Hobbyboss 1/72 BF-109 E-4/7 (I think G-2/4, but box says otherwise)

Hi all,

The latest off the line. A little 109 to get a quick fix between my SU-24 and a F-18. Kit is Hobbyboss' easy kit 109 E-4/7 but, it looks like a G-2/4 kit. What do you all think?

Was just a stop gap between builds, canopy fit was atrocious even after filling sanding and scrubbing away. No extras, decals went on a treat with MicroSet/Sol and a quick brush of Humbrol Matt Varnish. I normally would spray it on from a can, but it ran out, and I had a small amount left in a pot so brushed on. Still, I am happy with it so good enough for the shelf.

Anyway, done OOB as White 4 from JG-27, 1943. As in the thread in the WW2 Discussion section, some debate on this. JG-27 in 1943 were operating from Sicily, nothing came up in a search for White 4 however a search on Yellow 4 turned up results. Yellow 4 also matched the same camoflage as the kit instructions, while searches for White 4 turned up JG-27 White numbered aircraft in overall sand with green blotches over light blue, Yellow 4 being Tan uppers and light blue undersides, coming halfway up the fuselage like how she's painted here.

Anyway I have a feeling Hobbyboss have got a little confused, kit is supposed to be an E but is a G and White 4 should be Yellow 4 on a G-2, which is Hauptmann Gustav Rodel's plane, he survived the war with 98 kills, some unconfirmed but a well decorated pilot. He originally flew as wingman for Adolf Galland at the outbreak of war in 1939/1940. Anyway this aircraft is supposed to depict his, in fact it does, except the White 4's should be Yellow, other than that, Triple Chevron Yellow 4 of JG-27, Sicily 1943 is represented here (with White 4 :()

On to the pictures:

DSC00072-2.jpg

DSC00073-2.jpg

DSC00071-2.jpg

DSC00070-1.jpg

DSC00075-1.jpg

DSC00074-1.jpg

Hope you like despite the small technical inaccuracies. At some point I will try and mask off the White 4's and overpaint them Yellow, until then I will just have to live with it. If, and when I get it done, I will post new pictures in place of these here.

All the best,

Dan.

Hi Dan,

I am no expert on various differences on 109 versions but this looks good to me. Great scheme. Nice one.

Cheers.

Rob

getsmileyCA01OWOH.gifGood Job! as already noted the "technical Difficulty's" aside its a good looking model.

As I too am not a 109 expert, I think it looks the part.

Flag_greeting.gif

Hobbyboss' easy kit 109 E-4/7 but, it looks like a G-2/4 kit. What do you all think?

I'm no Bf109 expert but the reason it doesn't looks like a Bf109E is probably because it ISN'T a Bf109E! It's an early G with no cannon bulges or equally likely it's an F.

You need to go back to your JG27 references and see what they actually used. There is no substitute for good references!

I'd say either you have got yourself somewhat confused or the HB kit came wrongly packed in the Bf109E box. They make a G-6 early with cannon bulges, a G-10 (ditto) and a G-2/G-4 kit.

It's a nice build anyway and looks attractive in that scheme!

Edit - The markings are Bf 109G-4/Trop 'White Triple Chevron 4', flown by Hauptmann Gustav Rodel, Gruppenkommandeur Il./JG 27, April 1943. Google is your friend!

Edited by Ed Russell

I'm no Bf109 expert but the reason it doesn't looks like a Bf109E is probably because it ISN'T a Bf109E! It's an early G with no cannon bulges or equally likely it's an F.

You need to go back to your JG27 references and see what they actually used. There is no substitute for good references!

I'd say either you have got yourself somewhat confused or the HB kit came wrongly packed in the Bf109E box. They make a G-6 early with cannon bulges, a G-10 (ditto) and a G-2/G-4 kit.

It's a nice build anyway and looks attractive in that scheme!

Edit - The markings are Bf 109G-4/Trop 'White Triple Chevron 4', flown by Hauptmann Gustav Rodel, Gruppenkommandeur Il./JG 27, April 1943. Google is your friend!

I have both HB Emil and this G-4 kit, slightly confused myself by having them both out at once but yes JG-27 in 1943 were flying G-4's but Gustav Rodel's was Yellow 4 not White 4, as depicted in the kit. The scheme is very unusual and I really like it so I will source some Yellow 4's and get them on or if worst comes to it will over paint them. Anyway maybe I put the lids on wrong and the E got the G lid and the G got the E lid, but this one is definately a G.

Cheers,

Dan.

well it loks like a F fuselage but with G style wings, NOT and Emil by any means. Good looking model, may i make a very small suggestion, it looks like you masked using masking tape the white band round the fuselage, when you remove the masking you will have some raised edges, get some very very fine wet and dry sandpaper, and just gently run it over the raised areas. Will give a far more uniform look. Other then that great looking model.

Gustav Rodel's was Yellow 4 not White 4, as depicted in the kit.

I believe there are several photos of this aircraft around of which I can find three. I am looking at a good picture of the starboard side on page 248 in Luftwaffe Camouflage and Markings 1933-1945, Vol 2, K.A. Merrick and it sure looks like the 4 and the chevrons are all white to me. A picture of the port side in Osprey Aviation Elite Units 12, Jagdgeschwader 27 'Afrika', John Weal, Page 89 is of poorer quality but again, it looks like all the elements are the same colour. There is a similar photo to the first mentioned of the starboard side on page 153 in 'Aircraft of the Luftwaffe Aces I, Bernd Barbas, Schiffer but not quite as good quality. The eye of faith will let the 4 be white or whatever colour you choose on this photo! On the whole I would say that Hobbyboss are not obviously wrong here. Some of their reseach is a bit sloppy, especially on earlier kits, but whoever did the artwork for this tried a bit harder.

Others may know better or have a colour photo.

Edit - This is NOT what I mean by a colour photo

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5906853

It is a rebuilt Buchon in what someone believes the colours were. Similarly I am not aware of a picture showing the emblem on the cowling.

Edited by Ed Russell

Looks like a G2 to me, small intakes on engine cowl for cooling spark plugs so not an F. No bulges on wing for larger wheels so probably not a G4 (although some early G4's didn't have them either). Strange that it should have a short radio mast and DF loop though, those features were usually seen on much later G's.

Nice colour scheme.

Edited by Duncan B