Bristol Fighter 'The Crocodile'.

This is my take on Eduards Bristol Fighter 'The Crocodile'. This was a post WW1 machine based a Witney on Oxfordshire with a training unit, hence the gaudy colour scheme.

There is some debate as to whether it was read & white checks, or black & white. I read somewhere that there was eye witness evidence that it was black so I went with that.

The kit supplies hundreds of pre cut kabuki tape masks but I didn't fancy trying to place them all neatly lined up, so deivised my own simpler method described Here

If anyone is interested in struts and rigging techniques, it is described in another topic Here

All I can say is I'm glad its finished!

f2b1.jpg

f2b2.jpg

f2b3.jpg

f2b4.jpg

f2b5.jpg

f2b6.jpg

f2b7.jpg

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 1

I can't really find the right words to say how blooming good your model is ................ Just totally stunning!!!

This must make the Camel kit appear a breeze in comparison

Epeeman

Fantastic build, patience you have sir !!!!

Also like your diorama, how did you do the grass base ? I'm wanting to do a few bases, but looking for tips.

Edited by woody37

how did you do the grass base ? I'm wanting to do a few bases, but looking for tips.

Many thanks for the kind comments folks, It turned into one of those where the enthusiasm began to wear off, but I had done so much work on it I had to keep going. It ended up being more of a chore than a pleasure to work on. I knocked the rudder off 3 times, and the elevators twice. Each time re-attaching them brought a new blemish on the surface.

The kit itself went together really well. No fit issues or dramas at all for such a complex aeroplane. I'd say it was one of Eduards best. I've got the other profipack boxing of it with standard PC10 camouflage, should be a doddle after this, but I feel the need for a simpler Pfalz or something next.

Woody, the base is just a 18" square of 10mm MDF with plaster 'mod roc' smeard on top to make it uneven. then painted with dark earth. Finally a soultion of diluted white glue, and some railway scenic scatter on it.

Its getting a bit tatty now, so I might redo some of it.

Cheers,

John

I thought you might want to see this. It seems that the undersides of the wings gained checkers at a later date and the speculation is that the earlier scheme was red, the later in black;

crock1.jpg

Edited by 487 Squadron

I thought you might want to see this. It seems that the undersides of the wings gained checkers at a later date and the speculation is that the earlier scheme was red, the later in black;

Wow, Thanks 487 I haven't seen that lower picture before.

I was aware that it was fully checkered at some point and had its serial painted on the fin, (I wish I could remember where I read this), which is why I did mine like that, minus serial. It seems to have been painted in stages so any amount of checkering would seem to be accurate.

I hadn't seen the OH decals sheet either, seems that it is 1/32 so must be aimed at the wingnuts kit. That would look fabulous, and decalling will be far easier. Nice to see that someone else agrees with me on black rather than red.

The million dollar question is that knowing that the centre of the roundel is red, what colour do you think the checks are? Deriving colours from old B&W photos is a complete minefiled. I went for black as I read "somewhere" that there was eye witness evidence that they were black. I'm happy with it like that so if conclusive proof evere emerges that red is correct, please no-one tell me. I don't want to repaint it! ;)

Thanks all for the kind comments,

John