New Airfix release !

Gundylunch

Whenever there is a well publicised accident or disaster there are jokes and humour - most of it usually tactless - but that doesn't make it less funny. When the first space shuttle blew up, there were jokes about it before the debris had hit the ground. The recent earthquakes in Japan and Christchurch - same deal.

Joking about misfortune seems to be human nature?

I fly every day of my working life, I have lost friends in accidents, I have seen an aircraft on fire in the air and even a Tornado on one engine, the other engine trailing heavy smoke, coming in from the North Sea.

I lost a friend many years ago in the Knight Air Bandit that went down in a storm shortly after take off from Leeds. I used to own a share in a glider, I sold the share to a friend, he died when the wing broke during a winch launch. I have never been in the military and yet have witnessed a number of incidents and lost friends, despite how safe aviation is these things will still happen. I do not have any sort of issue with this humour, I guess the losses go to a certain extent with the territory.

So what is the problem with a bit of black humour? It happens all the time, currently Amy Winehouse and not so long ago Eddie Stobart and Michael Jackson, those of you who object to this black humour can you objectively state that you have not found the black jokes about these people amusing?

Andrew

The killjoys of the world have got us running scared... I like black humour, and it's a very British thing - typified by the comment that Jonathan Mock had on his signature for a while. I'll paraphrase - "At the height of the blitz, when asked what irritated Londoners the most, many replied - the weather". That's a classic in any shape or form :)

I think the lack of sympathy and mickey taking of aviators is a coping mechanism, as flying is dangerous. Good for them, I say :)

Well I thought it was funny. Not half as funny as the prat who thought it was real and complained to Airfix

Seriously? :mental:

Well you said you like black humour Mike.

We all have a line that crosses over from humour to poor taste.

Some poeple have less tolerance but don't deserve to be ridiculed or looked down upon for it.

My tolerances are more in line with your own, but that doesn't give me the right to be dismissive of others.

Well you said you like black humour Mike.

We all have a line that crosses over from humour to poor taste.

Some poeple have less tolerance but don't deserve to be ridiculed or looked down upon for it.

My tolerances are more in line with your own, but that doesn't give me the right to be dismissive of others.

...and there's the punchline. Trolling again. :fraidnot:

The killjoys of the world have got us running scared... I like black humour, and it's a very British thing

I have made a perfectly reasonable observation

iirc there Have been comments by members of this forum who have expressed disapproval of the faux boxart.

You are calling them killjoys.

I don't agree with their opinion in this matter but surely they have the right to their opinion.

At what point does one draw the line between black humour and bad taste?

I was asking a legitimate question.

How is that trolling?

It's standard fare for you Paul, and as well as increasing in frequency, I'm tired of it. I'm not entering into an argument over it like you want, so you can sit on the sidelines for a couple of weeks. :shrug:

Crikey, reading through this, I can only hope no-one has had their Human Rights infringed! If anyone on here has not been fortunate enough to have served in a uniformed force, the concept of black humour may not be a natural one to grasp as it's pretty much the norm in the colours I served.

The aftermath of incidents, shootings and crashes tend to have some seriously sick humour at times, but in my experience, doesn't mean that the perpetrator hasn't grasped the seriousness or gravity of the original incident. If loss of life or serious injury had taken place, I would be most surprised if someone such as Gundylunch (I don't know him, by the way) would have posted the artwork, or made a joke of it. I form that opinion based on his previous post history alone.

Anyway I liked it, and if I didn't, would stop looking at the thread and wind my neck in. If I wanted to criticise, I could only comment that the paint colours on the boxing seem totally wrong for the aircraft - what were you thinking?

:rolleyes:

Many, many years ago (50+) I read an article in SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN about the creative use of black humor as a reliever of stress when persons are confronted by situations that far exceed their normal tolerances for understanding and assimilation. Even though much time has passed since the concept of black humor was first presented to me by this article, I remember its conclusions to this day and have cited them many times during the intervening years particularly with regard to my years of delivering emergency medical services.