XX230 63 Squadron RAF Chivenor - FINISHED!

SimonR

Hi all,

Finally got round to starting my Hawk after various distractions (work/babies etc).

I am doing XX230, the 1992 63 Squadron display Hawk from Chivenor in North Devon, my homeland!

Its another all black scheme with two yellow 'arrow' strips underneath.

I chose the old Airfix moulding for this as no need to worry about panel detail, and despite some innacuracies its not a bad kit, and this is really a bit of fun after tackling the Xtrakit Hunter! Will be built pretty much OOB with help from Modeldecal set number 115.

Not had chance to post pics of early progress, but initial coat of gloss black & yellow stripes are on, black needs touching up a bit. Cockipit is also done with scratch built belts added, but its covered up at the moment. Seams maybe need a bit more work underneath as well, looked ok before I put paint on!

Anyway, cheers for now.

Simon

HAWK-GB1.jpg

HAWK-GB2.jpg

HAWK-GB3.jpg

Edited by SimonR

Thanks Mark!

Making a bit more progress but its painfully slow, been v busy at work & home these last few weeks.

Decals are going on, got some touching up to do and then add all the smaller parts, may need to scratch build some of the antenna as the kit seems to be devoid of most of the detailed parts. I had to raid the spares box for the wing fences!

HAWK-GB4.jpg

HAWK-GB5.jpg

Let me know if I have made any glaring mistakes!!

Cheers

Simon

Edited by SimonR

Looking good and a very nice colour scheme, I have that same sheet and I'm very tempted to use those markings on one of the Hawks in the stash.

That kit is old but still quite nice. Unfortunately as you said it's lacking in antennas and fences. The ventral strakes beside the airbrake are also missing. I would leave it as it is, adding these parts would mean the risk of ruining the paintwork. Not worth it IMHO

Calling this one finished I think, still considering adding scratch built antenna at some stage.

Despite the innacuracies its not a bad old kit and really enjoyed alot, in fact I have a couple of Fujimi 1/72 Hawks so I may even crack on with another, tempted by a camo one inspired by Mullers fantastic 63 sdn Hawk!

HAWKGB-F1.jpg

HAWKGB-F2.jpg

HAWKGB-F3.jpg

Cheers

Simon