How to take measurements of a completed model

bootneck

I have a question for the engineering minded experts (or just practically minded) amongst you:

I am trying to find a way to upscale some models which do not have any plans to work to. I am finding a problem in how to accurately measure awkward shapes (an example could be the shape of an aircraft fuselage along its length, or a ships hull). The practical use would be to upscale (say) a 1/125 model to 1/72, 1/48 or even 1/24 etc.

I'm not talking about the theory of what calculations are needed to identify different scales, but how to physically measure a 3D object (ie a completed model), in plan; profile; head-on and from behind etc., etc.

Working to plans is fine as I can pin the plan to a work surface and use a ruler etc., but trying to measure an actual 3D object which has rounded and undulated form is causing me a bit of a problem.

I would be very grateful if members here could advise me of a method they would use and also their recommendations as to some (affordable) tools to obtain in order to achieve this.

Just need some guidance please. :dunce:

Thanks in advance

Mike

Edited by bootneck

Essentially what you need is a large caliper: two plates that you know are parallel, mounted on a calibrated beam that allows you to fix one and move the other back and forth until they both touch an extremity of the model. Something like the things you used to measure your feet with when you went into Clark's shoe shops. Slight problem is that I don't know where to buy one, but if you have a decently stiff steel ruler two or three feet long you may be able to bodge something with clamps and bits of thick plastic card.

Essentially what you need is a large caliper: two plates that you know are parallel, mounted on a calibrated beam that allows you to fix one and move the other back and forth until they both touch an extremity of the model. Something like the things you used to measure your feet with when you went into Clark's shoe shops. Slight problem is that I don't know where to buy one, but if you have a decently stiff steel ruler two or three feet long you may be able to bodge something with clamps and bits of thick plastic card.

Hi Sean,

that sounds promising. :)

I'll ask around at my local hardware shop if there is something already produced (I'm quite ham-fisted when it comes to two bits of cardboard and some sticky-back plastic thingies!)

Thanks for the suggestion

cheers

Mike