Valom 1/72 Bristol Brigand T.Mk. 4

JasonW

Hi all, my first post here on Britmodeller. Figured this would be the place to go to get the answer to the question at hand and why not start off with a question regarding a Brit aircraft.

I got a really good deal on a Valom 1/72 Bristol Brigand T.Mk. 4 kit, roughly half the retail price. Problem is I'm not much for trainers and would much rather build it as a B.Mk.1. The kit actually has two canopies as well as what appears to be armament in the form of wing mounted rockets included in the trainer kit. Knowing the way some of these Czech manufacturers work, I am assuming this sprue is the same as in the Brigand fighter bomber version from Valom? I figure it can't be that difficult aside from markings, correct?

Any assistance that you guys have would be appreciated and thanks in advance for any assistance the experts here can lend.

Oh, and thanks for having me even though I'm on the wrong side of the pond. :)

Welcome to BritModeller Jason,

Despite living "on the wrong side of the Pond", you can't be all bad if you like the Brigand! :speak_cool: For the record, I'm a Brit on the "wrong side of the Pond"...the Empire strikes back etc! :hobbyhorse:

I'm no expert on the Brigand but I'm sure someone will be able to give you chapter and verse on the modifications necessary to turn your kit into a model of a more operational variant. Presumably decals will be one area of concern, particularly unit markings - there were some interesting schemes worn during the Malayan insurgency in the 1950s but finding the right unit badges etc might be tricky.

For what it's worth, I've found the people on this forum to be friendly, knowledgeable and able to discuss issues in detail. I hope you enjoy your experience and keep coming back to this great resource and the people who make it a success.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by mhaselden

Not having it but having the TF1 and the B1 kits, they're the same plastic in all the boxes but with new decals and in the case of the TF1, a resin torpedo. Pretty sure you can build it as a B.1 from the box as the T.5 had a longer radar nose for trainer radar operators. The canopies - the heavily framed one is for the very early TF1s, production TFs would have had the same canopy as the B.1 and indeed the early B.1s were rebuilt TFs.

Hi

welcome fellow 'wrong side of the ponder '

There is a previous thread on the board that discusses the trailing edge of the brigand, seems the valom kit might need a slight mod.

The search feature should find it I think it was the one on the hallam vac brigand.

cheers

Jerry

As another Yank on Britmodeller, welcome :)

Freightdog in their 'Brits Abroad' decal sets have included markings for a couple of Brigands. I only have the B.1, but I also think the plastic is the same in them all.

http://www.freightdogmodels.co.uk/product_...3fd27e669741f33 includes a T.5

http://www.freightdogmodels.co.uk/product_...3fd27e669741f33 includes a B.1

Welcome to BritModeller Jason,

Despite living "on the wrong side of the Pond", you can't be all bad if you like the Brigand! :speak_cool: For the record, I'm a Brit on the "wrong side of the Pond"...the Empire strikes back etc! :hobbyhorse:

I'm no expert on the Brigand but I'm sure someone will be able to give you chapter and verse on the modifications necessary to turn your kit into a model of a more operational variant. Presumably decals will be one area of concern, particularly unit markings - there were some interesting schemes worn during the Malayan insurgency in the 1950s but finding the right unit badges etc might be tricky.

For what it's worth, I've found the people on this forum to be friendly, knowledgeable and able to discuss issues in detail. I hope you enjoy your experience and keep coming back to this great resource and the people who make it a success.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks for the welcome Mark.

I like the Brigand, but not as much as I like the Supermarine Spitfire/Seafire (in the stash I have 83 kits in 1/72 scale of variants of the Spitfire - it's an illness really). Particularly fond of the Griffon engined variants, but like them all. Also fond of the Gloster Gladiator, Hawker Fury, Gloster Javelin, Gloster Meteor, Supermarine Swift and English Electric Lightning among others. Oh, and who can forget the Canberra, Valiant, Victor and Vulcan. I've got a soft spot for Brit aircraft so I figure I'll get along here just fine. :)

I hereby dub thee "Sir Jason the W", honorary Brit and Member of the Most Excellent Order of Anglophiles and Brit-Plane-Worshippers. :mike:

Yep, you'll get along just fine here!!!

Cheers,

Mark

(P.S. For all the true Brits out there, looks like we've corrupted another former-Colonial :yahoo: )

Edited by mhaselden

Hi Jason

Here is the one I made : My Brigand B Mk I

Feel free to ask any question. And I'm sure the sprues are the same.

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for directing me to your build. That is an excellent looking model. I hope my kit can look half as good when I build it.

What was the paint scheme for that build? In particular, what were the colors you used for the upper (lighter) and the lower (darker) colors? I don't have the B.1 directions so the only scheme I have access to is the trainer.

Not having it but having the TF1 and the B1 kits, they're the same plastic in all the boxes but with new decals and in the case of the TF1, a resin torpedo. Pretty sure you can build it as a B.1 from the box as the T.5 had a longer radar nose for trainer radar operators. The canopies - the heavily framed one is for the very early TF1s, production TFs would have had the same canopy as the B.1 and indeed the early B.1s were rebuilt TFs.
Thanks for the info Wooksta. I had assumed the sprues were mostly the same across the board with all the Valom Brigand kits, but better to be safe and ask for confirmation.

Have I seen you over on the What If forum?

I hereby dub the Sir Jason, honorary Brit and Member of the Most Excellent Order of Anglophiles and Brit-Plane-Worshippers. :mike:

Yep, you'll get along just fine here!!!

Cheers,

Mark

(P.S. For all the true Brits out there, looks like we've corrupted another former-Colonial :yahoo: )

But wait, there's more. :D

I also have on DVD ALL of the Monty Python television series and the movies as well, all the Black Adder series, both seasons of Fawlty Towers, and Benny Hill. Love British comedy.

Oh, and let's not forget the Royal Navy ship models and Brit tank models in the stash. :)

As another Yank on Britmodeller, welcome :)

Freightdog in their 'Brits Abroad' decal sets have included markings for a couple of Brigands. I only have the B.1, but I also think the plastic is the same in them all.

http://www.freightdogmodels.co.uk/product_...3fd27e669741f33 includes a T.5

http://www.freightdogmodels.co.uk/product_...3fd27e669741f33 includes a B.1

Thanks for the welcome Chuck and thanks also for the heads up on the Freightdog Models decals. I just ordered that sheet with the B.1 as well as a nice looking Freightdog British Anti-Flash Roundels, Serials and Codes sheet and 1/72nd Supermarine Swift belly tanks, and a Silver Cloud 1/72nd Vulcan B.2 Olympus 201 tailpipe set and 1/72nd Buccaneer S.2 early conversion set.

Lots of nice stuff on that site, I'll probably be back for some of the TSR.2 sets.

You're right...it's a disease and you're most definitely afflicted! Now if we could only fix the whole color/aluminum/meter thing we'd be fine!! :P
I work as an engineer, and the whole meter thing, while much simpler and easier to understand would wreak havoc on my day to day work. My brain thinks in inches, feet and yards on a daily basis.

Fortunately, when I get drawings from overseas I have a nice handy metric conversion chart to work with. :)

It was more the spelling thing - I, too, think more in inches, feet and yards rather than metres even though I grew up entirely during the metric era. Anyway, you're still very welcome!

Cheers,

Mark

Hi

welcome fellow 'wrong side of the ponder '

There is a previous thread on the board that discusses the trailing edge of the brigand, seems the valom kit might need a slight mod.

The search feature should find it I think it was the one on the hallam vac brigand.

cheers

Jerry

Thanks for the welcome Jerry! I'll try to search for the thread you mention.

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for directing me to your build. That is an excellent looking model. I hope my kit can look half as good when I build it.

What was the paint scheme for that build? In particular, what were the colors you used for the upper (lighter) and the lower (darker) colors? I don't have the B.1 directions so the only scheme I have access to is the trainer.

Hello

Upper colour is Medium Sea Grey and lower Night Black. Both of them are from the Xtracolor range.

Decals came from the Freghtdog Models decal sheet "Brits abroad Part 2" no longer available I think.

Patrick

Hello

Upper colour is Medium Sea Grey and lower Night Black. Both of them are from the Xtracolor range.

Decals came from the Freghtdog Models decal sheet "Brits abroad Part 2" no longer available I think.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick. I ordered Brits Abroad Pt III from Freightdog which has markings for a Brigand B. Mk. 1 in a similar scheme.