Late entry pair of Hawks

Graham77

Hi guys just a quick post to join this build with 2 Italeri 1/48th Hawks. One will be a Red Arrow the other a black FRADU jet in the NAVY FLY 100 colour schemes.

Some pics of the kits

IMG_0726.jpg

IMG_0727.jpg

IMG_0728.jpg

So far I have done a bit of priming and built the seats and the internals ready for joining the halves of both fuselages. watch this space for some photos soon

Cheers for now

Graham

Edited by Graham77

Time to get a move on with these. I am trying to build them at the same time so lots of fiddly photo etch for the two cockpits to start with and some priming a spraying of the pieces needed to put the two fuselages together. Just a couple of picks of the Red Arrow although both jets look the same at the mo.

IMG_0787.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

Only had one problem so far with the flight instrument decal. Using the PE parts the kit has a decal that just has the gauges and this shows through the PE dials. I had attached these to the back of the PE part and all was good. Forgot to seal one of them and when I attached it to the instrument panel the glue seemed to dissolve the decal. Fortunately I was able to trim the full cockpit decal and replace the destroyed one, but was a little lesson to pay a bit more attention, so less rushing more care from now on.

Next job is to add the weights to the front and join the fuselage halves. Should be able to quickly then add the wings (at least dry fitting seemed to show no problems) and the intakes and the jets will be ready to fill, sand and prime, hopefully over the weekend

Thanks for looking and thanks to the other guys building these jets for their tips and advice

Graham

Some more updates on the progress. Fuselage halves joined

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

Wings and intakes added (tailplane dry fitted)

IMG_0798.jpg

Almost ready now for some priming just some filling to do first. Here is the current production line waiting for some fill, sand and prime

IMG_0800.jpg

Thanks for looking

Graham

Looking good!

Nice to see that you have extended the main footstep - remember that you also will have to extend the forward step as well!

The use of these steps was the most difficult thing I had to explain to aircrew at Valley when I was the Training NCO there.

What happens is that, if you start out by putting the wrong foot on the main step, you'd end up in the wrong cockpit.

If you started off with the right foot on the main step, your left foot would go forward - and you end up in the front cockpit.

To get into the rear, you start out with your left foot on the main step, your right would then go to the pad on the top of the intake, and you'd be in the rear.

As an aside:

When I flew with Fl Lt Phil Tolman, (the first Hawk display pilot), we had the problem that, when he pulled about 9g the main footstep would extend - and he would have to curtail the flight.

BAe, in their wisdom, fitted a strain gauge on his A/C and decreed that it was safe for him to continue with his display - with the footstep extended!

Cheers, Brian

Thanks for the comments guys, my list of jobs for these two was fairly high with time running out now i'll have to work out the step at the front aswell. I guess some thin wire and some dremmel action to scribe out where it would fold into should do the trick (gently of course).

Cheers

Graham

<br />Thanks for the comments guys, my list of jobs for these two was fairly high with time running out now i'll have to work out the step at the front aswell. I guess some thin wire and some dremmel action to scribe out where it would fold into should do the trick (gently of course).<br />Cheers<br />Graham<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Graham,

In case you haven't seen the front footstep folded out, it is just a simple hinged bar (with a bit of a taper IIRC).

But I'm sure you'll find a picture of it online.

Cheers, Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Brian I think I have found it on the model and have a plan to put it on after the paint has dried, watch this space...

As for progress it has been slowed by my little lad starting to walk and the new found joys of chasing him round the house and anywhere else he can get into now. The two hawks have been filled, sanded, primed, filled sanded and reprimed and now the first layer of colour is on them. Lots of red and black bits and then a close up on the two jets

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

Hopefully get on with some more over the weekend and they'll be done in two weeks (aargh.....)

Cheers for looking

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

Finished just in time

IMG_0849.jpg

will have a search on the camera and see if there are any other build photos worth putting up but it was pretty much straight from the box, just need to coat with klear tomorrow to seal but they are better than i had hoped for at the start of the week so i'm chuffed with this pair

Cheers

Graham