Udaloy Class Destroyer

Shar2

Udaloy Class Destroyer

1/350

Artwork.jpg

This recently received etch set is part of the large range of White Ensign Models Russian warship detail upgrades. This one is for Trumpeters Udaloy class destroyers.

It’s becoming difficult not to start repeating myself over several reviews, but you can rarely run out of superlatives when it comes to White Ensign products.

The two sheets that come in the set contain 95 parts of relief etched perfection. The first, measuring 170mm x 145mm, contains replacement parts for the main and foremast including all the required supports and braces. These are complete models in their own right. Also on the fret is the helicopter pad netting and side nets, a full set of boat davits, falls and foot braces and liferaft supports. There are also several inclined ladders, watertight doors, superstructure railings, and a new Fregat radar assembly. Completing the fret are new rotors for the Ka-27 in open and folded states including control links and doublers.

Sheet%201.jpg

Mainmast.jpg

Mast%20parts.jpg

Netting.jpg

Railings%20and%20ladders.jpg

Radars.jpg

The second fret, measuring 270mm x 98mm contains the rest of the ships railings some of which are standard stock items, whilst others are shaped and designed to fit certain parts of the model. Along with the railings all the platforms that are required for the main and foremasts. There are a host of antenna, ECM platforms, smaller radars and dipoles which go towards making Russian warships look so spikey. Completing the fret are the interiors, (that’s right, interiors), for the Ka27 Helicopters, so get your Optivisors out.

Sheet%202.jpg

Railings.jpg

Platforms.jpg

Platforms2.jpg

Conclusion

Another lovely etched set from White Ensign Models. Having used their Sovremmeny set, I can imagine the experience of using this one will be just as rewarding.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of John at

logo.jpg

That's a great looking set and I have to agree that WEM stuff is right up there with the very best. I used their etch set for my 1:700 Trumpeter Renown and it was a joy to use.