Paint removal technique, help.

Hi,

I have come back to modelling after many years away and have found so much pleasure in this, however this time around the research is as much fun a the build.

The first kit I attempted a couple of years ago was a Trumpeter Lightning F Mk 3 which I built 'out of the box' but it was missing the paint chart. I made it up using the box top art work and now it looks so wrong it makes me itch. Dark sea grey over light aircraft grey with early 60's decals.

Could anyone please inform me of the best way to remove humbrol enamel (2 coats of brush painted grey and one of satin laquer) from this kit so I can start again using the modeldecal sheet I have bought for this aircraft (1960's all metal 19 squadron RAFG).

Thanks and sorry if this is posted in the wrong area.

Cheers. :-)

Could anyone please inform me of the best way to remove humbrol enamel (2 coats of brush painted grey and one of satin laquer) from this kit so I can start again using the modeldecal sheet I have bought for this aircraft (1960's all metal 19 squadron RAFG).

The best I've come across is drain cleaner.

Get it from your supermarket or hardware store.

If they have the gel type, it's even better, because it sticks to the plastic.

Wear plastic gloves and specs. It should strip in half an hour.

Dave.

Thanks every one for your help.

I have bought some model-strip as suggested in the 2nd post and will try it, I'll post the results up when I get home on leave and give it a go!

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks every one for your help.

I have bought some model-strip as suggested in the 2nd post and will try it, I'll post the results up when I get home on leave and give it a go!

It works incredibly well! Used it and have now stripped another Lightning. Also I was amazed at how good the aerosol Humbrol Metal Cote aluminuim is.

Pics up soon, once I get me, a camera and my models together!

Thanks, as always for the advice.

If the methods suggested above don't work, you could try Tesco's Value All Purpose Cleaner. It costs about 30p a bottle (literally), and is a good deal less nasty than brake fluid/oven cleaner. It even has a fresh fake lemony smell! I managed to strip very thick 8-year old Humbrol paint (enamel and acryllic) off a Vulcan with it, so it should work wonders on a recently-painted Lightning.

(1960's all metal 19 squadron RAFG).

Just thought I'd point out ( so you don't waste all that time and effort removing the paint only to make another error), 19 squadron didn't fly the F.3, no RAFG squadron did. They only had the F.2, F.2a and T.4