This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

DaveJL

1/48 Airfix Buccaneer, Op Granby 1991

It's definitely looking like a Buccaneer now! Well done.

Thanks Don, glad you like it.

Dave

Bit more done today, and everything is finally coming good! Added the landing gear doors, pylons and attached the dodgy home made FOD guards:

DSC01129.jpg

Highlighted all the panel lines with a very, very, very sharp pencil:

DSC01130.jpg

Added the wonderfully weird airbrake (was a bit of a bugger to get sitting right):

DSC01131.jpg

And an overall look at the beast as of 17.50 today:

DSC01132.jpg

Tomorrow i will focus on weathering and if things go well, i'll slap on the decals. I've decided to go for 'Caroline, Hello Sailor' which dropped seven bombs and also destroyed an AN-12 on the ground:

hello_sailor_5.jpg

Not a bad looking lass ;)

More to follow.

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

More done this morning. Working like a man possessed to get it finished, and it looks like that will be today!

First thing this morning the decals went on:

DSC01134.jpg

DSC01133.jpg

Note in the second image the grab handles on the FOD guards. These were found in the spares box. (still need to be painted)

Then cracked on with the weathering.

Upper surfaces:

DSC01135.jpg

Lower surfaces:

DSC01136.jpg

And the fairly heavy soot/dirt found aft of the exhausts:

DSC01137.jpg

DSC01138.jpg

Taking a break at the minute but will crack on soon. Just the ordnance to be attached, seats, canopy and a few other odds and sods.

Sorry about the pictures, my camera isn't the best at 'close ups'!

Another update later this afternoon.

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

Nice work Dave, nearly there!

Thanks very much. Be sure to check back later on!

Well this seemed to absolutely fly together in the closing stages. So i'm calling it DONE!! :partytime:

If you have followed the progress of the build, you will know that it's been a struggle and admittedly, i was nearly throwing it out the window once or twice. All things considered, it didn't turn out bad, not great, but not bad. But i can safely say i won't be building another!

Thanks to all who followed. Pictures are in the RFI thread: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=76108

Cheers

Dave

Well done! Ten marks for persistence in the face of adversity. That's your Gulf trio done, what's next then?

Cheers Don. Have an F-14A in the 'work in progress' thread. Usually build two at a time so who knows! Maybe an Apache, we'll see!

Looking very nice mate. I'm a bit green with envy.

Thanks very much. No need to be envious, i'm sure someone with greater modelling skills could do a much better job!

Dave

I've only had one experience worse that this Buccaneer horror. Remember the Airfix 1:72 Concord. It was huge and 40% filler by the time it was sort of together. I sanded it down in the shower using wet'n'dry paper in half sheets. Plastic and filler swirled down the plughole like the blood in Hitchcock's Psycho.

Keep at it Dave. You are in blood stepped in so far that should you wade no more, returning were as tedious as go o’er.

What a beautifully described image :lol:

I agree with Don - keep at it, it'll look great when it's finished. And consider: if it had been a recent Tamigawa kit it would have cost you 50-odd quid and the cockpit would still need detailing.

Andy

Only £50-odd? I'd say double that!

Good to see another 48th Bucc finished Dave. A real labour of love, or was it hate and determination, from you there. Can recall seeing them tearing over my house in the desert pink about a week before it was announced they were heading out. The image of one mixing it at ulra low level with an F-16 is one I'll never forget. From what I could see the F-16 was getting a hard time of it :D

Only £50-odd? I'd say double that!

Of course, by the time they got around to it the inhabitants of hell would be wearing duffel coats and I still wouldn't be able to afford one.

Well done Dave - a nice addition to a great lineup. You know what they say, practice makes perfect; I reckon if you do another two, maybe three, you'll have it down pat. What do you say? :winkgrin:

Andy

Of course, by the time they got around to it the inhabitants of hell would be wearing duffel coats and I still wouldn't be able to afford one.

Well done Dave - a nice addition to a great lineup. You know what they say, practice makes perfect; I reckon if you do another two, maybe three, you'll have it down pat. What do you say? :winkgrin:

Andy

I like you're way of thinking but doubt i'll be making another one for quite some time!

I like you're way of thinking but doubt i'll be making another one for quite some time!

I can't explain this but I have a strange urge to try again - third time - to build one of these. Time to lie down in a darkened room and take pils until the feeling goes away.

I can't explain this but I have a strange urge to try again - third time - to build one of these. Time to lie down in a darkened room and take pils until the feeling goes away.

I've looked at your builds Don and i'm amazed that you have been beaten by it! If i can do it, you most certainly can! I'm a terrible modeler compared to some on here!

Dave

Do you ever Sleep?

Nice work

Dave

it is a Monster but it can be beaten, both this and the Airfix Tornado, are best if you start at the nose, and tack back along both side with super glue don't do one side, do both side working back evenly at the same time.

I did both of mine over ten years ago, sadly the RAF one got damaged, but I have a few more to do very soon

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1409/6773...4/215838152.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1409/6773...4/215838156.jpg

Dave

Edited by zero

Dave

Do you ever Sleep?

Nice work

Dave

it is a Monster but it can be beaten, both this and the Airfix Tornado, are best if you start at the nose, and tack back along both side with super glue don't do one side, do both side working back evenly at the same time.

I did both of mine over ten years ago, sadly the RAF one got damaged, but I have a few more to do very soon

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1409/6773...4/215838152.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1409/6773...4/215838156.jpg

Dave

Absolutely! But i do tend to work fast, another sign that i'm not the greatest of modelers!