Le Mans Group Build

I've added you to the list, Geoff, so welcome aboard. Lovely choice of car, too.

Would anyone object if we send out reminders by PM in the weeks leading up to the start of the GB?

I've added you both to the list, and welcome aboard.

I might be interested if the new tool Airfix Aston Martin counts and I think a Jaguar they are doing (or have done?).

Both kits are out - I have them in a gift set. The Aston is definitely suitable, but I'm not sure if the Jag competed at Le Mans. If it did, it will need new decals at least.

I've been thinking about this... :hmmm:

I've just been up into my loft investment storage facility and re-discovered two Sauber C9s (one Hasegawa kerbside and a Tamiya full detail), a Jaguar XJR-8LM (Hasegawa kerbside) and an XJR-9LM (Tamiya full detail). Yes, I'd forgotten I had 4 - I remembered the Tamiyas but not the Hasegawas. :rolleyes:

The cunning plan is to practice on the kerbside C9 and XJR-8, then build one full detail kit (or both) for the GB - so count me in!

The timescale means I should finally have a decent digital camera to work with as well - after all, there's only 20 months to go... :photo:

I'm building the Tamiya XJR-9LM at the moment - OOB it's not fully detailled by any means, and some significant bits of the detail that is there is wrong (side intakes and bulkhead mouldings for starters). Fit of some parts is a bit off too.

'Fraid it ain't one of Tamiya's best kits by a long shot...

count me in for this please :jump_fire: ive a couple in the stash.

Gruffers

Duly added to the list, and welcome aboard.

'Fraid it ain't one of Tamiya's best kits by a long shot...

Maybe not, but you're proving that it's no barrier to making an excellent model.

• 7 months later...

I'm just listening to the F1 first practice for the Bahrain GP and have been looking through the site and found that the Le Mans GB is far from dead with some great ideas for entries as well as a start date; it's in my diary now!! I'm being a lot more realistic about my group builds this time around and so will really try my best to complete my own entry.

Welcome aboard guys, plenty of time to sort out a subject Busdriver.

Sure one of those will qualify TPS.

With Obi's continued absence I cannot add your names to the list, can the Mods do this for me?

Edited by Madmonk

I've got a Haeegawa Jag XJR*LM, a Fuji Ford GT40, and Porsche 917.

I'll check for LeMans elegibility when I get home tonight.

Stash check:

That's a Hasegawa Jaguar XJR9LM - the 1988 winning car.

A Fujimi Ford GT40 Mark II - this is the 1966 winning car.

The Fujimi Porsche 917K is a Daytona car.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon

• 2 months later...

I've been trying not to sign up for this as it's too close to being work. Trouble is, I'm looking at this stuff all day and until I read this thread a couple of weeks ago, didn't give them a second thought. Now I'm being constantly tempted.

Damn you Jeff, you're supposed to read what I write and be tempted to spend money, not the other way around. :P

So the shortlist so far just from wondering round the shop this afternoon.

Mustang GT350, Pantera (loads of decals recently released, though the pretty ones may be beyond my modelling skills), 250GTO, last years Dunlop 458 (even using the Fujimi as a base that will be pricey, the decals are 25 quid and then there's the transkit), then there are the new Simil'R kits. I don't want to even contemplate the Porches.

In my old 1:43 resin stash I think there might be a couple of little Abarths and again along that route lies ruin.

And then there are Arena's 1:24 Stratos turbos. Good job Model Factory Hiro kits cost as much as my road car and I;m as tight a ducks bottom unless there's a bar in the room, otherwise I'd really be in trouble.

I suppose I'm in, though hell knows what with yet. It's not like there are 8,000+ subjects to choose from in the history of the race.

Edited by fatbaldbloke

Welcome aboard FBB.

Sounds like you might have a tough time deciding what to build, plenty of time to choose though. Have to admit 1/43 is my favourite scale for racing cars of any formula.

Looking at the dates I'll probably be up to my uxters in dirty nappies and a 2 month old, but I'll stick my name down for this one. I'll enter with the '66 3rd place GT40 from fujimi. The engine halves have been glued together but nothing is painted if thats acceptable?

Welcome aboard Marc,

I think the work done so far easily falls into that allowed within GB rules.

Edited by Madmonk

Hi, by signing up now is there an obligation to participate? I'm just thinking that I'd love to build an Aston Martin DBR9 in the Gulf livery or a Corvette C6R (if such a kit exists). BUT I've asked for my name to be added to the F18 GB and if they both happen at the same time I have no idea if I would be able to get the spare time to do both.

I think I'd be listening to this near constantly every day as motivation! :P

Edited by Frank Fontaine

Hi, by signing up now is there an obligation to participate? I'm just thinking that I'd love to build an Aston Martin DBR9 in the Gulf livery or a Corvette C6R (if such a kit exists). BUT I've asked for my name to be added to the F18 GB and if they both happen at the same time I have no idea if I would be able to get the spare time to do both.

I think I'd be listening to this near constantly every day as motivation! :P

Corvette you have a few choices. Revell in plastic, Scale Motorsport/Le Mans Miniatures in 1:24 resin and Provence Miniatures in 1:43 resin.

DBR9 you're looking at resin kits. Model Factory Hiro in 1:24, Renaissance 1:24 or 1:43 and Provence Miniatures also in 1:43. If you're feeling really flush, ABC make a 1:12 resin.