He 111 1:32

Hi guys,

I've been away enjoying the summer too much to remember to finish my 1:32 phantom, but that didn't stop me going out and lining up the next item in the production line:

web.jpg

This one will definitely be a challenge, given my fingers of butter and fists of ham are great at screwing up glass...and short of using a hermitically sealed room and permanently pressurising the model itself, how do I keep the *inside* of the glass dust free????

As always, all ideas on markings and load outs welcome!

Edited by silverburn

Just take your time masking, or wait for some kind soul (probably Eduard) to release some masks. :)

Incidentally, your signature really had got out of hand, so I've trimmed it down to an acceptable level. If you miss any of the less relevant stuff, put it in your "about me" section in your profile :)

Incidentally, your signature really had got out of hand, so I've trimmed it down to an acceptable level. If you miss any of the less relevant stuff, put it in your "about me" section in your profile :)

lol - aye, probably was! Thankfully my pace is slowing down now, so future "signature creep" should be much slower.

PS - did I read that right? Over a million posts???? :worthy:

Edited by silverburn

PS - did I read that right? Over a million posts???? :worthy:

When you have the keys to the forum you can have as many or as few posts as you like :wicked:

BTW - Eduard have announced a mask set for the 111 already. I would guess they'll be in the shops in the next few weeks, so hold fire "bodging" as you so eloquently put it ;)

And we're off!

I can't finish the Phantom yet, due to logistical reasons (paint, and super-glue finished), but will get done this weekend.

Didn't stop me getting started on this, with plain ol' modelling glue!

This is the pit started and primed; some paint and dry brushing tomorrow I recon. The quality difference between the tamiya phantom and this is immediately noticeable; no way would the tamiya have constructed the pit like this - you have to hold parts together with Revell until stuck, and hope you've got the alignment right; Tamiya, you wouldn't need to worry!

Although having said that, where would the challenge be without some tricky fitting parts???

I got it mostly right, though you can still see the seam running along the side of bombers bench. and the join of the centre console. Also, the rudder pedals are skewed outwards; both parts do it to the same amount, so assuming it's designed that way. It would work ergonomically at least, so I think I'll leave it :)

web.jpg

Looking good mate, you REALLY like 1/32 don't you? :hmmm: Where do you keep them all?!

..on the cool wall! Old photo...there's a 1:32 Gulf-war Tonka and OOB 1:32 Harrier AV-8B to go on there...oh and my just-about-done 1:32 Phantom...

web.jpg

Ok, wee bit of progress tonight; I'm following the instructions mostly as Revell would have you do it. The kit seems well designed for painting; lots of panels can be single painted without masking. The instruments might be tricky though...

Fit and finish is good though, but I needed to cut off the front edge of the passenger seat to get the sidewall to fit correct (you can see the missing paint where I cut it).

Anyway, quick wee dry fit before the finishing bits are done, and I can do some detail painting, decalling & weathering (though I think I'll keep it pretty clean). Seat belts are pretty pathetic; I might have to craft my own, for the first time ever!

web.jpg

Edited by silverburn

Rattling on apace...

Main issue is I'm about to run out of Light Olive; and since I've had problems with colour matching in the past - even when ordering the same paint from the same manufacturer - I've decided to go off the instructions. The aim is to complete the main fuselage bits with what little paint remains! It may mean the gear bays are slightly different in colour, but you won't notice ;)

Tell you what though...there's a *ton* of Light Olive on this...good grief. :)

- Fuselage interior painted, and assembly started

- Both bomb bays are painted, though only one assembled for the pic

- Pit continues; it's basically assembled, and I give it a light brush with Tamiya pastels (metal in particular), to give it a slightly worn look (rather than totally chipped). It's worked ok, but the crappy iPhone won't pick it up. Got a few bits left to add, including the compass decal.

- bombs assembled and lightly sanded. I'm not needing perfection, given they'll be mostly concealed. But the kit bombs are actually pretty good, and not real effort required!

- Magazine racks painted

Tomorrow, I think I'll fit the bomb bays, and complete the interior Light olive painting; I plan to leave the top removable, so you can see inside, so good colour coverage required.

web.jpg

Edit: For those attempting this, don't make my mistake and paint the edges of the bulkheads; it a tight fit on the fuselage, and a single layer of paint will create gaps! I had a whole sanding exercise to do to make the fuselage dry-fit correctly!

Also - I shall be fitting the glass as late possible, to avoid the dust problems that have plagued my previous models...

Edited by silverburn

And we continue...

Tonight, I couldn't be bothered with fiddly stuff, like the finishes touches on the pit, so I built stuff!

- the two bomb carriers are now complete, ready for fitting. It's a tight fit btw - again, watch your paint here; I'm going to have to scrape some off to get it to fit right!

- The bombs themselves are done (out of shot here though)

-The wings are assembled, minus the light; I plan to do my own. Plus the kit version is a hideous fit! The wings themselves are super; nice tight fits. Except one of the flaps parts was warped badly, but an easy fix.

- Some more stuff in the fuselage

- The tailfins are done; though they're not massively free moving.

- The rudder is done; this has the opposite problem; it's too free moving!

Anyway, enjoy.

web.jpg

Looking good..! Shame we're not seeing many of these being built up. It's one of my favourite subjects so will be following this closely - might even get myself one day..!

I'll be doing one soon! Top work to the OP.

Cheers for the compliments guys!

Made a bit more progress tonight, and uncovered a kit error...

..specifically this bit:

It's meant to assist the join of the engine nacelle to the wing; except the recess the instructions say to slot it into in the upper wing part is missing!

web.jpg

Anyway, apart from that, the central wing part has gone together quite easily. Everything is a tight fit; if you spray parts before fitting, you will need to scrape the paint off for it to fit correctly. But that's a good thing! Just shows how Revells quality is improving. I dry fitted the main wings into this too, and the fit is excellent. I anticipate zero filler, it's that good!

I only needed a tiny bit of sanding along the leading edge of the wing here, but apart from that - it's going together very easily.

web.jpg

Recon I'll be back into the fuselage tomorrow night. I keep putting it off because I know it means I need to fit some glass! :o

Edited by silverburn

Looking good..! Shame we're not seeing many of these being built up. It's one of my favourite subjects so will be following this closely - might even get myself one day..!

Yes, it's a very distinctive plane, with an unique profile. Especially the asymmetrical front glass; wouldn't that have affected the aerodynamics? It would have been a good ground attack bomber, since the visibility from horizon to ground was excellent - almost like a helicopter!

I've been watching this with interest, as well and really enjoying it.

Keep up the good work.

I'll be doing a Blitz Bomber in the near future, just need to finish a couple of projects first. I also have a Zwilling planned for the end of the year.

Steve

I'll be doing a Blitz Bomber in the near future, just need to finish a couple of projects first. I also have a Zwilling planned for the end of the year.

Now that's a freaky plane - the Zwilling.

Could you imagine something like that coming out in these CAD-designed, fluid-dynamic, stress-modelled, safetly-first days?

Not back then...

Boss: "We need a big wing for towing duties, and we need it next week"

Engineer: "Lets slap two He111 together, and stick on an extra engine - job done"

Boss: "woohoo!"