Handley Page Halifax

Deacon

This is the 1:72 Revell boxing.

I have been waiting for an excuse to start my Brit WW2 heavy bombers and this GB is just the ticket.

IMG_8846.jpg

Cheers

Deacon

It is the old Matchbox kit, and benefits from fairly major surgery to the nose, engines, propellors and undercarriage. The Falcon transparency set will detail the nose, and Aeroclub did some replacement parts.

Revell have announced a new Halifax for later this year. Supposedly it will be tooled to permit Merlin or Hercules versions, though not in the same issue.

It is the old Matchbox kit, and benefits from fairly major surgery to the nose, engines, propellors and undercarriage. The Falcon transparency set will detail the nose, and Aeroclub did some replacement parts.

Revell have announced a new Halifax for later this year. Supposedly it will be tooled to permit Merlin or Hercules versions, though not in the same issue.

Thanks Graham - one (or two) to look out for! Maybe they will do a Lancaster Mk II one day!!!!!!!

Sorry to Deacon if this is hijacking your thread. Big brit heavies get me carried away.

Edited by per ardua ad ostentationem

Thanks for the interest guys.

I didn't realise that there was so mich work needed to bring this kit into shape. :o This will be built out of the box, so nothing special from me, just a trip down memory lane. :)

Deacon

I'm now thinking I might spend a bit on this build to get it closer to being right.

Pavla do a nose section and interior and I know White Ensign do a brass interior (although it doesn't fit a Revell Halifax).

I have already got the Falcon canopies, but just wondered what else was out there, especially with Areoclub no longer available.

Cheers

Deacon

The Pavla nose section does not correct the errors in shape - no asymmetry for the cockpit, for example. Presumably it is possible to rework this to follow the Falcon corrections and retain the new interiors?

I didn't know the WEM interiors wouldn't fit and am rather surprised by that.

What (I think) you must do is sharpen the radiator intake openings, and get them the right shape for the version you want to do. The props are too thick and too wide. The main undercarriage legs are anorexic (box them in with plasticard). All the auxiliary intakes and exhausts are just blobs. The front turret needs a wider squarer back (I saw a beautiful photo demonstrating this yesterday but where was it.....?)

Ideally, I'd try to get hold of the Aerodata (Alfred Grainger) plans which are superb.

Hi Deacon, sounds like you've got your work cut out with this one :popcorn:

All this and a B-1B too? A glutton for punishment!

Cheers

Cliff

Hi Deacon, sounds like you've got your work cut out with this one :popcorn:

All this and a B-1B too? A glutton for punishment!

Cheers

Cliff

I must admit Cliff the more I'm told what corrections are required, the more I am inclined to just build OOB.

I'm quite a lazy modeller and so long as someone can look into my cabinet and recognise a kit as the a/c it is intended to be, I'm happy.

I have tried correcting kits in the past and find I haven't got the skills to do them, or I get impatient and lose interest in the project. Simple things like replacement props,

resin nacelles pasted onto the kit, or possibly vac-formed canopies is about as much as I can do.

What has been helpful from Graham is that he has highlighted the faults and prevented me from wasting money on after-market stuff that won't actually work.

So, we shall see how this progresses, but as I have said, it will probably be nothing special.

Deacon

The choice is always yours - I've seen some Halifaxes made superbly OOB. If you are particularly fond of the subject then a guide to the shortcomings of a particular kit is a help, but if not then it doesn't matter. I'm sure it would annoy me no end to make a model and find out afterwards that some fairly straightforward alterations would have made it more accurate, but not everyone feels that way.

You don't say which version you are making - the later nose is more acceptable in shape anyway and a bit of Milliput in front of the pilot can fake the asymmetry. It doesn't make it quite right but does get the idea across. Or use the Falcon part, of course, which I'd forgotten you had......

OK guys, in an attempt to rectify the prop issue I found these out from another kit, but still using the Halifax spinner.

The one on the left is the full kit version, the one on the right is the borrowed props with Halifax spinner.

IMG_8859.jpg

Deacon

OK guys, in an attempt to rectify the prop issue I found these out from another kit, but still using the Halifax spinner.

Deacon

That will make a significant difference to the look of the thing. I wonder if you will be able to stop there or will AMS destroy your summer> lol!

Edited by per ardua ad ostentationem

Going to watch this one for hints too, got one of these in the stash (and it was one of the choices I had for this GB) but decided on building the Stirling.

OK guys, having seen what the engine nacels should look like and what they are in The kit, I just had to have a go at improving them.

Here is a start, sorry about the quality of The photo.

IMG_8867.jpg

The hope is to drill out the circles and then 'blend them' into each other.

Cheers

Deacon

There are (or were if not still available) some aftermarket replacements for the radiators which include the bit in the middle. Checked Hannants and not listed anymore, but you might find them somewhere else. I did notice however the up and coming new tooling Revell Halibag listed on Hannants for £20....getting excited now !

Thanks woody, but I think I'm almost there with the radiator grills now.

Here are a couple of my shots. I realised that I couldn't leave the tubing on as it made the grills flush with the front of the nacel. So I took them off

and have used some thin wire to give a raised edge around them.

IMG_8722.jpg

IMG_8723-1.jpg

I must be mad! :shrug:

Deacon