1904 Mercedes

Ok guys, I might need some help here, I'm right out of my comfort zone, a 1904 Mercedes being built for an airfield diorama.

The car.

Merc01.jpg

The kit, a 1974 Airfix vintage.

Merc02.jpg

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Pete

• 3 months later...

Will be watching this topic with interest,cos have just got me grubby little hands on the same for for a WW1 diorama too. :)

This brings back memories - I had the great fortune to get up close and personal with one of the very earliest racing Benzes a couple of years ago, in its secret location in Maryland. The chap who fettled it to running condition gave me a rundown on the work - quite a story!

Afraid I didn't have a camera with me, so can't help on that front. Of course, back in those days, the badge read Benz Mercedes, not Mercedes-Benz.

Enjoy the build!

One curious thing is that the car is right hand drive.

This is quite a simple kit to make and comes out quite well. I don't think I had any major issues with it at all.

DSC09165.jpg

DSC09169.jpg

DSC09173.jpg

It's probably time these old Airfix cars did the rounds again. They've not been around for a while.

It's probably time these old Airfix cars did the rounds again. They've not been around for a while.

I quite agree. I built nearly all the range when they were plentiful. Not bad kits even for the time and some of the later tools were really nice like the De Dietrich, 2 seat Model T, Bugatti, MG K3 and so on. After coming across the London-Brighton run yesterday while heading North into Redhill, I went all silly while at the wheel and the wife telling me to concentrate on the road ahead which gave me cause to recall all those V&V cars from Airfix!! Anyway, seeing all those wondeful old motors hissing and puffing up and down the hilly route reminded me that some or most MUST be 100 years old now!!!

• 2 years later...