It`s not fair, I want one!

tonyot

Hiya Folks,

Having seen photos of the parts of the new Tamiya 1/32nd scale P-51D Mustang kit plus others of built up kits I really want to build one in RAF markings but there is no way that I can afford £103 for it, am I just being tight fisted or should I just admit that this is the way things are nowadays and that I`ve finally been priced out of the market?

Look forward to your comments,.....if any?

Cheers

Tony

..I think the simple - and perhaps unpalatable - answer is 'yes ! ' - see this month's SAM editorial. Ideally I'd like a BMW 3 series but have to drive a C2 ....and spend any spare cash on a holiday in Greece for the missus..

mind you if utility bills and such keep spiralling up we are all in for some desperately hard times ( in the UK at least..)

Hiya Folks,

Having seen photos of the parts of the new Tamiya 1/32nd scale P-51D Mustang kit plus others of built up kits I really want to build one in RAF markings but there is no way that I can afford £103 for it, am I just being tight fisted or should I just admit that this is the way things are nowadays and that I`ve finally been priced out of the market?

Cheers

Tony

I know exactly how you feel Tony, these large scale kits are too rich for me as well , would really love a 1/24 Mosquito, and the 1/32 tamiya Spitfire and Mustang, but the're all out of my price range, even some 1/48 kits ,I have to think twice about these days. Shopped around for a long while to get a good deal on the Airfix Sea Vixen before buying.

Andrew

:shithappens:

Now if that had been a Seafire.............. well ...... I would go the extra overdraft........ Seafire 17 in 1/32 .. BIG overdraft!! :wub:

But at the end of the day how much is too much??

PS

Great artical in Airfix mag. Tony :thumbsup2: Very helpfull. ;)

The price of a Tamiya Mustang is approximately the same as 34 pints of beer or 20 packets of cigarettes.

It'll give you 50 times the pleasure of either - and is 100 times better for your long-term health.

If you don't smoke or drink ............ then work it out on the cost of petrol :analintruder:

And I don't even do 1:32nd !

Ken

The price of a Tamiya Mustang is approximately the same as 34 pints of beer or 20 packets of cigarettes.

Well said that man! You always hear folk whinging about the price of Cigs and Alcohol, but does it stop them buying them? No.

Relish are doing them at a nice price or you can order it from Japan direct and have it cost you £59. I did, ships on the 22nd of this month.

Adam

Hiya Folks,

Cheers

Tony

Comments?

Yes, WAIT! Don't believe the hype!

I have seen the Tamiya Spit sold here for about £70, this is such 'must have' item, with all the attendant rabid over consumption that will entail, that they will be cluttering up stashes over the land soon, and inevitably will be sold on when other factors come into play.... other halfs and bills seem to be common reasons...

Gawd, sounds cynical, but you see my reasoning... save some cash up for the end of Jan 2012! They'll turn up then for sure.

I'm impressed at the kit detial, but I stick to 1/48th.....

now, Tamiya, how about retooling your 1/48th kit with proper wheel wells!!

cheers

T

Hiya Folks,

Cheers

Tony

The only thing stopping me buying one is myself!! The day I fork out 100 notes on a single kit is the day I bungy jump of the Flamborough Light House Not that I wouldn't spend 100 quid on Models plural , I just refuse to pay more than £50 for a single kit , which I did for the 32nd Rutman P51B.

I've enough Mustangs to keep me going for a few years anyway .

Never really been one for the" latest big toy must get rid of all the others syndrome."

Cheers

Terry McGrady

The quality of the Tamiya kit is undeniable and when you look at the hours per £ of pleasure that the kit will give you it is probably a great bargain, however I will not be buying one as I build my kits all "buttoned" up and it would be a waste of money for me as I am sure all the super detail is adding to the super price. I'll stick to bodging the old Hasagawa one, it looks vaguely like a Mustang when it's put together, unless Tamiya do an Eduard and fetch out a stripped down weekend edition at a reasonable price.

Now if it was a Hawker Tempest or a Fairey Firefly I might be tempted !

Cheers

Den

Well said that man! You always hear folk whinging about the price of Cigs and Alcohol, but does it stop them buying them? No.

Adam

Sorry, can't afford to smoke or drink either!

Can't afford one at the moment - but I really do want one!

Having built the Zero, with another two of those to do, the overall package is a real treat - and they're a real joy to build. In fact the Zero I built was the action/sound one - built in three days - some may have heard it running at Telford over the years. I'd love Tamiya to do similar sets for the Spit and Mustang - digital Merlin noises anyone? :)

I also have the Spit IX - which will get built - hopefully later this year...

Why these over others? Simply because in my experience they're about as close as you can get to perfection in model form and are a real treat - even though generally I'd generally rather have the Hasegawa approach of good accuracy without unnecessary bells and whistles. And it's not that I'm afraid to hack plastic (as some of my other projects will demonstrate) - but now and then it's nice to assemble something so well engineered and researched.

I normally don't go in for engine bays etc. - but having seen some of the Tamiya Spits built with amazing engine bays I really want to go to town on one...

And it's not about having the latest/greatest/bragging rights - as witnessed by the great fun and enjoyment I've had from the 21st Century kits at £1.99

Cost? Well - it's less that an hour in one of my flying clubs Cessna 152s if that puts it into perspective (and, yes, I know, I'm fortunate to be able to afford that occasionally...)

But I doubt I'll end up with many multiples in the stash! ;)

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

£100 is still alot of money (paid £70 for a tank of fuel today so not as much s it used to be) and is a sort of phsycological barrier for the price of a kit but I will still pay over £100 for a kit providing I feel I am getting value for money from it. Personally when it comes to these particular kits I would be reluctant to pay the asking price because I prefer not to have panels open and engines on display. Much prefer the PCM Spitfire. However I have today purchased the Revell 1/32 Ju-88 on line from Modelzone for £30 with free delivery and I will now be ordering a Ju-188 conversion from AIMS for it which is going to cost £115. Total cost for the package £145 - alot of money but a huge amount of modelling and (hopefully) a stunning model at the end which should be worth every penny.

Andrew

If you really want a kit, please stop moaning about how much it costs, just save up for it. Or as an alternative wait for someone to sell one cheaper. I've managed to bag both the Tamiya Spit VIII and IX off Ebay for far less than RRP and have pre-ordered the Mustang from HLJ with a discount, so there are ways and means of getting them. As Iain has said it's not about bragging rights it's about buying a kit that gives pleasure without the need to really work at it, and somethimes that's a nice change to fighting a kit into submission. On the opposite end of the scale I've also got several Revell/Matchbox Mk 22/24 Spits but then have had to buy quite a bit of AM stuff to get them right, or convert them to other marks. If you're so worried about the cost of kits, it's a good job you don't build 1/350 ships, particularly Hasegawas where you also have the cost of all their add-on sets to add to the bill. As an example, if you want a top of the line Akagi it's going to cost you nearer £400.

I don't see anyone here moaning, just quoting the facts of life. At the end of the day, this is a hobby and people pay as much or as little as they think reasonable - but it has to come after the essentials, which are spiralling upwards in price every day. The kit manufacturers will make a commercial judgement on how much they think they can charge and still attract custom. It's not a judgement I'm qualified to make (the more so in this case as I'm not interested in 1/32), and I sympathise with them, but I know that I'm going to be digging into the stash - which could keep me going for the rest of my life, if I'm realistic - and be extremely discriminating on what I add to it. It costs enough just to keep supplied with paint and other consumables. I regret this: I've been buying kits for 40+ years, and I've bought the new Airfix Harrier (a fine and sensibly-priced kit) in memory of the days when I used to snap up every pocket-money Airfix release, but they're getting beyond what I can sensibly afford to spend in the current climate.

Worth the money? Every penny. We bang on about wanting kit companies to push the envelope, well for the super deluxe state of the art kit where that level of attention requires huge amounts of investment both time and money, , that's the entrance fee.

Yeah it is a lot of money, but thats what near perfection costs.

There's a theme running through this thread that reminds me of one of Harry Enfields characters, " We appear to be be considerably richer than you".

Bide your time and wait it out. When the Tam spit came out folk complained about the price and now I have seen folk get them for roundabout £70.

Edited by Pilgrim_UK

Hiya Folks,

Cheers

Tony

Who's quoting £103 for it? I can get it for less US dollars than that from HLJ. Their price is ~6800 Yen, which is WAY less than £103 (like about half that much).

Who's quoting £103 for it? I can get it for less US dollars than that from HLJ. Their price is ~6800 Yen, which is WAY less than £103 (like about half that much).

Yes, but you don't have to risk the U.K. Customs import duty, plus 20% VAT, plus extra delivery charge, plus extra for daring to draw breath.

Edgar

Yes, but you don't have to risk the U.K. Customs import duty, plus 20% VAT, plus extra delivery charge, plus extra for daring to draw breath.

Edgar

So very true Edgar and don't forget the Demand for extra Council Tax to the tune of £287.97 I received from Fife Council on Saturday because "They" made a cock up in the original calculations last March. If I had a choice between a 32nd P-51 for a hundred nicker and paying for a bunch of neer-do-well's champagne lunches, I know which I'd choose !

DR