New Club Layout

'V'

Back on 11th April while discussing plans for the clubs August exhibition it was mentioned that it would be good if we could have

a simple layout that we could let children drive - too often there's a severe "Don't touch" environment, not the best for kids !!

So being stupid I said O.K I'll do one, but will want the timber at least paid for by club funds. On that evenings 'Tea' rota list

I drew highly detailed plans :-

IMG_2870.jpg

Then on 15th April I bought the required timber.

IMG_2817.jpg

More or less one week later things were like this.

IMG_2853.jpg

The track to run on a raised bed, but inside a bowl created by the outer frame to prevent anything being knocked

off onto the floor. Split into two halves joined by hinges that were to carry the track power between the two boards.

This folding design to fit inside a small family car (my Daewoo Matiz)

More in the next posting.

'V'

Right, on with the story ......

It didn't take long to have both tracks laid with a 100% result in first running tests.

Obviously with no points two simple power bus circuits were used with every individual

piece of track having it's own link to power. Two driving desks are included to keep two

children far enough away from each other to cut down on arguments !!

IMG_3072.jpg

Track painting and ballasting take ages without much to show, but while building the station was slow at

least there's something to show for it.

IMG_3091.jpg

Not only should it look good with Thomas & friends, but I could now 'play' trains as work continued.

IMG_3102.jpg

The deep board design allowed a hill in one side, with a corresponding hollow into which the island in

a lake fits when the boards are folded together.

Time for Pt.III

'V'

Right Part III, Not bad going so far for 7 weeks work.

To hide the hinged join a road with bridge and tunnel was constructed out of remaining

scraps from the original 8' x 4' sheet of thin ply. My imagination had to work hard to find

a suitable design.

IMG_3144.jpg

Gradually the styrene landscape base was covered with a layer of 50% finishing plaster & 50% sawdust. The

road ridge having quarry faces, one falling into the lake, the other with a small farm track taking a road to

fields.

IMG_3170.jpg

Today I split the boards to make adding the scenic scatter that make up the embankments and hill easier

to lay. Tomorrow I hope to finish this side which although started I've not yet photographed.

IMG_3183.jpg

I think it'll take another 7 - 10 days to complete.

'V'

Thanks for that Silver Fox,

You got in while I was still adding my postings ..... I only add a limited amount each posting otherwise it's not unknown to

suffer a 'time out' and loose what you've typed !!

Super that you commented as our club is Silverfox DCC MRS ......

'V'

O.K. I was joking that I'd get a side finished today ........

But Thomas was out pulling the kiddies milk train !

IMG_3184.jpg

So some of the embankment now having greenery ! That lake looks like a road, but not painted yet and

multiple coats of gloss varnish should have it looking like a lake !

A tin of USN gloss sea blue fell out of a cupboard today, I think it was suggesting I should try that for deeper

parts of the lake, but it needs to be greeny ........

'V'

Still laying turf ......

Ridge road with PVA still wet & not all covered.

IMG_3194.jpg

Quite like the lake colour change, but look at all that area to cover with greenery !!

IMG_3195.jpg

'V'

Hi Enzo

The timber piles are in fact the back wall of the small station lakeside platform.

These provide support to the platform which is somewhat wider than the timber

track bed. Glued to the platform & lake .....

IMG_3156.jpg

As to the lake I've still not done the multi coats of gloss varnish, and before I do

that I'll probably just add a little more blue. Best I've got is a short video.

http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z295/da...nt=MVI_3113.mp4

Still a little way to go

'V'

I definately can't show this thread to the children as I've been saying we have no room for a train layout. Looks great. One minor thing, I think the cars are too modern for Sodor.

Beautiful modelling, you have givern me so many ideas. Thank you.

3 days since my last overview picture .....

And I've still not finished grass laying, jut one little area left for Sunday morning.

IMG_3210.jpg

I would love to have matchstick fence posts threaded with fine fishing nylon to fence in the track.

However as this is to be reasonably childproof it's a non starter. Not only that but fencing should

nearly always be at the top of embankments and as this folds in two there wouldn't be enough

clearence.

My sheep, cows, and scouts will need to be very careful or there could be a nast accident !!

'V'

Still things to do !

Looking O.K to me though.

IMG_3228.jpg

Must paint that platform timber back wall - looking far to bright in that last posting.

'V'