Airfix 1/72 Harrier GR9A

Good Evening All,

This is so close to finishing it's painful! Managed to get the ejector seat installed in the tub, a few wee bits on the airframe and got nearly all the detail painting done. Got the drop tanks decalled too, just waiting to get them finished off.

P9090081.jpg

P9090082.jpg

A couple of pics of the Martin Baker Mk12 seat before being dropped into the tub. If I'm honest, I'd make the straps a little thinner as I think they look a little overscale now they've been painted up.

P9090083.jpg

An overall view of the airframe, it's properly looking like a Harrier!

P9090089.jpg

P9090092.jpg

The jet nozzles and heat shields are now in place as I need them there when I do the exhaust staining this evening.

Kev1n/Phil,

The step extends when the canopy is slid back and extends out of the bottom edge of the stbd intake, see the image in the link below

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Br...ce4a999321ebb18

It extends until it is just about level with the taxi light on the nose wheel. It is another one of those little details that is really obvious when you study the airframe in detail, but it still annoys me that kit makers somehow miss it!

See you all in the finished builds gallery tomorrow!

Mark.

Edited by Harry Lime

That pics great, you going to make the steps on the side too?

With a little over 24 hrs to go? You're having a giraffe ain't you!!!! In all seriousness, the idea has crossed my mind and I might just do it on a future build.

Come on you've added all the other details.....how am I going to copy if you don't!!

I saw your post about the undercarriage in Kev1n build, yes they've sorted it so it sits on all 4 wheels! Just make sure the main gear is all the way in (you might want to clear up the locating hole in the bay as it's a snug fit). Mine are a bit off as I fitted them on my cutting mat which isn't flat!!

Phil

Come on you've added all the other details.....how am I going to copy if you don't!!

I saw your post about the undercarriage in Kev1n build, yes they've sorted it so it sits on all 4 wheels! Just make sure the main gear is all the way in (you might want to clear up the locating hole in the bay as it's a snug fit). Mine are a bit off as I fitted them on my cutting mat which isn't flat!!

Phil

That is good to hear! As I knew most Harriers had problems with the main undercarriage, I'd had a wee look at the fit already and to say it is snug would be understating it. I thought I was never going to get the gear back out again and had these nightmare visions of trying to mask around the protruding leg.

Mark.

Well I've pushed this one right to the wire, but in order to be eligible for the group build poll I'm calling this one done. If truth be told, there's still a couple of tweaks to satisfy my anal retentiveness, but I've really enjoyed this kit from the moment I opened my parcel from Hannants!

So, a quick pic here and the others will appear in the completed builds gallery.

P9100134.jpg

Mark.

Great finish Mark! I know what you mean about pushing it to the wire!!! I have to agree as well - an enjoyable build using an excellent kit!!

Thanks Bill, much appreciated! I'll be doing a few more of these, especially since I bought the outstandingly good Harrier retirement sheet from The Aviation Workshop. If anyone hasn't already got this sheet, I can't recommend it highly enough.

Morning All,

Spent this morning finishing off a few little snags and once they've cured/dried/etc and I get better lighting this afternoon, I'll take some more pics and get them up in the RFI section. Unfortunately the Mavericks aren't done as I've had a few problems with the replacement fins, but they will be finished in a few days and will be added in due course. Just a little disappointed they're not hanging from the wings already.

Mark.