Xtracrylixs help please.

Fmk.6john

Can you paint enamel on top of xtracrylix and vice versa?, someone told me this may cause problems.

Regards,

John.

Can you paint enamel on top of xtracrylix and vice versa?, someone told me this may cause problems.

Regards,

John.

Hi,

Personally I wouldn't even try! I would imagine that Xtrcrylix over enamel will probably be OK but possibly not so the other way round. Test on some scrap before trying.

Regards,

Thanks for the advice gents, I will use Klear as a barrier and carefully mask to reduce the risk of overlay.

Regards,

John.

I still use a hairy stick for painting, because of an argument with an airbrush many years ago which resulted in Gloss Sea Blue bogies for a week!, so I don't know if this will help you much. I've used other makes of acryllics painted over enamels with no problems (Airfix, Citadel/Games Workship, Lifecolor, Miniature Paints, Polyscale Aeromaster). I just make sure the enamel coat is totally cured beforehand. I've also used the laquer based acryllics from Gunze Sangyo and Tamiya too, no probs with the Gunze on a Klingon Bird of Prey but the Tamiya reacted a bit (though that may have been me starting too soon after the enamel went on!).

I wouldn't try an acryllic base coat followed by enamel though, usually ends up very messy!

HTH

Paul Harrison

Edited by GreenDragon

Unless the enamel is totally dry and cured using acrylic over enamel can result in the finish looking like crazy paving.This seems especially so with Xtracrylix.Paint small detail may be ok but using it over a large area may be a bit dodgy without a coat of klear or something similar to seperate them.I have used enamels over Xtracrylix with a coat of klear and this was fine.