1/48 Ki61-I Hei (Tony)

rowmk9

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Yes Don the paintscheme is one of the most colourful I've ever done, it certainly is eye catching. Despite its colourful almost showbird appearance, this aircraft was a deadly adversary to the American B-29's attacking Japan. Captain Kobayashi has 5 confirmed B-29 kills, a formidable feat I'm sure you'll agree.

What colour did you use for the prop and spinner?

I have one of these to build, but I won't be starting it until the new year. It will be in a scheme similar to yours, but with the green blotches removed and white "bandages" around the wings and fuselage.

What colour did you use for the prop and spinner?

Hi Enzo. It's a combo of colours. First undercoated black, then sprayed completely silver. then some fluid masking put on with a sponge to later create the scratches. Then a 60/40 mix of Tamiya XF-1 Flat black and XF-64 Red Brown. This coat proved a bit too dark, so it was oversprayed with a 85/15 mixture of the red brown and flat black. I did a tiny bit of fluid masking between the dark and lighter brown coats on the tip of the nose and edges of the props, creating the dark 'undercoat' patches.

Thats the simple answer anyway. I have a decent colour pic of a Ki61 prop and it was darker than plain old Tamiya XF-64 Red Brown I was going to use.

Here it is, The copyright and source I do not know, I am shamefully forced to admit. So I will take it down if asked. Come to think of it, this looks like a black and white photo with colour added later. oh well! still cool.

628944.jpg

Edited by rowmk9

Nice!?Nice!?The girlnext door is NICE this is brilliant!LOLGreat build mate!

Regards:

Shaun

Agreed. That is a very good build. Although now I want to meet Shaun's neighbour. Pics please?

Im agog over the tan interior color. I did the old ARII Tony sometime back, before I knew anything ( :) ) and I just slogged on grey paint.

I was an actual model builder back then and didn't hold up production for anything as mundane as correct interior colors.

I also didnt have the internet, yet.

Edited by dahut

• 3 weeks later...