[Tamiya 1/48] Aichi M6A1 Seiran

Antoine

First, thanks for the delay offered for this GB.

Hopefully, I'll be able to finish the following kit, straight out of the box, in five month:

Aichi M6A1 Seiran, Tamiya 1/48.

seiran10.jpg

Here's what I've found when I opened the box.

Instruction sheet

seiran11.jpg

With the aircraft story (In French, sorry...)

seiran12.jpg

Also with some nice technicals tips on how the aircraft was stocked in its submarine, the I-400

seiran13.jpg

Camo

seiran14.jpg

And decals

seiran15.jpg

Edited by Antoine

For a change, I started with the floats.

They're beautifully done, and tamiya provide a weight. Don't search for the second one (As I've done during ten minutes before re-reading the instructions more closely), as there is only one!

seiran20.jpg

Float sides are glued with tamiya thin cement. Using a sanding sponge, back and forth two/three time, and the joint is nowhere to be seen.

seiran21.jpg

The pit is just wonderful.

No need for PE here, have fun with plastic only.

The parts are cleaned, but most are not glued at the moment, to make the painting easier.

seiran22.jpg

Starting to paint the cockpit.

I'm working with the hikoki and the old monogram book (And also with tamiya instructions), but informations concerning the interior colours are sometimes differents, so from the beginning I plan to use my artistic licence as often as required (But not too sure that in my case the word "artistic" is a good choice! :rolleyes: )

The instrument panel is first painted black, and when dry, dry-brushed with an enamel light grey. Then I add some touches of colour here and there (But not too much) with vallejo acrylics.

seiran23.jpg

Well, thanks, but I've just messed up the pit's varnish...

Using a new brand (Winsor & newton), I forgot to shake the bottle, so now the wanabe matt varnish is in fact fully gloss... :rolleyes:

After a second coat (Bottle shaken!), it's still gloss, so I'll leave it to dry for the moment, and give it another go tomorrow.

So, that mess looks good to you?

I might be an half-god if I can take care repair that awful gloss finish without too much damage!

Thanks anyway.

SA, about the MG, it's just painted black, with a metallic gray drybrush.

So, that mess looks good to you?

I might be an half-god if I can take care repair that awful gloss finish without too much damage!

Thanks anyway.

SA, about the MG, it's just painted black, with a metallic gray drybrush.

Nice cockpit until the disaster though.

Shame about that varnish. It looks like the aeroplane was left out in the rain! I don't understand why you flat varnish the insides? It seems to me that you miss out on the opportunity to vary the sheen of the different components.

I've finished with the cockpit, minus the seats, not glued, as I must add harness.

I've done my best to repair the varnish mess, but the result is not up to my expectations.

It'll be better next time.

seiran25.jpg

seiran26.jpg

seiran27.jpg

seiran28.jpg

I've finished with the cockpit, minus the seats, not glued, as I must add harness.

I've done my best to repair the varnish mess, but the result is not up to my expectations.

It'll be better next time.

A closed canopy perhaps? Never mind, mate, you can't win every time.