54mm guns & limbers

Ratch

I was recently given these models and wondered about their source (in case I want to purchase others/more).

397695916.jpg

an ambulance

397695917.jpg

I think this is a British 9pdr + limber

397695923.jpg

these appear to be French cannons and a mortar with limbers

397695924.jpg

397695925.jpg

and I think this is also French, possibly an ammunition wagon

If anyone can help to identify them it would be appreciated.

I'll probably have to invest in some figures to go with them :analintruder:

If they are plastic then I would say that they are Historex models.

If they are plastic then I would say that they are Historex models.

Yes, they feel like plastic, not weighty enough for metal, so maybe Historex :hmmm:

That gives me something to go on :wicked:

There is quite a bit of there models here:

http://www.historexagents.com/shop/hxshop.php

That's where I looked, unfortunately their pictures aren't too clear.

Lovely looking models..

They were made by Paul Sargeant of the Northants Military Modellers. He gave them to me as he's moved on from 54mm to bigger scales.

Yep, definitely Historex kits; Those painted green are French, and the light blue/grey set in British. Most of those kits could be bought with figures as well, but the figures do take some skilled work to get them looking good. But to see how good they can look, though, check out the work of Shep Paine - especially his diorama 'Eve of Essling 1809' at:

http://sheperdpaine.com/gallery/Historex/index.htm

I have somewhere a book on Historex figure modelling - I'll see if I can dig it out - but one thing I do seem to remember is that the mounted figures are a bit out of proporation and their torso's should be shortened by about 1mm or so so that they sit a bit more naturally.

The figure kits can ctually be used as mix & match to make many variiations of particular regimenets/uniform styles...

Youi know what, you might just have stimulated my modelling mojo so I might just look on the Historex Agents website for a while (btw, their mail order service has always been exemplary)

Regards

Graeme

I've found the Ambulance in the Historex range, and what I thought was an ammunition wagon is actually a Caisson. The guns could be theirs too :whistle:

A caisson is an ammunition wagon, the French Grimbuval system meant that the French guns had no limbers as such so all their projectiles were stored in Caissons.

A caisson is an ammunition wagon, the French Grimbuval system meant that the French guns had no limbers as such so all their projectiles were stored in Caissons.

Thanks, educational this modelling lark :smartass: