Connie Prototype Colours Help Wanted.

paul178

As I can't get the MATS decals for my heller C121A I thought about plan B.

Modelling the prototype NX25600. seems removing the astrodome and deicing equipment is the major mod.

The things I am not clear about are the colours.

This is the only pic I can find.

http://www.zoggavia.com/c_n_1961.html

I am presuming olive drab for upper surfaces and it looks like a kharki tip to the nose?

What do you recon to the undersides,also props and spinners look black with yellow tips?

I would like to build it with flaps down what do you think aluminium for them?

So any help on the above would be great.

Thanks Paul

You are correct for the colors, BUT the original Constellation had the USAAF designation C-69, the C-121 was a different airframe due to lengthening the fuselage approximately 11 feet

C-121 length 116ft

C-69 length 95 ft

Think you'll find C-121A was same length as the civvie L-749 - 95'2"

<wanders off to dig out some photo's of prototype>

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Not sure where you got those figures from, but the prototype, all production C-69s, and all civilian Connies up through the L-749 had the exact same fuselage length. The only difference would be those C-121s that were retrofitted with weather radar in the 1950s. The C-69s on the assembly line at the end of the war were completed as L-049s for the airlines.

The war-era C-69s were standard USAAF Olive Drab over Neutral Gray. The entire exterior surfaces of the flaps would have been painted, no bare metal showing anywhere. The nose was likely just a raw fibreglass color (off white/tan) for the beam approach system antennas.

Note that the Heller kit is an L-749 (mostly), which has completely different engine nacelles from the 049. I believe Ha-Hen Models makes (or made) an 049 conversion set. I know someone did at one point. The props in Heller kit are comically huge. Early Connies had very slim prop blades.

J

You are correct for the colors, BUT the original Constellation had the USAAF designation C-69, the C-121 was a different airframe due to lengthening the fuselage approximately 11 feet

C-121 length 116ft

C-69 length 95 ft

Thanks Chuck a rapid measure of a fusalage half and conversion from metric to imperial measurements gives me 95 feet. So I am still good to go with this. FYO it is the short nosed Connie with the Heller box saying "C-121A Constellation 'Berlin' kit no 80382 So I think C69 it is despite the box description.

Thank you for your help with the colours also.

Any further help with this mod will be greatfully recieved as I am flying blind with this one!

Best Wishes

Paul

my error, I thought the C-121 was based on the L1049 which had a fuselage length of 116 feet.

And you wouldn't be wrong - but the 'A' model had the shorter fuse :)

Keep them coming though I am really up for this conversion

Paul

Good man Paul - one of histories most beautiful aeroplanes IMHO :)

Have quite a bit of stuff on the Connie (it's a bit of an obsession ;) as I'm building one in 1:32 - see link below) - will see what I can dig out.

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

my error, I thought the C-121 was based on the L1049 which had a fuselage length of 116 feet.

It depends what kind of C-121 you're talking about. Some were short fuselage birds and some were long fuselage birds. The C-69 designation wasn't used post-war (for some reason). It got changed to C-121A when the USAF bought some L-749s in the late 1940s. They just added letters, not bothering to change the "121" designation when Lockheed started building 1049s.

:)

Edited by Jennings Heilig