Ki-86 'Cypress'

CliffB

In the hope that 'non combatants' are allowed into the GB :pray:, I would like to enter please with a Ki-86, Army Type 4 primary trainer.

This was a licence built version of the Bucker Bu.131, so I will be basing my model on the Huma Bu.131 kit.

P1070447.jpg

P1070448.jpg

The kit generously provides nine decal options for a range of military and civilian aircraft, including one, pale grey overall, Japanese aircraft.

P1070449.jpg

Thankfully, many Ki-86s were a more colourful orange, like this one.

CMR1208.jpg

Better still, the Mark 1 profile on the Bu.131 features a very striking orange Ki-86 with additional two-tone green irregular camouflage. I shall be giving that one a go.

Hope this is OK.

Cliff

Edited by CliffB

Obscure but way cool..!!

Cheers,

ggc

• 2 months later...

About time I started this.

The kit is classic Huma - limited run, with a bit of flash, but fundamentally sound parts. :)

Best of all lots of options. In addition to that generous decal sheet, you also get a coice of wheel or ski undercarriage and the option of either the original Hirth in-line engine or a later Lycomming.

P1070865.jpg

The Hirth front-end is the one for the Cypress, although I will have to modify the air intake openings quite a bit.

The cockpit interior has some detail (seats, control columns and instrument panels), but I have added a bit of tubular structure for interest.

P1070866.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

Hi Don

Yes it is pretty small - just the way I like them!

This afternoon has been a time for interiors, both for the Cypress and for the Islander that is also on my bench at the moment.

P1070870.jpg

P1070871.jpg

I read somewhere that grey was used as a WWII Japanese cockpit colour, so I've been happy to go just with primer.

The instruments come from the kit's decal sheet. They are accurate for a Bu.131, but not quite right for this Ki-86 - close enough though I think. Similarly, the harnesses are from an Airwaves WWII Luftwaffe PE set and I ran out of lap straps a long time ago! Still, when the fuselage is closed up it all looks OK.

Hoping to get the construction finished over the next week.

Cliff

• 3 weeks later...

A little more progress today...

P1070880.jpg

Most Bu 131s seemed to operate with fabric fairing panels stretched between the two main undecarriage legs on both sides (as per the box art). The kit's undercarriage parts reflect this.

Photos of the particular Ki-86 that I'm modelling however, show it operating with an un-faired undercarriage. A few minutes with some brass rod soon got that sorted.

P1070881.jpg

As go can see, the Bucker has an unusual assymetric u/c strut arrangement, with one strut appearing to be missing, running back from the 'X - strut'. This appears to be legit for the Ki-86 too - I've no idea why it was arranged like this?

Cheers

Cliff

Edited by CliffB

Thanks for the comments guys - apologies for not responding sooner.

Absolutely no progress since my last post, but I'm hoping to pick up some nice orange paint at Telford today which will hopefully prompt me to crack on and get it finished.

Cheers

Cliff

Back in harness now and about to start painting.

Before this though, I've just noticed that the wing shape on the Huma kit is not quite right.

P1070884.jpg

As it comes, you get the rouded profile on the right. It should have a chamfered profile as I've done on the left. This appears to be correct for both the Bu.131 and the Cypress.

Hopefully will be posting pictures of something orange soon!

Cliff

OK, we've been tangoed!

I spent much of last Sunday afternoon at Telford trudging round the traders' stands, clutching the coulour artwork from the excellent Mark 1 Bu 131 profile, trying to find a good 'out of the bottle' paint colour match for the orange. The best I could find (with the help of the International Centre's glorious sodium lighting), was Vallejo Model Colour 70911 Light Orange.

I must say that I'm pretty pleased with the results :)

P1070885.jpg

Now to mess it all up with some clumsily applied greens...

Cheers

Cliff

That orange looks spot on Cliff - am with you on the centre lighting - does very funny things to colours!

Not seen the camouflage over orange before - looks ace - and quite inspiring - may have to have a go in 1:32.

Iain

Thanks Ian

I bought the Huma kit a few years ago with the intention of doing one of the many colourful civil schemes. However, when I saw this Japanese version I was won over - just glad the GB has given me an excuse to build it!

I think it would be a real show-stopper in 1/32 :D

Cheers

Cliff

Super stuff! What an unusual and colourful subject, this is going to look great!

Thanks Phil - fingers crossed!

Suddenly it reminds me of the old Airfix Tiger Moth.

Only the thickness of the wings separates them (that's about a scale foot on the Airfix kit!) :D

Cheers

Cliff

Edited by CliffB