Camping Challenge! One Night Build! In A Tent!

So, me and the wife are on our anniversary trip to our usual haunt, The Deeside Hotel in Ballater, which is in, obviously, Deeside! However, we decided to extend our little trip this year by camping an extra night in the nearby village of Braemar and when we were in the local newsagent-cum-giftshop, I noticed he also sold a nice little selection of kits, ranging from little snap-togethers up to the big 1/24 Mossie! But it was while perusing the 'starter kits' that it struck me like a bolt from heaven.... If we were just going to be spending the night at the campsite, relaxing by the tent, it would be a fun challenge to see if I could build one of those kits in one night (it was already close to 3pm) with nothing but the kit contents - in this case the Airfix 1/72 Mitsubishi Zero, the four acrylic paints, the cement and a paint brush you could comfortably paint the Forth Bridge with. Quickly.

For tools, all I had was my Leatherman Squirt - a mini multi-tool on my keyring - which would give me a blade, a file and scissors.

The gauntlet was laid and the box was promptly opened... GAWWWWD, what a dreadful kit! Honestly, I'm sure each individual part was actually allergic to every other one, especially the one it was supposed to attach to!

Anyway, as it happens, I failed to complete the kit by nightfall - I called it a day at 23:15 due to failing light. BUT, we didn't have to be off the site until noon, so I got stuck back in at 08:04 and at 11:15 was calling... 'it' done. Finito. Finished.

The YouTube build - and I use that word loosely - video can be seen

It looked innocent enough...!

DSCF2949.jpg

The paint didn't like the plastic.

DSCF2976.jpg

There were no discernible frame lines on the coke-bottle canopy bar some faint wispy marks, so I decided to make some masks with duct tape!

DSCF2983.jpg

Did it work...? No. Not really, so I sharpened some twigs and scratched the paint off instead. Results...? Ok. Well, ok for being in a tent.

DSCF3009.jpg

The, erm, 'sub-assemblies'...!

DSCF3027.jpg

As of 11:15 the following morning...

DSCF3067.jpg

DSCF3074.jpg

DSCF3076.jpg

DSCF3080.jpg

Never Again! ;)

Edited by MakingModelsAgain

You failed to mention the Ikea Chopping board, clearly a critical component in your build.

Did u call in the Bothy Tea Shop just down from the News Agent in Ballater, fantastic scones and coffee, in our traditional post mountain biking stop.

Richard McC

I think i know that newsagent, the one with a really small front door?

You've given me an idea for our 1st anniversary excursion to the lakes in a couple of weeks...... do i risk it? ;)

Great build with the conditions and rubbish paint!

You've given me an idea for our 1st anniversary excursion to the lakes in a couple of weeks...... do i risk it? ;)

Dont know if I should tell u this (u being newly married an all) but there used to be a toy shop in Windermere that had a good selection of models. Im talking waaaaaaaaay back but you never know!

Richard

Champagne, soft music, candle lit dinner, Airfix kit.

Perfect??

MH

Well, maybe if it's the Sea Vixen, otherwise, it better be a Tamiya or something stronger than Champagne!!

Who says romance isn't dead eh :)

:giles:

Darius

Well, she did get to pick the kit!!! (was between this and a FW 190!)

You failed to mention the Ikea Chopping board, clearly a critical component in your build.

Did u call in the Bothy Tea Shop just down from the News Agent in Ballater, fantastic scones and coffee, in our traditional post mountain biking stop.

Richard McC

My wife keeps saying we should go in there. Next visit we will, which will probably be our Christmas trip again (snow permitting). We went there last Christmas and only just managed to get in and out!

Dare! Dare! Dare!

Just don't make it an Airfix original!

Actually, the newsagent/toyshop I think you're referring to - the one with the panelled windows - has amalgamated with the one next to the florists. They have opened up the entire back of the place and sell all manner of touristy crap. But a decent stash of kits and the humbrol paint range! Still, pity about the traditional olde shoppe!

lol,

Just trying to imagine the conversation....."I know it's our amiversary darling, but would you mind if I made a model while we're away ? " :lol:

you are a brave man !

......and balls the size of coconuts !!!!!!!!!!

So there is no excuses now, we should all be able to turn out a model in any conditions. On the daily commute by train, while stuck in traffic, Supermarket car park during the weekly shop. Brilliant idea and I do like the little jungle scene on top of the wooden post so even dioramas are possible in this new extreme modelling hobby.

could this be a new sport??extreme modeling?? :hmmm: now there's athought :)

Now that is a very good idea! I have some friends who have done a spot of Exteme Lego...ing and looked a good laugh. Maybe on my next trip to The Lake District I'll make something whilst hiking up a mountain!

Yip its still there

Atkinson's Lake Road Windermere, Tell your wife I gave u this information and Il send the boys round! :)

Richard McC

Thanks!.... i sense a little diversion, as we're staying near Bowness.... :analintruder:

Dare! Dare! Dare!

Just don't make it an Airfix original!

Actually, the newsagent/toyshop I think you're referring to - the one with the panelled windows - has amalgamated with the one next to the florists. They have opened up the entire back of the place and sell all manner of touristy crap. But a decent stash of kits and the humbrol paint range! Still, pity about the traditional olde shoppe!

Yup thats the one..

It looked better on YouTube... ha ha ha!! Never mind, considering the circumstances it isn't all that bad.. and like I said on the video.. hold out until the NEW Airfix Zero comes out.. it's very much different to this lit!! :)

im currently on a long buisness trip and i had to leave all my modelling gear behind, picked up an airfix starter set and i must say its worse then crap, if i were new to this hobby i would run screaming, i feel your pain on the paint just not wanting to stick to the plastic...just..a nightmare all told. Great effort, hope mine looks as tasty as yours.

im currently on a long buisness trip and i had to leave all my modelling gear behind, picked up an airfix starter set and i must say its worse then crap, if i were new to this hobby i would run screaming, i feel your pain on the paint just not wanting to stick to the plastic...just..a nightmare all told. Great effort, hope mine looks as tasty as yours.

I agree. Bought the P-47 starter kit when I started the hobby again. Just dreadful. The brushes were quite good though and glue is well... like glue. Everything else was terrible. More like a finisher kit than starter. If I hadn't known better I'd have left it at that. Sorry, slight thread hijack.

This is a very good effort. Maybe there should be a starter kit GB.

I agree. Bought the P-47 starter kit when I started the hobby again. Just dreadful. The brushes were quite good though and glue is well... like glue. Everything else was terrible. More like a finisher kit than starter. If I hadn't known better I'd have left it at that. Sorry, slight thread hijack.

This is a very good effort. Maybe there should be a starter kit GB.

Not at all. I agree, these starter kits could end someone's desire to pursue this hobby. My wife, in her infinite loving wisdom, just bought me the Airfix 1/72 Gloster Gladiator and it's utterly dreadful in every way. Airfix would be far better off just removing these old toolings completely as they are probably doing more harm than good. Heaven only knows how I'm going to build the damn thing!

i actually also have the gladiator in my stash and its....well as stated..crap. See if airfix were to say do there starter kits with the new tool F-86 and MiG 15, perhaps even there new harrier, revert back to small pots of there enamel paints, to counter this increase the price ever so slightly up to £10 for the F-86 starter set with 4-6 small pots of paint, brush and glue and im certain you would have such a massive winner for new people entering the hobby. Instead all they get is utter tosh. SHame really...hell they could even do there new tool mk1 spit..that would be a hell of a winner.