Graf Spee

This was my first attempt and build of a ship, Matchbox 1/700th waterline "Admiral Graf Spee".

AdmiralGrafSpee9.jpg

AdmiralGrafSpee10.jpg

AdmiralGrafSpee12.jpg

AdmiralGrafSpee13.jpg

AdmiralGrafSpee14.jpg

AdmiralGrafSpee15.jpg

AdmiralGrafSpee18.jpg

I had an idea as to how I was going to do the dio and looked at certain ways of doing the water effect. I eventually just cut a block of packing polystyrene with a saw giving it an uneven effect.

Next I placed the hull of the boat onto the block , marked around it , removed it and then ran a line of liquid glue along the lines and it melted the poly.

Once the ship was in place I covered the base in PVA glue , spread it out with a brush leaving some parts higher and letting it dry.

I then painted the base , and added more glue spreading it out again and letting it dry.

The wave effect down the sides was made by running a line of PVA glue right down either side of the model and brushed to give it a wave effect.

As it was drying I added a white paint just lightly brushed along the sides.

When dry I added more white to make the wake more visible and then gave the base a layer of clear to give it a shine.

I've still to add a bit more white down the sides as I've been advised the wake would be wider from the middle of the model.

I hope you like it .

(PS rigging is made from my daughters hair)