My F-14 plan

DaveJL

Well i've got back into the F-14 bug, the one that first got me into modelling at the age of 13 and saw me complete no less than 30 1/72 F-14's. 9 years later, some of these have been binned or passed on.

So, as i exclusively model 1/48 now, my plan is to build at least 30 F-14's (mainly hasegawa as the Academy one, though cheap, is inaccurate and the hobbyboss example will be used for the Iranian machines)

I plan to build machines from the following squadrons:

F-14A VF-1 Wolfpack x2

F-14D VF-2 Bounty Hunters (low viz)

F-14B VF-11 Red Rippers

F-14A VF-14 Tophatters In progress

F-14A VF-21 Freelancers

F-14A VF-24 Renegades

F-14D VF-31 Tomcatters x3

F-14A VF-32 Swordsmen (Libyan Mig killer)

F-14B VF-32 Swordsmen (low viz)

F-14A VF-41 Black Aces (Libyan SU-22 killer)

F-14A VF-41 Black Aces

F-14B VF-74 Bedevilers

F-14A VF-84 Jolly Rogers (low viz)

F-14D VF-101 Grim Reapers

F-14B VF-101 Grim Reapers

F-14B VF-102 Diamondbacks

F-14A VF-103 Sluggers

F-14B VF-103 Jolly Rogers x2 (VF-84 swapped the Jolly Rogers name to VF-103 in 1996)

F-14A VF-111 Sundowners

F-14A VF-124 Gunfighters

F-14B VF-143 Pukin Dogs

F-14A VF-211 Fighting Checkmates x2

F-14D VF-213 Black Lions

F-14A VX-4 Evaluators

F-14A NSAWC

F-14A Iranian Air Force (old 3 tone scheme)

F-14A Iranian Air Force (new 2 tone scheme)

RAF Tomcat F.1 'What if' In progress

Completed Builds

F-14B VF-102 Diamondbacks

F-14D VF-2 Bounty Hunters (hi viz)

F-14A VF-154 Black Knights

F-14D VF-31 Tomcatters x2

F-14D VF-213 Black Lions (last cruise)

F-14D VF-213 Black Lions (OEF)

F-14A VF-84 Jolly Rogers

F-14D VX-9 Playboy Tomcat

F-14B VF-32 Swordsmen (Hi viz)

RAF Tomcat FGR-1 'what if'

As you can tell, i quite like F-14's!! Should keep me busy. Probably take years!

Comments/suggestions/donations of kits (long shot!!), or surplus kits for sale are welcome.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

Lol, so how many unbuilt 48th cats do you have at the moment? And how much are they?

I've three in the stash along with my refurb VF-31 job. Just adding the finishing touches to my VF-2 machine as we speak.

Brand new, they are about £50-60 so not cheap! As a rule i always get them off ebay, some sellers in Hong Kong sell them for nearer £40 with postage. Very few seem to go up on the UK site so i normally get them from America. Hoping some folks on here will have some!

Dave

I've three in the stash along with my refurb VF-31 job. Just adding the finishing touches to my VF-2 machine as we speak.

Brand new, they are about £50-60 so not cheap! As a rule i always get them off ebay, some sellers in Hong Kong sell them for nearer £40 with postage. Very few seem to go up on the UK site so i normally get them from America. Hoping some folks on here will have some!

Dave

How much do they retail for in Tokyo, anyone know? I rather fancy one or two myself, and I'm over there in a couple of weeks...

How much do they retail for in Tokyo, anyone know? I rather fancy one or two myself, and I'm over there in a couple of weeks...

I think between 3500-4500 yen, depending on boxing, or about £26-£40

try here the F-14A comes in at £28 plus £7 postage, if you order more the postage goes down. i ordered from him earlier in the year and service was great and no import duties either!

Thanks for that, always good to have another source! There are a lot of the older boxings listed, but all sold out!

Thanks for that, always good to have another source! There are a lot of the older boxings listed, but all sold out!

they have the F-14A 07246 and F-14D 07212 in stock

Edited by c.smith10

....9 years later, some of these have been binned or passed on.

Dave

such a short life - shocking, absolutely shocking

have you joined the Tomcat single type group build yet?

Go sign up and I'll forgive your unbearable cruelty to the others, may they RIP...

such a short life - shocking, absolutely shocking

have you joined the Tomcat single type group build yet?

Go sign up and I'll forgive your unbearable cruelty to the others, may they RIP...

I have indeed, very much looking forward to it!

What about VF191 and VF194 as they bith flew the Tomcat even if it was for only a short while?

Weren't two squadrons i had thought of. If i get through my list i'll do these ones too!

Dave

What about VF191 and VF194 as they bith flew the Tomcat even if it was for only a short while?

Same thing I was thinking of ! Repliscale did decals for both squadron and these can still be found ( I found them in 1/72 from Rareplanes detective in the US)

A few other squadrons that flew the mighty Tomcat were those of the USN Reserve: VF-201 and 202 on the East Coast and VF-301 and 302 on the West Coast. Have to say that the high vis. vf-201 markings are some of my favourites.

Top gun also used several tomcats with some very nice camouflage schemes, I think twobobs and Hi-decals did decals for these.

The PMTC used a couple of very colourful tomcats too, and these were the only cats to use the AMRAAM missiles, another subject I'd like to build one day !

Best of luck with your plan ! As a Tomcat fan myself I'm looking forward to see some of yours here on the forum !

Same thing I was thinking of ! Repliscale did decals for both squadron and these can still be found ( I found them in 1/72 from Rareplanes detective in the US)

A few other squadrons that flew the mighty Tomcat were those of the USN Reserve: VF-201 and 202 on the East Coast and VF-301 and 302 on the West Coast. Have to say that the high vis. vf-201 markings are some of my favourites.

Top gun also used several tomcats with some very nice camouflage schemes, I think twobobs and Hi-decals did decals for these.

The PMTC used a couple of very colourful tomcats too, and these were the only cats to use the AMRAAM missiles, another subject I'd like to build one day !

Best of luck with your plan ! As a Tomcat fan myself I'm looking forward to see some of yours here on the forum !

Thanks Giorgio. The list i have made is of the 'main' squadrons. I will try, in time, to cover every squadron! Goodness knows how long that will take!

I have a VF-31 machine in progress and plan to do an 'A' model soon. Which squadron, i can't decide!

Dave