The Thousand Mile War - Amchitka, Spring 1943

I'm on holiday from the Aleutians for a while. Bye for now.

Sorry to hear that Don. I joined the party quite late but have thoroughly enjoyed watching and reading about your progress, as well as picking up some useful tips. What now, more bonfire night exploits? Look forward to seeing your next model soon. :)

Forgive me for not quite catching on Don but are you not going to finish this one?

You better not stop doing daft, aside from your direct input on my threads I get a lot of ideas and tips from your builds.

Si.

Completely u'stand and concur, Don. If the hobby isn't giving the pleasure it once did, then take a break. So many of us have done

exactly what you're doing and in my case, I felt a lot better for it and came back eighteen months later fully refereshed and enthused.

Personally I'll miss your (on-line) company and look forward to your return.

Best

Ian

Well Don!!...I do know how you feel and I know how it can take over your life so to speak.When I lived in the UK 5 years ago I did make model aircraft...have done all my life and loved every second of it.When I decided to move abroad to live I took early retirement at the age of 50 ...now I had time to really put some hours of modelling in...which I did and still do. I had a friend living here in Bulgaria who was also a model maker and he sugested I join a model forum to share my work and to make "virtual" friends who have a passion for modelling as I do........well I did ...I joined LSP ,BModellers,ARC,The Great War in the air ,the Drome,The unofficil Airfix model forum,Fine Scale and Scale Modellers BG.....absolutly crazy :o The obsession had taken its hold!...I found that I just didn't have time to model any more!!!! :huh:

Not only did I join all of those forums but I was also doing WIP on many of them......can you imagine the hours spent just doing a quick update on your model to lots of different forums?...what with the posting of pics etc?....and trying to write something different on each forum?......christ it was so difficult to remember all the passwords for the forums that I had to write them all down on a card which I pinned beside the computer :huh:

I have now cut down to just 3 forums BM,LSP and The great war in the air !!!....

I would never give up on Brit Modeller because I love the great attitude and Humour and its people like you Don who make me sign in every day just to see what else you are going to waffle on about!! ;) ....so you will be sorely missed my friend.....but I do understand why you are leaving us.....

Bugger ....this means my viewing stats will go down! :rolleyes:

Don I will be very sad to see you missing :( (know what I mean don't you) but I had the same thing thirty years or so ago.

I ditched nigh on everything, works in progress (you will never know how good I was making Matchbox's Chinook look, no-one will) even the finished scratch built Shorts C23A Sherpa that I'd slaved over into the night for weeks. Now I wish I'd kept them, but the need was great to withdraw...

It all went in the bin, just a few tools left, trusty Swann Morton brassie modelling knife and some pin vices basically.

I had the entire start up range of Tamiya paints in a drawer I forgot about though.

A casual encounter on Pistonheads got me interested again, so I came back.

Boy it's so very different these days with communities like this all across the world by interweb.

I have enjoyed your (sometimes) inconsequential bits and pieces and your valuable lore and photos of my favourite aircraft, Walter Wessex.

So take the time out that you need, bugger it, spending more time in the village pub has to be a win-win situation.

And remember that here you have friends that will stand for you and by you if we are ever needed.

(Thirty years, it can be done mate, ENJOY your time off for sane behaviour)

Well Don, I can't say that I won't miss you. Your contribution to these WIPs has been excellent and I for one have enjoyed every moment of your posts from deciding to do the diorama to deciding to leave. I don't blame you for your decision, I can actually relate having somewhat of an addictive personality myself (although not quite to the extent you have), and I wish you the very best on whatever path you choose for yourself, and should you come back to these fourums I'm sure I won't be the only one welcoming you back with open arms as your contribution to these group builds (especially goading Si in his), has made for some fascinating reading and I'm sure we've all learned quite a lot from observing the two of you trying to outdo each other in terms of fiddlyness.

Fare well, Don

Al

You have my utmost respect for the way you've been open and explained exactly what's been going on with your modelling addiction. Making such admissions, and in a public forum to boot, takes a heck of a lot of courage.

I can only go on to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed reading through your threads (I particularly enjoyed your firework shenanigans!), and good luck with all your future endeavours...

Hi Don, don't know if you're reading this, but I went through a similar catharsis a year ago.

My advice to you is this:

Delete ALL links to Britmodeller from your browser

Block access to the site on your browser

Pack all your modelling stuff in a box and hide it in a dark corner of your shed or garage

Pick up the phone and call a few people when you get the urge to go online

Get outside add much as possible

It won't take long to get out of that rut you feel you're in

Farewell, and the best of luck.

Al

You probably won't read this mate, but it would appear that there are a few of us who understand where you are at.

I just hope that another hobby will not replace this one, only to cause you the same problems in two years time. I know I have jumped from hobby

to hobby and always getting excessive with them.

Any way, live long a prosper. :cheers:

Deacon

• 1 month later...

HI Don, I'm glad that you're still around and it's good that you've spotted what's happening. I wish you all the best with your treatment and I'm sure a lot of the other folks on here do too.

I hope you're well again soon.

Chris

it is good that you are still around

I rather think I will be looking for info at times whilst I finish my Wessucks

:(

I like the F-106 concept

mad as buggery, "plane onna stick" well done

bill

Interesting thread. What makes me wonder, does exist list of planes taking part on Aleutian islands? There's one well known photo of some warhawks (Aleut. tigers), in front, back to photographer is P-40N with red bordered star insignia, unfortunately, unreadable S/N...

Glad your back Don and realise your problems...I'm sure your get your self together soon mate!...depression is a horrible thing!...some of my family suffer from it...but you know you will be able to get on top of it after a time!

Welcome back mate :)