This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

DaveJL

1/48 Airfix Buccaneer, Op Granby 1991

Hello all,

Well i just joined this group build and plan to enter my 1/48 Buccaneer in Op Granby guise.

The kit:

DSC00860.jpg

The bits and pieces.

DSC00861.jpg

Will add an AMRAAM line Paveway ll also. Not sure which scheme it will be done in, but i'm heading toward 'Miss Jolly Roger'

No idea when i'll get this started as i've another Tornado for that GB and 2 F-14's on the go at the moment!

More to follow.

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

Good luck, and I can't wait to see progress :D

Thanks Tom. Will be a while before it's started!

Let me know what the various pitfalls are, I have one in the stash for conversion to an S.1 :D

Let me know what the various pitfalls are, I have one in the stash for conversion to an S.1 :D

I'll try my best!

Made a start on this earlier and boy did i get a lot done!

The lovely instruction manual, quite impressed by this.

DSC00978.jpg

The cockpit with the Airwaves etched attached. Took about 30 minutes to get each piece sitting right.

DSC00979.jpg

And painted

DSC00986.jpg

With the Pavla ejection seats in to test the fit

DSC00984.jpg

And the seats with the kits ejection handles attached

DSC00988.jpg

I heard horror stories about how the sides of the fueslage could cave in so attached plastic tube to ensure this wouldn't happen.

DSC00980.jpg

DSC00981.jpg

Added some detail to the gear wells with copper wire

DSC00987.jpg

The airbrake with the airwaves detail parts

DSC00989.jpg

The intakes. Plan to cover these with FOD guards. Think i'm right in saying these were 'hard' covers as opposed to the canvas ones used on the Tornado and Jaguar.

DSC00990.jpg

Underwing stores.

DSC00983.jpg

After all this, it was time to attach the fuselage halves and what a bloody task it was! The front went together fine (or so i thought) but the rest would not sit. Seems as though the upper parts have been moulded literally upwards and so a good bit of force is needed to get the halves to meet. When i thought one side was done, the other popped loose :angrysoapbox.sml: This continued for about 20 minutes until i got a relatively good fit. Was an absolute F****r!!

DSC00995.jpg

DSC00996.jpg

DSC00997.jpg

DSC00999.jpg

There is going to be a lot of work needed to remove those steps, particularly aft of the engine bays.

More to follow.

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

Well done so far. I've had two attempts at the Airfix Bucc and succeeded only in filling up my spares box!

Thanks. The detail is rather nice but the fit of that fuselage is the worst i think i've ever come across! Absolute bugger.

That's looking great Dave. :goodjob:

I hope the fuselage doesn't give you too much of a problem.

Looking forward to the next update.

Deacon

That's looking great Dave. :goodjob:

I hope the fuselage doesn't give you too much of a problem.

Looking forward to the next update.

Deacon

So do I!! luckily there's not a lot in the way of panel lines around the worst area so the filling and sanding shouldn't affect it too much. Dreading it though!

Dave

More progress as of this afternoon. Removed all the masking tape to see what state the fuselage joins were in. After studying them and proceeding to swear outwardly for a few minutes, i took the bull by the horns and trimmed the major parts of the steps created between the joins. Safe to say that there was no part that lined up nicely. Proceeded to slap filler on the joints.

DSC01021.jpg

DSC01019.jpg

DSC01020.jpg

Note that the vertical stabiliser and intakes have been attached. And guess what? Yes that's right, more bloody filler!! :angrysoapbox.sml:

Decided to have a go at attaching the wings next. Instantly regretted that decision. the fit is, quite simply, horrific. There is a huge gap between the parts attached to the fuselage and the separate parts, with the joint at the wing fold pivot being a bugger.

Lovely gap

DSC01014.jpg

Another step and huge gap on the underside join:

DSC01016.jpg

After all this buggery, i decided to do something easy and cut out the FOD guards from plastic sheet. Nothing complicated here, just drew around the outlines of the intakes and cut them out.

DSC01012.jpg

DSC01017.jpg

Should do the job nicely. Safe to say these won't need any filler!

This is how she looks as of this afternoon:

DSC01018.jpg

Going to leave overnight to let those wings set. Think this kit is going to push me to the limit! Going to take a lot of work to get it looking even half decent. Here's hoping!

More to follow.

Dave

Your pictures remind me of the awful sights I saw on my attempts at this horrible kit. I even made the FOD guards the same way! You have my sympathy, Dave.

Thanks Don. It's a complete bugger. Making the FOD guards cheered me up as no bloody filler was needed! Going to be a lot of work needed.

The 1/72 one is sitting on the corner of my bench taunting me. It is more filler than plastic and I just can't summon up the enthusiasm to sort it out. Well done on your progress though - you seem to have beaten it into submission thus far!

The 1/72 one is sitting on the corner of my bench taunting me. It is more filler than plastic and I just can't summon up the enthusiasm to sort it out. Well done on your progress though - you seem to have beaten it into submission thus far!

Don't let it beat you! It's a lovely jet, but easily the worst kit I have made to date. But i won't give up!

The Bucc was sitting laughing at me at the side of the workbench so i attempted some more. Took the pegs off the wings to see how they had set. This was the result:

DSC01023.jpg

DSC01025.jpg

Lovely gaps and they were sagging very badly. Absolute bugger :angry:

So a new approach was needed. I used the non necessary parts of the wing fold mechanism as spars to give the wing something to rest on and hopefully prevent the sagging.

DSC01026.jpg

A bit of fiddling and the wings went on.

DSC01028.jpg

But wait...

DSC01029.jpg

DSC01030.jpg

Are those rather large gaps i see?? I think so.......F***

So after another few minutes of cursing the kit, i decided that the best way to fill these gaps was to lather them (literally) in superglue to ensure the wing joint was strong firstly, but also to give me a base on which to mount strips of styrene which will inevitably be needed to seal these gaps.

One other thing. Dry fitted the exhausts to check the fit....

DSC01027.jpg

....oh dear.

More to follow.

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

This is so awful to watch. It's like seeing a litter of puppies crossing the motorway. Dave, for the sake of your sanity, burn it and buy something from Tamiya!

I'll defeat it eventually! No idea how it will turn out. More blood, sweat and tears to follow!

This is so awful to watch. It's like seeing a litter of puppies crossing the motorway. Dave, for the sake of your sanity, burn it and buy something from Tamiya!

Don't think Tamiya make a Buccaneer. So if you must have a model of this curvaceous bomber in 1/48 scale there is no choice. I've built one and I can make a pig's ear of anything, so I reckon it's worth persevering.

More dire news today. Wings are still sagging, so another lathering of superglue was needed. Added strips of styrene to beef up the joints and smothered them in squadron green.

DSC01033.jpg

The gaps on the joint where the flaps meet was horrific, about 3mm in places.

DSC01035.jpg

DSC01034.jpg

Also had to shave off about 2mm of plastic to get the exhausts to fit. A smothering of putty was also needed. (no point in me saying this anymore as it's the norm!)

DSC01037.jpg

DSC01036.jpg

Thankfully, the putty is a lovely tone of green and not that toxic! The only good things about this build so far!!

Also like to note there was no cursing at the kit today :whistle:

More to follow.

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

This kit is well known as a pig, but it's only 48th Bucc :confused: This will make you a better modeller, persevere and you will be rewarded with what I have no doubt will be a wonderful model :)

This kit is well known as a pig, but it's only 48th Bucc :confused: This will make you a better modeller, persevere and you will be rewarded with what I have no doubt will be a wonderful model :)

Hopefully it will look ok if it doesn't find itself launched out the window! I never quit on kits, so she will be completed!

If your other builds are anything to go by, this should be a corker :)

Don't think this one will be too good if i'm honest!

Cracked on with this today, and what a task it was! Sanded off the initial filler then added another layer.

DSC01040.jpg

DSC01041.jpg

DSC01044.jpg

DSC01042.jpg

And another...

DSC01046.jpg

DSC01048.jpg

As i was doing this, the rear fuselage decided to split apart! :angrysoapbox.sml: So glue and tape was required. Once dry, the area was filled and sanded yet again. Decided to attach the refuelling probe and airbrake housing.

DSC01045.jpg

DSC01047.jpg

Note in the first image the filled areas on the forward fuselage have been tidied up considerably.

More horror stories to follow.

Dave