Ki-86 'Cypress'

CliffB

Nice to see this one in colour so to speak Cliff. The scheme certainly is different and I'm looking forward to seeing it applied to your model.

Nice to see this one in colour so to speak Cliff. The scheme certainly is different and I'm looking forward to seeing it applied to your model.

Thank you Col.

Well here it is with the masking tape just removed.

P1070888.jpg

A little bit of tidying up to do on some edges, but you do get a good impression of just how effective this style of 'dazzle' camouflage really is! :wacko:

Cheers

Cliff

A little bit of tidying up to do on some edges, but you do get a good impression of just how effective this style of 'dazzle' camouflage really is! :wacko:

"...camouflage..." ?! They really had no idea what they were trying to achieve, in my opinion. I think they were stuck in a deep psychological conflict between, on the one hand, a fantasy of flamboyant Samurai superiority and on the other, the realities of 20th Century industrialised warfare. I could argue the point that the entire course of the Pacific war resulted from that lack of insight in the collective Japanese psyche. It was obvious that they would lose against the Americans, so obvious in fact that no rational person expected them to attack. That accounts for their initial successes before the industrialized nations caught their breaths and then spanked Japan so thoroughly. It reminds me of a toddler having a tantrum and biting Mum in the kneecaps - Mum initially steps back, but then the kid's in a world of hurt!

Sorry Don, I missed your post on 4th. Looks like the dazzle camo still has the power to distract the observer! (only joking ;)

So here's the Cyress finished at last. National markings are from the kit, the rest are home made on my ink jet printer.

Thank you to all who watched and/or commented :cheers:

P1070889.jpg

More pictures to follow.

Cliff

Edited by CliffB

Thanks Don - your kind comments are much appreciated.

See you in Malta!

Cliff

And well deserved. It's rare that something small and 1/72 catches my eye like this did.

I look forward to Malta. It will be so much warmer than Amchitka, and more women too! I'm doing the PR Beaufighter. What's your plan?

"...camouflage..." ?! They really had no idea what they were trying to achieve, in my opinion. I think they were stuck in a deep psychological conflict between, on the one hand, a fantasy of flamboyant Samurai superiority and on the other, the realities of 20th Century industrialised warfare. I could argue the point that the entire course of the Pacific war resulted from that lack of insight in the collective Japanese psyche. It was obvious that they would lose against the Americans, so obvious in fact that no rational person expected them to attack. That accounts for their initial successes before the industrialized nations caught their breaths and then spanked Japan so thoroughly. It reminds me of a toddler having a tantrum and biting Mum in the kneecaps - Mum initially steps back, but then the kid's in a world of hurt!

Not really. Army trainers were originally painted yellow as in many other countries but it was not an especially bright yellow or a particularly orange yellow. As the war turned against the Japanese and they came under increasing attack on their home airfields units were ordered to camouflage trainer aircraft on the top surfaces with suitable colours such as dark green. IIRC the RAF did something similar with their yellow trainers? The orders were somewhat ambiguous and no doubt driven by time and material constraints so that many aircraft just had a disruptive pattern added to the yellow rather than a complete paint job.

When trainer aircraft were co-opted to special attack (kamikaze) duties those to be used in dawn and dusk attacks were ordered to be painted in "Nibi iro" (鈍色 - literally dull colour, but can sometimes taken to mean dark grey). The order was ambiguous and so resulted in a lot of variation across units and locations including the use of grey and black paint.

Most of the Japanese flying personnel at the time were under no illusions about the likely outcome. This colour scheme was not motivated by a "fantasy of flamboyant Samurai superiority" but by necessity and urgency in an increasingly desperate struggle.

One might also argue that the road to war resulted in part from the lack of insight to the "collective Japanese psyche" by the Allies.

Very lovely model, nicely presented.

Very nice, and also outstanding in many ways.

See you in Malta!
I look forward to Malta. It will be so much warmer than Amchitka, and more women too! I'm doing the PR Beaufighter. What's your plan?

Malta?

What are you talking about. Both of you join the GB?

Begining in april? That's feasible, I've a project that could fit in.

One might also argue that the road to war resulted in part from the lack of insight to the "collective Japanese psyche" by the Allies.

Yes, good point. Perhaps the roads which lead to ALL to wars have their share of misperceptions and irrational stumbles forward.

Thanks guys for the continuing interest and comments :) .

Yes Antoine, Don and I were refering to next year's Malta GB. I've got an old 1/72 Italerei He 111-H, which I bought new in the late 70s. It was brilliant back then, but is now really showing it's age with loads of raised panel lines and poorly fitting parts. Still, one of the decal options is for a nice sand and green mottled torpedo bomber, which the instructions say is from 2/KG 26, Mediterranian Sea 1942-3. I'm hoping that this will be suitable for the theme.

So what might you build for the Malta GB, Antoine?

Please say it's the Latecoere 298! :pray:

Cheers

Cliff

Sorry, Cliff, I'm far from being a Franco-French builder, no Laté for me.

And there are so few pics from the Malta one...

No, if I'm really going into this one, I'm thinking about a spit.

This one:

large.jpg

I've the decals, I must get the tamiya kit, with some ultracast bits.

About your 111 from 2./KG26, I'm not so sure, but if they were for sure in the Mediteranean, I've never heard about operations above the island. I think they were sent in North Africa for Torch, then went on to Sicily for the next landing.

Sorry, Cliff, I'm far from being a Franco-French builder, no Laté for me.

About your 111 from 2./KG26, I'm not so sure, but if they were for sure in the Mediteranean, I've never heard about operations above the island. I think they were sent in North Africa for Torch, then went on to Sicily for the next landing.

Oh well Antoine, if my Heinkel proves to be a non-starter, then maybe I could do the Latecoere myself..... :wicked:

Your Spit sounds be good!

Cliff