Airfix Angels Interceptor

Ah thanks Marty

wasn't sure if it was already released yet

good news

unless you are the guy selling one on ebay for 39 quid

launched as in take off, bad joke

Always wanted one as a kid like everything else in the Aifix catalogue

But as a Captain Scarlet fan it was disappointing not to have one...

until August then :D

Ah thanks Marty

wasn't sure if it was already released yet

good news

unless you are the guy selling one on ebay for 39 quid

y

until August then

Got a couple of originals, but mine are definitely not for sale.

It will be interesting to see if the re-issue has upgraded decals with canon Spectrum roundels including the gold? Or will we be heading off to JBOT decals once again?

The UNCLE 48 scale Angel is still available and is uber accurate - it's well worth a dip if one looking for a large scale version.

Marty...

Couldn't find a linky for the UNCLE version

Not too bothered about accuracy tbh as I want to get over AMS :lol:

Would be cool to have a better kit.

Did find this site which has a 1/24 Angel Interceptor plus a load of other rather tasty models

http://www.harrowmodellingsociety.co.uk/picsscifi.htm

apologies if you guys have already seen it.

Also this thread on Dakka may be of interest

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/381295.page

Got a couple of originals, but mine are definitely not for sale.

It will be interesting to see if the re-issue has upgraded decals with canon Spectrum roundels including the gold? Or will we be heading off to JBOT decals once again?

The UNCLE 48 scale Angel is still available and is uber accurate - it's well worth a dip if one looking for a large scale version.

Marty...

I heard that Airfix did visit Cloudbase the other week where Colonel White put an intereptor at their disposal for the day.

Edited by Jonathan Mock

Couldn't find a linky for the UNCLE version Not too bothered about accuracy tbh as I want to get over AMS :lol:

Would be cool to have a better kit.

That's because it's UNCL, sorry about that - down to my less than impressive typing skills. Anyhow, here is a link to it.

http://www.comet-miniatures.com/dbassets/UCL0002n2.jpg

http://www.comet-miniatures.com/dbassets/UCL0002n3.jpg

http://www.comet-miniatures.com/browse.php...139&zone=19

Comet have it on offer, that is a genuine reduction as I bought it at the higher price. If you pop over to the Eagle Transporter Forum there is a chap with the user name Uncle Bill, he makes them and I know sells direct. It is seriously a very nice kit indeed, but still benefits from the equally impressive JBOT decals. UNCL have a neat range their large scale SID and MEV are every bit as good as the AI.

The Airfix kit is not too bad accuracy wise it's a bit clunky and lacks a certain fidelity as befits a kit of that age, but overall shape and proportions are not bad. There is some indication Airfix may have had access to the filming miniature when designing and producing the kit. That is why, if they produce a nice decal sheet with it - like making sure the gold is right etc it will be an inspired re-release. Oh! Airfix, it would be neat if you retained the original box art as well. But, I'm not holding much hope, out as Granada will probably insist on some form of corporate images/packaging.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

During my searches there was a discussion about the artwork and much scorn on the new version

TBH I don't think it is toobad and is possibly inspired by the Roy Cross painting, but not up to his standard or that of the current digital work.

Pics are up on the Airfix site, sorry am hopeless at posting images from there.

Sadly the Uncl kit is beyond my budget Marty :(

Thanks for the links

During my searches there was a discussion about the artwork and much scorn on the new version

TBH I don't think it is toobad and is possibly inspired by the Roy Cross painting, but not up to his standard or that of the current digital work.

Thanks for the links

That is the original artwork, isn't it?

John

Thanks for the links

If they are are using that artwork that it is mega cool. The original artwork on the original 'type 3' boxing was a lot tighter - which suggests that the re-release may have returned to Roy Cross's more expansive original painting.

The numbers are just stuff of fan-boy dreams - in the 'series' the lead Angel was predominantly Symphony, sometimes Melody. 737 appear on the 'original' Airfix decals but I can find no basis for it.

£75 nicker for a work of art that was previously £115 can't be bad.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

The numbers are just stuff of fan-boy dreams - in the 'series' the lead Angel was predominantly Symphony, sometimes Melody. 737 appear on the 'original' Airfix decals but I can find no basis for it.

737 did appear on the filming miniatures, just wondering what the numbers were on the others.

I have feeling the Spectrum roundels may well printed in the proper colours this time.

• 11 months later...

I can remember some years ago at an IPMS Show someone did one up in RAF Camouflage with sidewinders, rocket pods and extra fuel tanks. It was placed in with assorted RAF Jaguars, Tornados, and Phantoms etc. Quite amusing watching people make a double take when they first saw it.

There was a nice article recently in one of the mags converting the intercepter to an RAF bird, the nose was changed, winglets moved to above the intake, wheeld u/c added with weapons . Apparantly the new kit has much better decals including correct colour roundels and the underside A, the kit is as original which isn't too bad. I can feel a whiffer coming on here :thumbsup:

There was a nice article recently in one of the mags converting the intercepter to an RAF bird, the nose was changed, winglets moved to above the intake, wheeld u/c added with weapons . Apparantly the new kit has much better decals including correct colour roundels and the underside A, the kit is as original which isn't too bad. I can feel a whiffer coming on here :thumbsup:
Just looked ast Models for Sale and they have 2 listed in stock. The artwork is Roy Cross Edited by Berwickboy