Seafire III

Always wanted a model of a Seafire III in 1/48, have got the Airfix Seafire III/Spitfire Vc kit ,but was never entirely happy with the mix of parts and really wanted a folded wing option. So with the release of the new Seafire XVII kit and inspired by Chadders recent post I've decided to have a go my own way. I have used a the fuselage from a Mk I/Va kit with an Aires cockpit set, the folded option from the MkXVII and some spares from my bits box.

Progress so far:

seafireIII003.jpg

seafireIII002.jpg

Always wanted a model of a Seafire III in 1/48, have got the Airfix Seafire III/Spitfire Vc kit ,but was never entirely happy with the mix of parts and really wanted a folded wing option. So with the release of the new Seafire XVII kit and inspired by Chadders recent post I've decided to have a go my own way. I have used a the fuselage from a Mk I/Va kit with an Aires cockpit set, the folded option from the MkXVII and some spares from my bits box.

Progress so far:

seafireIII003.jpg

seafireIII002.jpg

Interesting stuff. What prop and spinner are you using? Aeroclub do a really nice injection moulded one if it's still available.

NB this swap would be a bit tricksier with the old Airfix Seafire III/Spitfire Vc kit because the Seafire F.17 wing chord is about 1.5mm greater at the wing root (the old Airfix wing is spot-on the outline in the Monforton drawings).

Interesting stuff. What prop and spinner are you using? Aeroclub do a really nice injection moulded one if it's still available.

NB this swap would be a bit tricksier with the old Airfix Seafire III/Spitfire Vc kit because the Seafire F.17 wing chord is about 1.5mm greater at the wing root (the old Airfix wing is spot-on the outline in the Monforton drawings).

Dunno about the prop yet ,might try and modify a prop from the airfix MkIX kit as I'm trying to do this model on the cheap, The wing chord doesn't quite match on this one either as you can see by the filler on the wing root fairing.

Dug an Airfix MkIX prop out and had a go at modifing it, added some strip to the trailing edge and blended it in, doesn't look to bad but will have to see it painted before I decide.

spitfireprop001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've done a bit more with this one, added the naval fittings, fuselage strenghtening longerons, reinforcing plates around radio hatch and catapult spools, have also added the spools , undercart from spares box and the arrestor hook. Just needs a bit of a polish and it's nearly time for a primer coat.

seafire3001.jpg

seafire3002.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This week I have been mostly driving tractors, but I have found time to add a coat of primer courtesy of Halfords White primer rattlecan. I have also added the EDSG/DSlG from Humbrol Authentics with a hairy stick.

seafirec001.jpg

seafirec002.jpg

Got a gloss coat on and started to add the decals, made up from the spares box. Finished Seafire will represent an aircraft from 880 NAS ,HMS Implacable, BPF 1946.

002.jpg

Well, my Seafires coming along nicely now, wings on , wheels on ,matt coat on. Still need to add the prop exhausts and sliding canopy. I think it's turning out quite well for a model basically built from the spares box.

seafire7006.jpg

Edited by Andrew Jones

thats very nice that... have looked at this kit a couple of times but doesnt fit my USN build profile.....

Thanks Rob, but ! , you'll have a job to find this kit, it's a "bitsa", MkI fuselage , spare MkXVII wings and the rest from the spares box.