AMX-30 tracks

pigsty

For my sins I have Heller's AMX-30 and AMX GCT in the stash. The tank will be an early model while the SPG will be in later colours. The tracks on both are dire so I've been looking at replacements. We seem to have Friul, Phebus and Heller to choose from, although I've yet to see more of the Heller ones than a picture of the box.

Poking around the Phebus webshite I find that there are old and new styles of track. So I assume I need one of each for my plan. But Phebus actually has only new-style available, so I know I need to look elsewhere if I want old ones. So, Friul or Heller, I assume. But Phebus gives no illustrations, and neither Friul's nor Heller's identifies which they are. I've assumed Heller's were original, and Friul's look similar; but on searching the interweb I've not been able to spot any differences from one picture to the next, and I've found no text to make matters clearer.

So - what are the differences between old and new AMX-30 tracks, and which aftermarket version is which? Does anyone know? And does it matter?

• 5 months later...

The has been an old company Gum Ka that had the AMX-30 tracks in plastic but these have been out of sale for a long time.

GUM2005041202.jpg

The metal Fruil tracks are of the similar style tracks which as far as I know are the old style tracks.

The Diehl 234 tracks with the rectangular track pads are the ones used on later versions of the AMX-30 family of vehicles.

Phebus Creations from France lists these new type tracks. (set 35VM011)

This is a photo from a friends webpage:

phebus_chenilles_amx30_008.jpg

Hope this helps,

Marcel

For my sins I have Heller's AMX-30 and AMX GCT in the stash. The tank will be an early model while the SPG will be in later colours. The tracks on both are dire so I've been looking at replacements. We seem to have Friul, Phebus and Heller to choose from, although I've yet to see more of the Heller ones than a picture of the box.

Poking around the Phebus webshite I find that there are old and new styles of track. So I assume I need one of each for my plan. But Phebus actually has only new-style available, so I know I need to look elsewhere if I want old ones. So, Friul or Heller, I assume. But Phebus gives no illustrations, and neither Friul's nor Heller's identifies which they are. I've assumed Heller's were original, and Friul's look similar; but on searching the interweb I've not been able to spot any differences from one picture to the next, and I've found no text to make matters clearer.

So - what are the differences between old and new AMX-30 tracks, and which aftermarket version is which? Does anyone know? And does it matter?

First af all, you can check this forum, where there are numerous topics (Some really heated) about those tracks. There are some guys with close relation to heller here, and some good informations.

About your kit, I can't really talk about the SPG, but for the tank, I understand that you want an early model? We talk about an AMX-30B then (Not the official designation), to make the difference with the B2.

The last B in regimental service were out in 1997, and they were equiped at the time with the "old" tracks (Dead tracks). A few of them (Less than a squadron), in service with one unit in a gunnery school, did saw its panzer equiped with new (live) tracks.

B2 can have both kind of tracks, depending on the regiment, at which time.

At the moment, both heller and friul make the old tracks, not the new one.

It's only a quick answer, but do not hesitate to ask any question, I'll be pleased to answer.

After all, 15 years as AMX tant commander and platoon NCO left some marks.

:)