are a good bunch , give my regrds to Dave, John and duncan , and watch for the reaction!

Aye, probably Boo Hiss, He's behind you!

Steve

P.s. We still love you Colin :-)

Funnily enough there was talk of all the model shops that have been and gone in Aberdeen at the last AMS meeting. Just as well I've got a big stash...

Anyone remember the one at the bottom of Rosemount beside the viaduct, just across the road from Denburn Health Centre?

The only ones i remember were:

GTI Models (as mentioned) but it was more remote control stuff.

Beatties on Market street (was my favourite shop)!

Sherrifs, just off George street became a toymaster but then closed too.

Toymaster on schoolhill lasted about 5 minsutes it seemed!

Now its just Hobbycraft, ModelZone in Town, which dont seem to update their stock since the big openings.

and Models Unlimited in Inverurie is best place for a rake with best chance of choice etc.

Other than that its wonderland Models in bEdinburgh, but thats a fiar hoof just for some kits, but their website is excellent :)

We still love you Colin

Hopefully in a platonic , manly way !..

Actually I saw the 3 of them at Perth this year and had a nice chat .. it was fun ,scary thing is that they havn't changed a bit , (either for the better or for the worse!)

Hopefully in a platonic , manly way !..

Nothing wrong with a bit of man love. :kissing2:

By the way Col. I don't remember the one your talking about beside the health centre. The only place I can think of is Plan 9 which used to sell sci-fi stuff. not sure if it still does though as I've not been in for ages.

Steve

Forgot all about Plan 9 Steve, not been in there for a long time, used to have Halcyon kits as I got two of the 'Alien' figures from there many years ago.

Main thing I recall about the other shop was the owner had a mad sale one weekend, which I missed out on, because he had to do a runner from the tax man! Think he was open for a year or two at the most in the very late 80s.