My F-14 plan

DaveJL

Got a nice little surprise today. A package arrived from Hannants with various bits and pieces and buried right at the bottom was the HiDecal sheet for the Iranian F-14's which i had on backorder!

Think the markings for the next kit are sorted....

Dave,

I too am a Tomcat fan but in 1/72. Some time ago when the Tomcat was being retired a poster was created as below. Thought you might be interested in it.

TomcatPosterFLAT1280.jpg

Robert

Dave,

I too am a Tomcat fan but in 1/72. Some time ago when the Tomcat was being retired a poster was created as below. Thought you might be interested in it.

TomcatPosterFLAT1280.jpg

Robert

That's a great poster, thanks for sharing!

Cheers

Dave

You would almost think the popularity of the film would prompt Paramount to grant decal makers the right to print a sheet!

would that be paramount or the US Navy?

tho' at a guess if I hunted around enough I'd probably most of the right markings anyway - Hasagawa's Tomcats have the Jolly Rogers on the Nimitz

and there are a couple more types available based on the carrier as well.

but a dedicated decal sheet does sound like a nice idea....

would that be paramount or the US Navy?

tho' at a guess if I hunted around enough I'd probably most of the right markings anyway - Hasagawa's Tomcats have the Jolly Rogers on the Nimitz

and there are a couple more types available based on the carrier as well.

but a dedicated decal sheet does sound like a nice idea....

I would say it's the film makers as nearly every other squadron is available in decal form.

so why would the film makers need to give permission unless you used the film title?

Just "USS Nimitz aircraft 1979" would do

(or whenever the movie was made)

so why would the film makers need to give permission unless you used the film title?

Just "USS Nimitz aircraft 1979" would do

(or whenever the movie was made)

I was referring to the fictional markings and names used in top gun. Early Jolly Rogers markings would be fine for a final countdown machine

Breath?.... :lol: At this rate you'll be 'modelled out!"

No chance of that Merv! Have this tornado to finish for the GB then i've entered a Buccaneer for the bomber GB. Plenty to do!

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update to anyone who is interested. Now have 5 F-14's in the stash, excluding my 'in progress' VF-154 Machine.

Think i'll do a VF-213 'D' model after that but then i'm struggling! What would people like to see most? An Iranian one perhaps?

Cheers

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

Sounds ambitious. I see how much area ONE 1/48 Tomcat takes up, I can't imagine how much real estate you'll require once finished.

Had you already seen this? -> Darren Roberts' F-14s

Or this image? -> Display at IPMS Nats

They are all 1/48th and were single-handedly constructed by this gentleman -> Darren Roberts

If it matters, I vote your next project squadron to be VF-11.

VF-11ElCentro100.jpg

Sounds ambitious. I see how much area ONE 1/48 Tomcat takes up, I can't imagine how much real estate you'll require once finished.

Had you already seen this? -> Darren Roberts' F-14s

Or this image? -> Display at IPMS Nats

They are all 1/48th and were single-handedly constructed by this gentleman -> Darren Roberts

If it matters, I vote your next project squadron to be VF-11.

VF-11ElCentro100.jpg

I did see them, quite a collection. Plan to emulate something like that myself! Vf-11 is a good shout, just received some nice two bobs decals for that Squadron.

Dave

I did see them, quite a collection. Plan to emulate something like that myself! Vf-11 is a good shout, just received some nice two bobs decals for that Squadron.

Dave

Splendid choice! Here are a few images I was fortunate to shoot, just in case you needed some inspiration -

VF-11ElCentro100Noseart.jpg

VF-11ElCentro100Tail.jpg

Edited by John B

Splendid choice! Here are a few images I was fortunate to shoot, just in case you needed some inspiration -

VF-11ElCentro100Noseart.jpg

VF-11ElCentro100Tail.jpg

Nice images thanks for sharing. I assume you've seen that Jet up close? What colour of blue would you say the fins are? The two bobs sheet suggests insignia blue, but in my experience this is very dark.

Dave

Sorry if you've mentioned it already and I've missed Dave but how many are you planning in total?

Also is there a VF-114 bird in the project? Only asking as it's my favourite marking next to VF-31.

Sorry if you've mentioned it already and I've missed Dave but how many are you planning in total?

Also is there a VF-114 bird in the project? Only asking as it's my favourite marking next to VF-31.

At least 30 Col. Have 5 completed already, one in progress and a further 5 in the stash. VF-114 wasn't one of my initial choices but i think i will cover it at some point, provided aftermarket decals are available to cover it.

Thanks for your interest.

Dave