Group Build Chat

Erwin, have you thought of spraying them. It's easier than you might think. Have a look at this:

/quote]

Hi,

I paint by brush.It's not that easy to have a perfect finish compared to spraying.

I don't know how you brush painters do it! (And painting by hand must be even more difficult! lol.)

When I brush paint I either leave prominent brush-marks of put the paint on so thick that it obscures

the best of the surface engraving. Even small areas like cockpit floors are tricky for me and so I usually

reach for the airbrush simply because it's easier.

Gentlemen of the brush, I salute you.

• 2 weeks later...

Well now, i was thinking of building a P39Q but ime not sure if this particular aircraft flew in the pacific its, no42-19995, 71st TRS, 82 TRG 1944 which to me means nothing! :wacko: , any thoughs anyone?

Gruffers(the not so bright)

Well now, i was thinking of building a P39Q but ime not sure if this particular aircraft flew in the pacific its, no42-19995, 71st TRS, 82 TRG 1944 which to me means nothing! :wacko: , any thoughs anyone?

Gruffers(the not so bright)

It think it did fly in the Pacific: http://www.pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/p-39/42-19995.html :)

Thanks jazzy, if its ok i will have a go, first posts will most likely be early next week.

Gruffers

Edited by grufsnik

Hi all,

as a member of the Pacific War GB i dont know how i could change my topic title !!!

could anyone help me please !!

Cheers Peter

Go to the first post that you made and click on 'Edit' (at the bottom right). Select 'Full Edit'. Change the title, sub-title, and text as you wish. You have the option to edit all the posts you make on BM, even replies on other people's threads.

I've decided I'd like to join the fun and plan to build a Spitfire Mk VIII of 152 Sqn of 3rd Tactical Airforce which flew in the Battle of Imphal in 1944. I've ordered the ICM Spitfire MK VIII and some Barracuda decals.

My father served in the RAF during the war as an electrician in the ground crew and he was stationed in India at some point during the the war. He was awarded the Burma star so its quite possible this was the sort of thing he was involved in. Sadly he died in 1979 so I wasn't able to ask him important details but I do remember when I was a nipper asking him to show me on the globe all the places he'd been to and I do distinctly remember him talking about Imphal and also mentioning the supposedly wettest place in the world, a town called Cherrapunji which he said he was stationed at for a while.

I remember him telling me he worked on Hurricanes and Spits. He said that Spits were easy to work on but Hurries were so difficult to maintain. He told a story about how he'd have to hand upside down with someone holding his legs to reach things on a Hurri!

I'm in the process of trying to obtain his service records from the MoD, because that should tell me where he was and which squadrons he was attached to, so I have it in mind that it would be really rather nice to have a model of every type of plane he worked on during his time in the RAF. He moved about a lot, I know he as also in Egypt and Italy at various points as well. In fact he had 5 campaign stars, which was quite unusual to have been involved in so many places!

My thinking for this model was to try to build it in the process of take off, with the landing gear partly retracted. That would make it a bit more unusual and will also allow me to build a bit of the airstrip, which means I can indulge myself with another diorama :)

Edited by Kallisti

• 2 weeks later...

I'll Join in the fun if I may?

Going to Build a VF-16 F6F-3 Hellcat from USS Lexington December 1943.

I'll get a build thread up and running now.

Regards

Tim.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, doesn't time fly when you're having fun - the Group Build finishes tomorrow!

I haven't been around as much as I would like - emigrating to a tropical Island has taken all my time and prevents me from modelling, but I've been following the builds when I can, and how fantastic they all are. :)

Time difference means I will close the GB for completed entries at 9am Sri Lanka time (3.30am UK time) on Sunday Morning and aim to get the polls up straight away.

Regards,

Jason

It's been great fun. Yet I must add, I'm glad it's over! As some projects finished and others were apparently abandoned, the frequency of posts dropped off and my spirits flagged a little. I guess knowing that I couldn't possibly finish by the deadline was also something of a downer. I'm looking forward to doing something else for a little while and then returning to my dio (in WIP) with new enthusiasm in the New Year.

I'm not looking forward to voting. There have been so many excellent entries that making a final decision is going to be very difficult. I have become interested in judging since Telford, suddenly, I'm realising how difficult it cam be! Good luck to all of us!