Vickers Valiant

The Vickers Valiant was the first of the V-bombers to enter service with the RAF, and therefore was heavily involved with the testing of nuclear weapons. No. 49 Squadron was formed at RAF Wittering on 1st May 1956 and stayed for five years, departing on 26th June 1961. During that time the squadron was involved in tests such as those for the hydrogen bombs in Operation “Grapple”, Christmas Island, 19th June 1957. On 19th June, a third test was made using XD823. The aircraft were returned to normal standard configurations upon return to the UK.

397553818.jpg

397553805.jpg

397553807.jpg

397553806.jpg

397553808.jpg

397553809.jpg

That looks awesome, oh i cant wait till i get myself one. :frantic:

A lovely build Ratch of what looks like a very well engineered Airfix product - long may they continue at this quality!

My only slight reservation is the degree of weathering on your build which looks in my eyes a bit overdone for 1/72 scale.

Thanks for bring first up with a Valiant build.

Mark

Looks great! :jealous: Can't wait for mine to arrive! :frantic: I'll have though as I don't get paid until Friday. Woe betide my employer if they have missed my overtime off this month. :bangin:

Martin

Hey, I've seen this plane in an old movie yesterday !

You have made a wonderfull airplane.

I would have given the plane just 1 or 2 more white coats, however I think you made a real beauty.

Nice work !!

That's a magnificent looking beast. I have long held the dream of building and displaying all the V force side by side - ain't got the space however!

Go on, you know you want to :devil:

That's a very nice model. I thought they were painted white for Operation Grapple though.

They were, and they carried the additional fuel tanks, but I've modelled her on a picture I have of her at Wittering :wicked:

the tanks were used for the ferry flight from Wittering to Christmas island but the actual drops were done without tanks.. Im still trying to sort out that tail mod, as I have pics of the 4 aircraft on Grapple with both the cut off tails and the normal ones. Im wondering if the camera tail was a quick fit part for the aircraft actually dropping the device?..more news as and when I find out

Steve

That's a magnificent looking beast. I have long held the dream of building and displaying all the V force side by side - ain't got the space however!

surely you could hang them in flying formation.

wow at last i see its out, well thats it my checks have cleared im off on the hunt around my local model shops and see if i can find one, i want to do the valiant in white with the black grey nose section. cant wait. nice finish on the beast.

the thing i love about the v bombers in white is they look beautiful but there brutal.

wow at last i see its out, well thats it my checks have cleared im off on the hunt around my local model shops and see if i can find one, i want to do the valiant in white with the black grey nose section. cant wait. nice finish on the beast.

the thing i love about the v bombers in white is they look beautiful but there brutal.