Army Chipmunk

Catbird

Ive found a picture of an Army Chipmunk WP964 in the green and brown camo. Only the side view. Does anyone have the pattern for the camo scheme, or any info on this Chippy.

Can't help re; the camo pattern, but I remeber seeing this aircraft down at Middle Wallop years ago.

It was painted "Officially" by the AAC for Advanced Fixed Wing Training.

The "Spitmunk" they used to call it. :D

An old Airfix Magazine article featured all the views necessary for this scheme. If you don't mind waiting a short while I'll have a look for it and get a scan for you.

• 9 months later...

Hi Paul:

I have seen your post today looking for info about this Chipmunk Cammo, I was wondering if you have found the Airfix Magazine you said and if youcould share with me too the content.

Cheers from Guatemala,

Luis Alfonso

Luis and Andy (Tigercat),

I've had a look in my Chipmunk files and I can only find side views for two camouflage schemes for Army Chipmunks in Airfix Mag. I can send you copies if you let me have your email address by PM.

And for those who can;t justify the expense of the admittedly magnificent S&M sheet, there is a much, much cheaper sheet from OH Models that has one of the camouflaged Army aircraft on it, with good all-over colour instructions that show the camo patterns well. Only £3, and well worth it, but you have to find your roundels elsewhere (i.e. from the kit and/or from your generic Xtradecal D type roundel sheets)

Hannants are listing it as "coming soon" but they were on sale at the Little Cars stand at the Hinckley show, which is where I got mine.

de-havilland-chipmunks-designed-to-be-used-with-the-airfix-kits-but-should-fit-any-other-1-72--decalques-oh-models-72006.jpg

Edited by Work In Progress

Luis and Andy (Tigercat),

I've had a look in my Chipmunk files and I can only find side views for two camouflage schemes for Army Chipmunks in Airfix Mag. I can send you copies if you let me have your email address by PM.

Hi Ivor:

thank you very much, Rigth now I am sending my mail. Thank you verymuch in advance for your kindness and help.

Cheers,

Hi WIP:

Thank you very much for the advise, just also, I was looking the Red One, and was wondering if you can tell me why and what color could I use to make one this way, also looks out of this world!!!

Cheers,

This should help as the Chippy you want to do is one of the subjects and has an upper view!

Adrian

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SSM72005

Hi Adrian:

Thanks for the advise, and BTW this one here in S+M set has the ARMY word for fuselage in white, so I think there were more than one version for the same plane. I got a pic of one on duty in Gatow-Berlin and one used by the army for observers training. Really, this one and the OH models set, both would be a nice investment for Chipmunk Fans.

Cheers,

Hi WIP:

Thank you very much for the advise, just also, I was looking the Red One, and was wondering if you can tell me why and what color could I use to make one this way, also looks out of this world!!!

Cheers,

Luis

The aeroplane is now civilian-registered as G-BCGC and still flying in this special colour scheme which was applied for Prince Charles to learn to fly in it. Its current website is here:

http://www.captainnevillesflyingcircus.org.uk/page15.htm

It is a bright orangey red, and finished in a very high gloss. Some people have referred to it as a dayglo red but I don't consider it to be fluorescent, which for me is the test of a dayglo paint. If I were modelling it I would probably look for a car paint aerosol that matches the pictures here:

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.sear...keywords=g-bcgc

Note that you will need to add a small scratch-built beacon above the windscreen arch:

Chipmunk-1.jpg

Edited by Work In Progress

Hi WIP:

Thank you very much for the guidance, explanation and help, this one really deserves a good job, and looks like a show stopper and a short term project even tough doing some detailing on her.

Cheers and have a nice week,

• 1 month later...

Bumping this one to ask if anyone knows what has happened to the OH models decals for the Chipmunk. They seemed to go from "coming soon" on Hannants site to product not found. :( I'd ask at little cars but they have a £10 minimum which is a bit unrealistic for these, especially as its only the Royal Navy ones I want. Anyone know where else these are available or have some of the RN markings going spare. I could fix up for them on paypal.

Steve.

There was another much earlier camouflaged Chipmunk used during an exercise in Germany during the 1950`s which was attached to BAOR HQ but I`ve only ever heard or read reference to it and never seen a photo. If anybody does have a photo of this aircraft I would really love to hear from you,

Cheers

Tony O